Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Why do so many people hate Traxxas???

Old 12-04-2011, 03:16 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Why do so many people hate Traxxas???

Here in Australia there are more lower grade brands than good ones, like hsp, colt, great vigor and HBX, the only big names are Tamiya, traxxas, hpi and hobao. Even then not many parts are stocked at our LHS. 99% of my parts are ordered online., I've found Tamiya, traxxas and hpi parts cheaper online than at our LHS, so what it comes down to is parts availability. I have never had any problems getting traxxas parts cheap.

With that in mind it's a hard call to say Xray is the best, From my point of view that are extremely expensive compared, and the parts are hard to find. Take a simply eBay search, loads of products for traxxas. So does this down fall take away some of X-rays credit?

But traxxas does not have any racing credit, nowadays. So I don't know

It seems the biggest complaints with traxxas is some of there vehicles have weak stock suspension arms and the out dated chassis designs.

Are these real problems that will turn away customers?

The only traxxas problems ive had, revo 3.3 motor mount shifting with a hard roof landing, tyres cracking from age, drive shafts seizing from the beach, rustler and a slashes stock plastic rear dif out puts twisted with bl power, out dated gearbox with the older plastic gears killed with 90a brushless combo, 2 burnt out Titan motors

Mind u I've never had any problems with there plastic drive shafts, I've only heard of problems when u slap on a 150a combo, come on tho what standard 1/10 r/c car doesn't have with 150amps
Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 AM
FNG RIDER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to race on and off road, and worked at a Hobby Shop. Racers will never look toward Traxxas for dedicated racing.  For bashing Traxxas is the perfect choice. Great looking, performance to match, price and many parts and hop ups available.   I can understand why a racer would hate on Traxxas. Traxxas doesn't offer a dedicated racer.  They cater to the hobbyist.  I heard the only 5 percent of rc driver race, which is probably more realistic than 20 percent mentioned.   While working at the hobby shop none of all of our customers raced.  I was the only one and I was an employee.  Currently I only bash my SC trucks, but the X0-1 could entice me back to attempting racing at a Velodrome rc oval venue.  I would attemp the open closed course two lap superspeed class. 
Old 12-05-2011, 02:07 AM
phmaximus

I agree fully, great statement, yes 5% does sound more realistic...

Well back in it's hay day the revo was completive, not so much these days []
Old 12-05-2011, 09:42 AM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been in this hobby for more than 20 years and this debate will never really go away. Doesn't really matter what brand we are talking about either.. While it is true that the fanboys will drive everyone else nuts, Traxxas just seems to have the largest base of customers like it or not. I don't know too many people who have owned a Traxxas vehicle that can really claim and prove they are junk. I've owned just about every kind of vehicle in the last 20+ years and some were better than others. Currently I own about 10 and half of them are Traxxas. Tmaxx, 2 Slashes, Brushless Rustler and a Nitro 4-tec.. Other than running them past their design limitations, I don't have any issues with any of them.. Non at all.. I have more problems with some of the other brands that I have.. I don't race anymore, just bash with friends. I run on average 2 times a week..
On an interesting note. On saturday nights, weather permitting, a bunch of us get together and run night bashing under LED lighting on the streets. .Our vehicle of choice is the Traxxas Slash.. We run a mix of 2wd and 4wd all brushless. the reason we run these is the durability of the trucks.. Other than a few broken arms or hubs from full speed head on crashes, not much else breaks. We've had a few snapped chassis but seriously, I don't think Traxxas envisioned a bunch of idiots crashing head on into each other in the middle of the winter. A simple fix.. thanks pro-line.. and that never happened again..
My point is, I'm not really a fan of any particular brand, it just seems Traxxas knows what the market wants.. Sure some of the marketing is a bit "creative".. but thats life my friends.. I don't really care what the package says, I don't even remember looking at the box when I buy a new one, Just tearing into it.. Why do some of you have an issue with using common parts between the vehicles like traxxas is so famous for? I think its brilliant.. Not too long ago, I blew a diff on my Nitro 4-tec.. I wanted to run the car and after taking it apart, I realized that its the same diff as the Rustler, stampede and Slash.. I have a few of them around and I was up and running in no time.. I can't think of too many other brands except maybe Tamiya that does that. Certainly not HPI,Losi or AE..
Lastly, some complained that the price of there vehicles are too high.. Too high compared to what.. I don't think they are any different that anything else out there.. Electronics and or engines are the bulk of the expense.. They are allowed to make some profit on what they sell.. aren't they.. While I don't agree with calling some of their vehicles new models (just a different body) thats their marketing, not mine and I don't pay attention to it anyway..
Old 12-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nah, come on Foxy, we know the best "brand" has to be Tamiya...

