Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Tamiya TEU-105BK Setup Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:22 AM
rc-kramer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya TEU-105BK Setup Issue

So I recently bought a new ESC to go with the Sport Tuned in my 'Box, and it's just not setting up. I went through the process once and it seemed ok, however when I connected the motor leads, it span up to a pretty decent velocity, but not full, with the throttle in neutral. I can't tell at this stage if I'm connecting the motor wires correctly wrt polarity. I'm guessing I can't have set it correctly the first time, easy to do seeing how difficult access to the tiny button is, but that doesn't explain the problem I'm having...

Now when I turn on the gear, I get a couple of quick flashes from the LED, normal, and with my TX in neutral I press the button, and get a single flash sequence, also normal. Then I go full throttle, press button again, get the double flash sequence, normal. Then I go full reverse and press the button to complete the setup and the LED stays in the double flash stage when it should go out completely to indicate setup is finished.

I have a brand new, fully charged NiMH pack in there, a new Sport Tuned, never run, a brand new R162JE RX, and correct, working crystals. Steering servo works fine so I don't suspect a radio issue. I use a 2PL normally, have the channels both set to NORMAL and ABS is off. TX battery is an 11.1v LiPo with a good charge, ~10.5v. Have tried to repeat setup with another TX (Attack SR) but same problem. I even tried messing with the factory Reverse Lockout and Low Voltage settings to see if I could force the setup to complete, however I never get past the double flash stage! When I turn it off and on again, it just stays the same, and I get no LED indication when I move the throttle trigger.

I'm guessing it is stuck in some kind of infinite loop at the final stage, and required a factory reset to get out of it. Right now, I've switched it off and disconnected the main battery. Is there a way to perform a factory reset, if at all? The instructions are pretty basic and don't mention this at all. I've repeated the setup process a number of times and always get the same result, would connecting the motor wires make a difference? Remember that the motor will spin as soon as I turn the ESC on...

Thoughts and help would be appreciated!!

Old 09-04-2012, 04:52 AM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: Tamiya TEU-105BK Setup Issue

Just so we're on the same page, are the setup instructions the same as the 104bk? Tamiya doesn't have the manual available for the 105bk yet, and the closest one I have is the 104(which appears to be the same only without bec functions).
http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/45041ml.pdf
Old 09-04-2012, 12:19 PM
rc-kramer

I believe so. I have a 104 as well and the setup procedure was the same...
Old 09-04-2012, 04:53 PM
The Mad Modder

Have you tried a different receiver?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:33 PM
rc-kramer

Sure have, 2 in fact, one with and one without BEC and connected a 4AA pack to it... must have gone through this procedure at least 20 times, still the same, just won't get past the double flash stage.

Thinking I'm going to have to send it back...
Old 09-05-2012, 04:28 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: rc-kramer

Sure have, 2 in fact, one with and one without BEC and connected a 4AA pack to it... must have gone through this procedure at least 20 times, still the same, just won't get past the double flash stage.

Thinking I'm going to have to send it back...
Yeah, it does sound like a defective esc. They mention in the instructions that if it has a fault or malfunctions to contact your local agent/dealer. Your agent would be Trevor Bringans ltd.
http://www.bringans.com/
Old 09-05-2012, 05:46 AM
rc-kramer

I usually deal with faulty items with a cricket bat. Besides, I never buy anything from my not-so-local hobby shop, except paint, which most places don't like to ship anyway, which is fine as it's not actually too expensive for the Tamiya cans. I shop almost exclusively on the 'Bay, you wouldn't believe how their prices compare to over here... and longest I've waited for a package was 3 weeks, and that was from the US; from HK it's usually a week!

Mind you, I did send a cellphone back to HK once, for a replacement. They decided to repair it, I found out it needed to go to Singapore, so got them to send it there, and about 8 months later I got a new phone, after I had to call them again and pay for the return shipping... and the phone I got wasn't even the same one, probably someone else's 'repair'.

I'd rather just buy another one, these 105BK's are like $30 if you opt for bulk packaging!!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:51 AM
rc-kramer

Oh, FYI, I connected the motor wires and turned it on. Sure enough, the wheels span immediately, but stopped when I pressed the button on the ESC. Great! I was able to enter the set up procedure again, hopefully this time it would complete...

Ahh, no. Exactly the same, off and on again and wheels powered up as before. Must be some kind of programming issue, I'm hoping there isn't a whole batch of them like that flying out of retailers!!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:39 PM
flourine coated

never tried the 105 yet but you could try disabling the reverse then try the set up again, just a thought and worth a poke before you give up completely , i had similar issues with the 104 that came with my M-05, disabled the reverse and it set up fine then turned the reverse back on and still fine.
good luck.
oh and check that your epa and trims are all at neutral!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:02 PM
rc-kramer

Yeah, I tried everything. Ended up sending it back. Just palced another order with same supplier so should get the replacement soon... was no doubt bad code.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:53 AM
nugundam93

hi everyone. i'm new (again) to the hobby, and times were simpler back then (had a tamiya thundershot rc). a few months ago, a friend gave me his unbuilt tamiya 1/10 fj cruiser to customize to look like his rig. fast forward to earlier today, and as i was trying everything out, to my dismay (and a shattered custom ARB rear bumper), it seems that if you turn the transmitter off before you turn off the rc, one of two things will happen, depending on what your last throttle action was:

-forward: rc just stops
-reverse: rc will reverse until you catch it in time, or until an obstacle stops it

i've followed the setup instructions and even tried to re-do the setup multiple times after this incident but it still keeps happening. as per Karl in http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-e...g-beeping.html, it seems there's a safety feature on the 101BK which i am led to believe that if the transmitter is accidentally shut off while operating the rc, the rc will just stop dead in its tracks, no go wild like a depleted Eva-01 (hahaha).

has anyone encountered this situation and if so, how were you able to resolve it?

RC info: 1/10 tamiya toyota fj cruiser (orange) cc-01
controller: tamiya finespec 2.4G (box has the TEU-105BK esc, TRU-08 reciever and TSU-03 steering servo)

Thanks.

Last edited by nugundam93; 11-11-2015 at 05:57 AM. Reason: grammar, lol
Old 03-26-2017, 01:39 PM
Jbrewer713

I know the feeling you have to follow the instructions to the T to reset the ESC . The first time took me two hours it's more like going with the colors in the order they say.