Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New to this, suggestions for first buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:11 PM
kruqnut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this, suggestions for first buy?

Hello, I'm new to all this. I'm interested in buying a 4x4 offroad electric vehicle. I want to do some jumping and zooming around the yard, maybe some climbing etc. I'm not sure what Ishould get. Iwant to get something of quality and I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions. Iimagine I want something with decent ground clearance. Durability is important as well. I'm willing to buy used as well. I've been looking at the classifieds but I don't know where to start really

Thanks for any replies
Old 07-18-2010, 11:23 PM
timmyboy188

Default RE: New to this, suggestions for first buy?

If you JUST want to bash, I would say the E-Revo if you have the money, but the Slash 4x4 is a great as well!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:50 PM
deviltrigger529

Since your new to this I hope your ready to dump some money since you want a 4x4. 2wd is alot cheaper and easier to work on but the advantages of 4wd are awesome. I have both a 2wd slash and an e-maxx which is a 4x4. I love both trucks for different reasons and both have advantages and disadvantages. I love the slash for the durability, lightweight and how easy it is to work on. The E-Maxx is just a whole other animal with the size, brushless and 4wd. Things are alot more complicated with 4wd and with a monster truck you usually need 2 batts. You could get a 4x4 Slash but you still wont have the ground clearance or suspension travel as a monster truck like the Revo or Maxx. You could also look into the Summit which is based off the Revo but a little bigger and has remote locking diffs, I plan on getting one of these eventually, just gotta convince the fiance lol.

All trucks are going to have some weak points but just bash and break and fix it with something stronger, thats all. My E-Maxx and Slash have put up with a beating. The Slash can take alot more though because it weighs so little. A bad impact with a 14 lb truck like the Maxx can do some damage.

If you are a little on a budget I suggest getting used if you want 4wd. I have bought all my RCs used and have gotten awesome deals. I'll explain each a little so you can see. I got my Slash on ebay for $290 shipped with a VXL system installed and 5 NIMH batts, all of which I still use, 3 sets of tires and 2 bodies. My fiances Slash was bought on ebay for $270 shipped with the stock electronics, 1 7-cell NIMH that we still use, RPM arms all around and a 2.4ghz Spektrum DX2.0 radio system. And finally the E-maxx I got on ebay as a roller for $170 shipped and bought the MMM combo for about $210 and had a brushless edition E-maxx for about $380 instead of the $500+ new.

Its all going to come down to what you decide, these are just my experiences and I havent been in the hobby for that long.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:58 PM
kruqnut

Im trying to buy a rustler vxl with velineon brushless motor, comes with a lipo battery too for $150. Not exactly what I was looking for but for that cheap should be ok to beat up and get a feel for the hobby, save up and get an emaxx or something later.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:02 AM
kruqnut

Oh one thing, he said he broke the "inner outer yoke on the right side" not sure what inner outer means lol. Says the part is fairly cheap, I'm not sure what to look for. I'd like to order it ahead of time though, so I get both at the same time. So what am I looking for exactly, any ideas? links?

thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 12:13 AM
deviltrigger529

If the rustler is in decent condition other than the yoke it seems like a decent price. He probably means the inner yoke of the driveshaft on the outside of the tranny lol, which would be the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1466_1331/products_id/158382/n/Traxxas-Heavy-Duty-Differential-Output-Yokes-2]Differential Output Yokes[/link] because I've broken a couple of those on my slash because of the brushless power and the slipper too tight lol. You could get those ones for like $4 or the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1466_735/products_id/17804/n/Traxxas-Differential-Output-Yokes-Hardened-Steel]hardened steel ones[/link] for like $16. Its a simple fix but can be a PITA the first time, it was for me but now its cake.

Also, those lipos batteries need to be babied and can be very dangerous if not taken care of properly. If youre new to them I would suggest sticking to NiMH for now or at least do alot of reading on lipos.

You could also look around more for a little better deal or look into a slash or stampede which are all very much alike. I like the slashes because of the body hanging over the wheels which actually prevents alot of damage.

Getting something 2wd like I said is a good feeler for the hobby. I got the slashes first and loved them then wanted more so I got something bigger and badder like the E-Maxx lol.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:28 AM
kruqnut

I think ill give it a shot and see how it turns out, if I feel the need for 4wd later I can save up and get one later, this should be fun for now, its been almost 20 years since ive had an rc car lol
Old 07-19-2010, 12:35 AM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

How much are you wanting to spend? If your mainly just going to be running around the yard and jumping then I'd go with a Stampede but if your looking at climbing much then you'll need to step up to 4WD. The Stampede's are tough and they're pretty quick. It's just a good starter truck. You can also find them cheap. I'd don't think I'd go with a Rustler from your description of where you're going to drive, they're better for pavement/dirt more than off-road.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:37 AM
theunleet

Ok here is my Two Cents on the VXL Rustler. Its a fairly small truck and it has better clearance than the Slash, and it faster and more powerful(on good batteries). You say you want to just bash around, well you can jump it around the yard, do speed runs down the street, and on my 2-cell lipos i can pop a wheelie and hop up a curb. I did change out my tires to the Traxxas Anaconda tires(Traxxas part #5576R(Tires & Wheels, assembled, glued(All Star chrome wheels, Anaconda Tires, foam inserts, REAR, 1 left 1 right))), but I do more road than offroad with it. I have broken so many parts on it, all plastic, and all very easy to change, although some of them are in tight spots.

You will want to get extras of Traxxas part #3739 Screw Pin Set(As these hold most of the plastic pieces connecting the wheels etc and they might bend if you hit a curb and break a plastic piece). Traxxas part #3752 Stub Axle Carriers(2)(Left and Right) (One of the said broken plastic pieces I have broke the most). Traxxas Part #3632(Caster Blocks, left and right(although you can use both on either side unlike the axle carriers which are labeled)) . And lastly, get a wheelie bar, I know that ruins the fun, but it keeps you from flipping over and rubbing holes into the plastic body, and it has adjustable positions so you can either NO wheelie, all the way up to ALMOST FLIP, Traxxas part #3678(Wheelie Bar Assembled(Fits stampede, rustler, bandit series)).

Hope this helped and didnt confused you too much. This info is only if you go with the Rustler, oh and one last thing. That Lithium Polymer battery that comes with the car, you will need a Lipo-compatible charger to charge it(with balancer and plugs). I can't go into details without writing a whole page worth of stuff about chargers and the battery. As for chargers for that battery, you can go to Hobbyking.com and find an assortment of very good chargers for it like the Turnigy Accucel-6 Charger(Has a balancer also(keeps the cells balanced)). It was $20 plus the shipping charge from hong kong lol, so look around there and maybe buy some more batteries or something for $20-$40 for each Lipo, so you can balance out the shipping.