Making stuff from static models, beginner kits, RTRs (cough, Expert Build, I mean.. cough..), to high-end world beating race kits, to unique crazy stuff (semi, tanks, etc.)..

As a brand, it can't be beat..

Just like to stir the pot a little bit, Foxy, don't mind me..

ORIGINAL: Foxy

The best brand overall is Xray.
The fastest brand is determined by the driver, so the metrics for 'best brand' have to be quantifiable; fit and finish, materials quality, design process, manuals, service, etc.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:13 AM
ejc34710

Im fine with Traxxas, their products anyway. Only thing im not a big fan of is the 3.3. I have had more problems with that engine than anything i can remember in my 20+ years in the hobby. It has gobs of power, but just wont hold a tune and is the most finicky engine i've ever messed with. I have a T-Maxx 4909 (first gen with the 3.3) and an HPI Savage, and, i like driving the T-Maxx more. The only weak parts on my Maxx would be the driveline, seeing as it is the 2.5 drivetrain. But, i had major problems with the Savage drivetrain as well. When they were both stock, i can honestly say i had way more problems with the Savage. Constantly killing the ring and pinion with a tired old HPI .25. Well, i siwtched to bulletproof front and rear, and problems with the Savage are now VERY rare, even with a LRP Z28r. I have owned the Maxx for over a year now, and i have NEVER broke ANY plastic on that truck. No bulkheads, shocktowers, A arms, nothin, and its all stock. Just the other day i was driving my Maxx and my bro was driving the Savage, we were doing speed runs down the street and we crossed tracks and tumbled from about 40mph to 0. No damage at all to either truck. Took my Maxx to the local BMX track, beat the crap out of it, only messed up the front diff. WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING TO YOU RC CARS??! Lol. Now i'll start breaking everything, jinxed myself. One thing i do not like about Traxxas is their customer support. Everyone i have talked to is very short, rude, and mis-leading. Alot of other people seem to like their customer support, so i dunno. I like and will but almost any RC brands: TRX, Losi, Associated, Tamiya, HPI whatever. Only company i will not buy or spend 1 penny on would be Kyosho, but thats another story rc plane related.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:47 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

I think the fan boys post the biggest issue, being they seam to think what they got from Traxxas is the best out there...
only problem, they have yet to bur a real RC!
after that they will know the truth.. [:-]
Old 12-05-2011, 11:31 AM
SmOkEeJay

I have 2 Nitro Rustlers, Electric bl Rustler, Losi Mini D/T, Losi Micro SCT and an Electrix Boost. My first hobby grade RC was a Nitro Rustler I bought in 2005. It still runs fine, although I had tons of issues with rear shock towers and castor blocks. My newest Nitro Rustler has never broken anything. My E. Rustler is far from stock, but not because I was breaking parts. I just upgraded parts and have all of the stock parts as spares. I have been running 3s in it for 6 or so months with no broken parts, at all. The Electrix Boost is a great beginner RC as it is very flexible and bends instead of breaks. Losi on the other hand, I can not order servo's fast enough for the Mini DT and the motor took a dump after about 6 months. The combined esc / rx is a horrible idea. Now, the Micro SCT took a plunge off my 3rd story balcony yesterday. Landed on its top. I flipped it over and kept on going. I have never owned an on road rc, but the off road stuff gets no complaints from me if it is Traxxas.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:13 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: cenracer1

