Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Need some advice on a new on-road 1/10 scale car

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 10:40 AM
vallance1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on a new on-road 1/10 scale car

I loved RC cars when I was younger and have been back in the hobby for around a year and learning an awful lot! I have a couple of Tamiya trucks, which I have modded, but I would really like to get an on-road car with a classic 1969 mustang body. Does anyone have any advice? I have looked at the Vaterra, which looks really nice, but not sure if they are any good or can be upgraded easily. I want a car that has some speed and good handling, but is not going to cost me £400!

Any advice appreciated for either a kit or RTR model, with or without a body.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:23 PM
Jbrewer713

Check my gallery and I hope it could help you on the way you want to build your car I used both tl01 and tt02 chassis to do this.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:52 PM
vallance1981

Superb, thanks! That looks the Vaterra shell on the tt01? How does it run? What setup do you have and what is the handling like? Thanks.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:30 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You can put the mustang body on most any 1/10 touring car. I have a couple and have run them on an Associated TC3, Tamiya TT01, and an HPI RS4.
As far as Vaterra goes, I havent seen anything bad about them. Looks like they can take brushless motors, not a ton of hopups for them.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:56 PM
Jbrewer713

Ya I see what you sad but I used the vaterra bodies but used tt02 and tl01 chassis because those chassis have plenty of hop-ups. I just took my silver with the red rally 71 Camaro out today to test the new motor it was a load of fun the only thing I have to do is change the shocks.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:59 PM
Jbrewer713

Have you though about building one from scratch like getting a used tt02 or tl01 chassis and get a vaterra body of your chose.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:39 PM
vallance1981

I have. I think I might go tt02 with vaterra body. Any advice on hop ups? Motor and speed controller?
Old 03-30-2017, 07:51 PM
Jbrewer713

You can go on eBay and find all the hop-ups for the tt02 but if you get the all aluminum kit switch the drive axles from aluminum to spring steel because if you put high out put motor in it with gears it will twist the axles. I did it. Change the servo to a savo high torque steel gears water proof servo, as for radio and receiver combo I'll leave that to you but really its depend on your budget and what you are comfortable with. I used a exrun motor and esc the motor is a 3.5t brushless. As for a spur gear I ordered a stainless steel 66t spur and a .06 mod 32t pinion with a 3s venom battery and I have no complaints that car fly. I taped the tires on the inside so it wouldn't balloon.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:46 AM
vallance1981

My car is all setup now Jbrewer713 and running like a dream! I was just wondering how you fitted the Vaterra shell to the tt-02 chassis?
Old 05-25-2017, 12:33 PM
Jbrewer713

How I did was placing the body over the chassis with body post to get a rough estimate of your center. After that find the placement of your rear body post because they are longer take in the account of the angle of the back window take your time and start small measuring and reaming to the proper size. Once you got rear done slide the body on until fron post touches the body then center the front and use a marker if the body is already painted but trust me it's way easier to do the mock up on a clear body. So after you used the marker to mark the outer edge of the front post take a measurement of the outside dieamiture of the body post using a machinist ruler and after that then you can find you're center within the body post .Do the same to the front like have done the rear measure and ream a little at a time to the size . Once completed do a final fit test and adjust as needed in all the bodies I've do it was very little adjusting. I hope that was enough but if you have more questions then feel free and ask .