RCU Forums - View Single Post - New to this, suggestions for first buy?
Old 07-18-2010, 11:50 PM
deviltrigger529

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to this, suggestions for first buy?

Since your new to this I hope your ready to dump some money since you want a 4x4. 2wd is alot cheaper and easier to work on but the advantages of 4wd are awesome. I have both a 2wd slash and an e-maxx which is a 4x4. I love both trucks for different reasons and both have advantages and disadvantages. I love the slash for the durability, lightweight and how easy it is to work on. The E-Maxx is just a whole other animal with the size, brushless and 4wd. Things are alot more complicated with 4wd and with a monster truck you usually need 2 batts. You could get a 4x4 Slash but you still wont have the ground clearance or suspension travel as a monster truck like the Revo or Maxx. You could also look into the Summit which is based off the Revo but a little bigger and has remote locking diffs, I plan on getting one of these eventually, just gotta convince the fiance lol.

All trucks are going to have some weak points but just bash and break and fix it with something stronger, thats all. My E-Maxx and Slash have put up with a beating. The Slash can take alot more though because it weighs so little. A bad impact with a 14 lb truck like the Maxx can do some damage.

If you are a little on a budget I suggest getting used if you want 4wd. I have bought all my RCs used and have gotten awesome deals. I'll explain each a little so you can see. I got my Slash on ebay for $290 shipped with a VXL system installed and 5 NIMH batts, all of which I still use, 3 sets of tires and 2 bodies. My fiances Slash was bought on ebay for $270 shipped with the stock electronics, 1 7-cell NIMH that we still use, RPM arms all around and a 2.4ghz Spektrum DX2.0 radio system. And finally the E-maxx I got on ebay as a roller for $170 shipped and bought the MMM combo for about $210 and had a brushless edition E-maxx for about $380 instead of the $500+ new.

Its all going to come down to what you decide, these are just my experiences and I havent been in the hobby for that long.