I've been in this hobby for more than 20 years and this debate will never really go away. Doesn't really matter what brand we are talking about either.. While it is true that the fanboys will drive everyone else nuts, Traxxas just seems to have the largest base of customers like it or not. I don't know too many people who have owned a Traxxas vehicle that can really claim and prove they are junk. I've owned just about every kind of vehicle in the last 20+ years and some were better than others. Currently I own about 10 and half of them are Traxxas. Tmaxx, 2 Slashes, Brushless Rustler and a Nitro 4-tec.. Other than running them past their design limitations, I don't have any issues with any of them.. Non at all.. I have more problems with some of the other brands that I have.. I don't race anymore, just bash with friends. I run on average 2 times a week..
On an interesting note. On saturday nights, weather permitting, a bunch of us get together and run night bashing under LED lighting on the streets. .Our vehicle of choice is the Traxxas Slash.. We run a mix of 2wd and 4wd all brushless. the reason we run these is the durability of the trucks.. Other than a few broken arms or hubs from full speed head on crashes, not much else breaks. We've had a few snapped chassis but seriously, I don't think Traxxas envisioned a bunch of idiots crashing head on into each other in the middle of the winter. A simple fix.. thanks pro-line.. and that never happened again..
My point is, I'm not really a fan of any particular brand, it just seems Traxxas knows what the market wants.. Sure some of the marketing is a bit ''creative''.. but thats life my friends.. I don't really care what the package says, I don't even remember looking at the box when I buy a new one, Just tearing into it.. Why do some of you have an issue with using common parts between the vehicles like traxxas is so famous for? I think its brilliant.. Not too long ago, I blew a diff on my Nitro 4-tec.. I wanted to run the car and after taking it apart, I realized that its the same diff as the Rustler, stampede and Slash.. I have a few of them around and I was up and running in no time.. I can't think of too many other brands except maybe Tamiya that does that. Certainly not HPI,Losi or AE..
Lastly, some complained that the price of there vehicles are too high.. Too high compared to what.. I don't think they are any different that anything else out there.. Electronics and or engines are the bulk of the expense.. They are allowed to make some profit on what they sell.. aren't they.. While I don't agree with calling some of their vehicles new models (just a different body) thats their marketing, not mine and I don't pay attention to it anyway..

I was shocked about people complaining about traxxas pricees? what are they comparing to???
I love traxxas interchangeabllity, and I have lots of faith with the magnium gearbox. I cantthink of one bad car.

I know of 2 dodgy HPI cars, the E10 & the HPI switch, ive never knowen a r/c car to have such a sloppy steering, excessive movement in the plastic, crazy drive shaft vibrations, no dampining(they bounce) and sloppy diff gear mesh, strang axles, weak engine mount, & lastly in stock form the chassis flexes before the suspenion moves.
truse me I spend alot on my e10 to make it 1/2 good
Old 12-05-2011, 01:37 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear you... In the summer months we run touring cars at our night bashing.. Mostly Sprint 2's, RS4's, the occasional E 4tec and I run a Trinity Tspec.. for durability, the Tspec wins, but for the handling its the RS4... Nothing is perfect but nothing is as bad as some folks want you to believe.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:41 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

I was shocked about people complaining about traxxas pricees? what are they comparing to???
I love traxxas interchangeabllity, and I have lots of faith with the magnium gearbox. I cantthink of one bad car.
Nitro sport anyone?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:26 PM
phmaximus

nitro sport, point taken lol

for there price, its a good first nitro car, its better then getting a jato & killing it, then deciding nitro's are just not your thing.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:32 PM
phmaximus

OMG,
I cant stop it,
Why do i keep defending traxxas,
no kidding im not a die hard fan, if anything im a die hard fan of HPI's touring car bodies but... i did have a slip up with a ABC van body
Old 12-06-2011, 10:47 PM
phmaximus

Hang on, there is one thing i really like from traxxas, its the TQ 2.4ghz 5ch, its the only 5ch pistol grip style controller I know of & its under $100.
4th&5th are controller by a 3 way rocker switch but can be modded with a switch for each channel.
For some of my cars im using the 4&5th for lights & spotlight so the 3 way switch works a treat for that
and one of my cars has 4 wheel steering so i plan to use the 4&5th to controll relays, so on the top position the wheels are straight held with a striped down servo tester, then when u switch it to the middle, it changes the servo input from the servo tester back to the reciver, then when i switch it to the down position I plan to wire up a servo reverser, that way

UP-off
Mid-light on/rear steering on
Bottom- lights on with spotlights on/rear steering on & reversed

how cool is that & the MOFFSET thingys are only $7 pluss postage
Old 12-06-2011, 10:59 PM
xerxes

xerxes tryd 2 b a traxxas hater & ventured out in2 othr brands. but he always cam bak 2 trx.

da magnum trans has provn 2 b da most reliable 1/10 mt trans. da only 1s dat came close, r da 1s who copyd traxxases design
Old 12-07-2011, 01:04 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This forum is not for people to discuss why or why not a certain manufacturer is liked. I'm locking it. Everyone has a right to their opinion, and you may express it if it makes sense within the context of a given thread and isn't offensive.