Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

the OFFICIAL R-40 thread !

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Saboteur10573

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the OFFICIAL R-40 thread !

The mugen, kyosho, and serpent arent much lighter than the R40. Infact there IS no advantage to acceleration in the weight difference - all you'd get is car reaction time. I ran a box stock R40 against my friends MTX4 on one of my local tracks. He ran the RB X12 while I had the OS .12TR. I kept up with him and passed him in some places. His only advantage was on the straight away. It just goes to show who is behind the wheel of the vehicle and has a better setup. The R40 stock has a really nice setup and the car is planted. Parts are cheap and you get tons in the trees which is why I stay with it for now. I run 8th onroad also (mugen) so having two mugen cars will really eat $$$.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:27 PM
rushdude
My Feedback: (1)

Use less of the spacers, try one or two.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Saboteur10573

ORIGINAL: WillisMcGuiness

Hey I finished building my r40 hara (thanks to you guys helping me) but i have a problem withe the centax clutch.[:@] When i screw in the clutch screw to hold the bell on, the tighter i go the harder it is to turn the clutch bell (and not the flywheel)... i dont know what the problem is. What are your guy's set ups for the clutch.[:-] For example, like "I have ball bearing "B029" before the clutch bell and 3 spacers after the clutch bell..." sumpin like that
thanks
Depending on the length of the crankshaft and what shaft the engine has determines how much shims you'd use. I use no shims behind the flywheel therefore allowing me to use a total of 4 shims (2 silver, 2 copper).
Old 07-30-2006, 10:38 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Saboteur10573

Great here. I do need a new .12 and .12 pipe though. I'm eying the JP stock .12, but I'm torn between the .12TZ, EB mods TZ, and the Mega ZX12 which all I've seen in races are pretty fast.
From what I've seen, there is a race spec .12TZ. See the following link:

http://www.rcdriver-online.com/index...article=369708

The article is in French, but I hope the pics speak for themselves.

From the pics, the ports are milled to the max such that it does not need to be ported to squeeze out max power. As a matter of fact, the engine is so ported out that any modder will have a hard time trying to port it any more. This engine has got to make the R40 pull some sick accelerations!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:50 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: rushdude

If you switch to a hara and get the lw parts it will put you at the roar limit of 1725 grams for racing.
Just out of curiosity, what is the weight of the stock $200 R40? I didn't know there was a minimum weight limit. Does thie weight limit include the engine, exhaust, all elctronincs (including transponder), fuel and oils? Does the Hara Ed out of the box get close to this limit? I've never had to worry about minimum weight; my local tracks do not impose such restictions.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:59 PM
rushdude

The car is weighed after the race. Whatever is on it is weighed, transponder body. In a higher level race they will dump the fuel out and than weigh so the weight is without fuel. A box stock r40 will weigh around 1950 probably a little more. A box stock hara weighs around 1775 stock. If you get all the lw option parts like the titanium screw kit and install it on the hara it puts you around 1730 which is perfect.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:01 PM
rushdude

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Great here. I do need a new .12 and .12 pipe though. I'm eying the JP stock .12, but I'm torn between the .12TZ, EB mods TZ, and the Mega ZX12 which all I've seen in races are pretty fast.
From what I've seen, there is a race spec .12TZ. See the following link:

http://www.rcdriver-online.com/index...article=369708

The article is in French, but I hope the pics speak for themselves.

From the pics, the ports are milled to the max such that it does not need to be ported to squeeze out max power. As a matter of fact, the engine is so ported out that any modder will have a hard time trying to port it any more. This engine has got to make the R40 pull some sick accelerations!
That isnt really the best version of the tz. If you wait for the zeppin modded tz which is around the same price, the work on that is 10x better and it includes ceramic bearings.

http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....ducts_id=10549
Old 07-31-2006, 06:17 AM
Saboteur10573

I am aware of both engines as well as all the other new .12s, .21s, etc that's been coming out. I'm just deciding on which one to go with since I'm NOT spending $400+ on an engine..both .21 and .12. When I get other things situated I'll make the purchase.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:41 AM
Burntt32

my outlaw .18tzp is pretty damn nice.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:27 AM
rushdude

I am aware of both engines as well as all the other new .12s, .21s, etc that's been coming out. I'm just deciding on which one to go with since I'm NOT spending $400+ on an engine..both .21 and .12. When I get other things situated I'll make the purchase.
Have you seen any sts engines run?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:35 PM
SAVAGEJIM

That isnt really the best version of the tz. If you wait for the zeppin modded tz which is around the same price, the work on that is 10x better and it includes ceramic bearings.

http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....ducts_id=10549
That too is a sick modded engine. A guy who runs at our local track has this engine. It totally spanks the competitions especially when coming out of turns and when accelerating. As far as the .12 TZ I saw in that French article, I think that TZ is a factory production TZ (I wish I could understand French!).

I'm not sure, but I think the French version of the TZ is ported more radically than the Zeppin TZ. The durations may be the same, but by the looks of the French TZ, the French one will flow more fuel/air mixture. For port timing, I think both engines will have similar timings since the case would be the limiting factor as to how much duration you can give a given sleeve. As far as the crank, I think the Zeppin crank has the advantage of being lighter and exhibiting less moment of inertia; this translates into the engine accelerating to faster RPMs more quickly.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:41 PM
rushdude

http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....ducts_id=10507

Yeah, the one you saw in the french article is o.s's speed tuned version of the tz.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:08 PM
D-Nicest

Problem with the speed tuned is that it does not get great fuel mileage. It is probably one of the fastest enginies out there for its price.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:05 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: D-Nicest

Problem with the speed tuned is that it does not get great fuel mileage. It is probably one of the fastest enginies out there for its price.
Thats true. Since the French TZ's ports have more area, ite will suck more fuel. From the pics of the Zepppin TZ sleeve, they cut Schnuerle channels towards the rear of the side ports instead of cutting Schnuerle dips. These Schnuerle channels do the same trick without increasing the port opening area.

The thing with the French TZ is that it comes like that from the factry. I'm not sure (I could be wrong), but I think the Zeppin TZ is not ROAR legal since it is modded. The French TZ would be ROAR legal in this case because it is factory production (unless ROAR also has rules specifically stating that the ports must be oval or rhomboid shaped and/or prohibit any sort of Schnuerle dips or channels in the ports or on the sleeve below the ports).
Old 08-01-2006, 10:48 AM
rushdude

The zeppin is roar legal.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:07 PM
ProE

Just ordered my Zeppin motor right now. I cant wait for them to deliver it.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Saboteur10573

I'm debating on the Zeppin. Thing is from most of the top racers I know they say the OS doesn't last long...but the motors make great power. I love the JP...just not the price. Honestly I've seen a lot of fast guys with the stock OS .12TZ or the Mega ZX12 DSII. For the price they are great and parts are cheap. Even for the big tracks that ZX12 in the Serpent which wasn't modified was pretty fast...quite unexpectedly fast![X(]

Rush- The Modified STS with the green heatsink I've heard was a monster and cheap for the price. I may try one of those. Otherwise the N12LL3 will be my engine choice. I already have the Carlsen Modified ZX21 coming from a friend for my MRX4. My Nova top is great, but parts are rare so it's just going to be used for a practice motor.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:15 PM
D-Nicest

Honestly sab J.P.'s are overated. Reason why they can charge that much is because of there rep and who uses them. The tz is one of the fastest motors at the track right now. Also the modified serpent maxy engines are beautiful. If you want modified power go with that or the TZ. Mega MF12 3P MasMo is the name and the work on this one is official, don't worry about the name it is a maxy motor, which is novarossi based. When looking at motors try not to pay so much attention to the piston sleeve, it is the crankshaft that makes the biggest difference. Believe me. The zeppin modified does have some nice cuts plus it's epoxy balanced.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:02 PM
SAVAGEJIM

The zeppin is roar legal.
Thanks for the info. My local tracks do not practice ROAR rules, but they are considering doing so since their goal is to try to get into recognized RC racing.

Thats cool modded engines are ROAR legal; I was under the impression that ROAR prohibited and mods.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:46 PM
rushdude

I'm debating on the Zeppin. Thing is from most of the top racers I know they say the OS doesn't last long...but the motors make great power. I love the JP...just not the price. Honestly I've seen a lot of fast guys with the stock OS .12TZ or the Mega ZX12 DSII. For the price they are great and parts are cheap. Even for the big tracks that ZX12 in the Serpent which wasn't modified was pretty fast...quite unexpectedly fast![X(]

Rush- The Modified STS with the green heatsink I've heard was a monster and cheap for the price. I may try one of those. Otherwise the N12LL3 will be my engine choice. I already have the Carlsen Modified ZX21 coming from a friend for my MRX4. My Nova top is great, but parts are rare so it's just going to be used for a practice motor.
I would try the sts d12x. I run the D3R which is a great engine, it has the low end that the novarossi's and such has the only edge that novarossi's have on this engine is a little on a long straight. sts's are made to last longer if you follow their break-in instructions. It took me about 3/4 of a gallon to break it in, after that i replaced the con-rod and leaned it out a little after each tank. It didnt really start making a lot of power until after 1 gallon. A guy from sts told me this is normal, if you are patient while breaking in these engines they will last a really long time i was told.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:58 PM
LiL_D

this is my engine guys,. http://cms.teamorion.com/FAQ/Wasp+Rev+CRF+Facts
Old 08-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Saboteur10573

D- I can't find the piston/sleeve set for the EB Mods TZ at all. I'd just have to get the original then. Here's the thing if I can't order it online I'd have to buy in person. The only engine offered nearest me is the Sirio Evo 3. He can get parts for it no problem and it is a fast motor. I may go with that.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:25 AM
D-Nicest

Remember what I told you about the evo 3, there is a problem with the placement of the conrod on the cranckshaft making those motors blow easily. You can't buy the tz eb mods piston sleeve seperately because they don't sell it. You have to buy the whole engine. My job sells the regular and the eb mods. If you want a sirio see if you can find an evo 2, which are the motors they display with the kyosho 1/10 because they don't have the same problems that the evo 3 have. I run a evo 2 now, ans it is super fast. Not A whole lot of punch but a bunch of horsepower.
[:-]
Old 08-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Saboteur10573

Cool beans. I do remember finding the Evo1 and 2 quite easily. If I can bag a two that'd be fine otherwise OS or Mega ZX12 it is. What a pain EB mods don't sell the sleeves.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:13 PM
D-Nicest

Go with a regular tz, the powerband is better all around. Trust me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.