Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more
Reload this Page >

Forgive me for I have sinned - Lunchboxer's first non-Tamiya...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Forgive me for I have sinned - Lunchboxer's first non-Tamiya...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Forgive me for I have sinned - Lunchboxer's first non-Tamiya...

LOL, I was never against other brands.. I just prefer Tamiya, that's all... I have always planned to get stuff from other brands...
Old 10-04-2006, 08:13 PM
poe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i know thats a good thing i guess. Maybe you can even get into nitro!!! (just kidding of course)
Old 10-04-2006, 08:15 PM
[]TEX[]

Next year...[>:]
Old 10-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Lunchboxer

I don't mind getting a HPI Baja 5T (Truck version of the 5B, buggy..)

ORIGINAL: poe

yeah i know thats a good thing i guess. Maybe you can even get into nitro!!! (just kidding of course)
Old 10-04-2006, 08:35 PM
SS5800EvADer

i was looking into getting that one but it said only 6 cells is there a way that i can put 7 cells in it
Old 10-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Seek and Destroy

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

I don't mind getting a HPI Baja 5T (Truck version of the 5B, buggy..)

ORIGINAL: poe

Errrr? Theres a truck version of the 5b??

LB, all of these threads, and everyone keeps changing my mind! WHats the next one going to be?

I want one, but I think these will be gone quick. ANd I don't have the money to get one right now.[&o]
Old 10-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Lunchboxer

Not meant to take 7-cells, BUT, no doubt you can make it work.. if you mount the extra cell on top and 90 degrees away from the other cells.. (I have seen that kind of arrangement being sold on eBay..)

Or you just have to make an one-off battery...

ORIGINAL: SS5800EvADer

i was looking into getting that one but it said only 6 cells is there a way that i can put 7 cells in it
Old 10-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Lunchboxer

I think the truck version will be out next year..

Should probably get the TC4 FT as it is being closed out.. then get the T-Egg before it id discontinued.. hee hee..

Maybe I should order like 10 of them and just sell them to others later.. hee hee..

ORIGINAL: rc18t145
Errrr? Theres a truck version of the 5b??

LB, all of these threads, and everyone keeps changing my mind! WHats the next one going to be?

I want one, but I think these will be gone quick. ANd I don't have the money to get one right now.[&o]
Old 10-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Seek and Destroy

I am $130 short of having it. grrrrr. I'll get a t-egg or something then, before that is discontinued.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:44 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: SS5800EvADer

Yup, you can make a custom pack at www.cheapbatterypacks.com
Old 10-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Lunchboxer

You got a credit card?!

Hmm, maybe not such a good idea, if you got no self control.. credit card can be dangerous.. but if you got enough self control, it is useful, I guess.. i.e., when will be the next time you can get a FT TC4 for $199?! So in that sense, you are saving money...

I am $130 short of having it. grrrrr. I'll get a t-egg or something then, before that is discontinued.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:22 PM
[]TEX[]

You got a credit card?!

Hmm, maybe not such a good idea, if you got no self control.. credit card can be dangerous.. but if you got enough self control, it is useful, I guess.. i.e., when will be the next time you can get a FT TC4 for $199?! So in that sense, you are saving money...

Especially when it is retailed at $599.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Seek and Destroy

I would rather use paypal, because it's easy. I wish tc's weren't so much. The rtrs are a little expensive.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Lunchboxer

PayPal -> doesn't let you spend money that you don't have........... (not suggesting you should spend the money that you don't have... but... FT TC4 at $199... I'd borrow money to get it.. ha ha!)
Old 10-04-2006, 09:33 PM
[]TEX[]

PayPal -> doesn't let you spend money that you don't have........... (not suggesting you should spend the money that you don't have... but... FT TC4 at $199... I'd borrow money to get it.. ha ha!)
$599 car for $199....hmm, ya, borrow money man.

I never said that^^^^^^
Old 10-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Lunchboxer

Nah, you know what, we are being bad influences.. [:'(] I am sure good deals will come and go.. maybe in a few months, some other companies will close out some other models, etc. Who knows?!

I guess don't spend the money that you don't have is proably not a bad rule to follow...

We need to teach some basic financial responsibility here!!

- Always participate in 401K if you work for a company that has the plan, at least up to the matching limit
- Put $$$ in IRA or Roth IRA
- Have good debt (mortgage, student loans, etc.) but not bad debts (auto loan, credit card debt, etc.)
- Don't spend what you don't have!

(unless it is a TC4 FC for $199... just playin'... )
Old 10-04-2006, 09:44 PM
[]TEX[]

- Don't spend what you don't have!
Those are all very good rules LB...

I just use cash...
Old 10-04-2006, 11:26 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Lunchboxxer, that sounds so much like you. my car broke. Let's buy a new one to fix it!!

TC4 breaks. It broke. I'll fix it with a HPI 5t!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Lunchboxer

Oh come on.. my cars usually don't break.. I don't bash hard enough!!!

But I guess when you are racing with others (TEX, in this case), you start going faster and faster, and w/ BL powered, you do generate quite a bit of velcoity.. and things break... [:@] (if you hit something..!)

I wouldn't mind getting a belt drive car just to see what it is like.. someone said the XRay T2 is good.. or maybe stick w/ Tamiya for one of them TRF 415 things....

Nah, I shouldn't buy any more RC for awhile.. not like they are cheap.... argh!! [:@]

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

Lunchboxxer, that sounds so much like you. my car broke. Let's buy a new one to fix it!!

Old 10-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Lunchboxer

Besides, I am going to fix up my TB-02! Parts have been ordered.. just waiting for them to come in from Hong Kong, that's all! Gonna take awhile for sure.. [:'(]

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

Old 10-05-2006, 10:30 AM
KilgoreTrout

1. Suggested retail isnt what they actually sell for, you are still saving, but not as much as you are making it out to seem. Actual retail price on tower is 349.

2. Since when is an auto loan considered bad debt? Interest rates are low on them, and usually one needs a car to get to work, to pay off the student loans, home loans, etc. They don't effect you credit score, which to me is what determines good debt from bad debt. Really the only bad debt is the debt you don't pay off. (spending out of your income range)

That being said, I was a tamiya only owner forever until I bought a FT T4, a few months ago, and I love everything about it. The ease in replacing, upgrading parts, durability of the transmissions when using brushless power, even the way they package the parts bags for easy assembling. I am sure you will be very impressed with your first non-tamiya purchase. Don't know if anyone has told you or you already knew but team associated kits dont use screw drivers at all, it is all hex drivers (except nut drivers for the wheels) so make sure you pick up a good set if you dont have one already.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: KilgoreTrout

2. Since when is an auto loan considered bad debt? Interest rates are low on them, and usually one needs a car to get to work, to pay off the student loans, home loans, etc. They don't effect you credit score, which to me is what determines good debt from bad debt. Really the only bad debt is the debt you don't pay off. (spending out of your income range)
I would consider an automobile a horrible investment regardless, so it's bad debt in a way. The minute you get it, it depreciates at a horrifying rate. If one were to get behind on car payments or get into troule while leasing (my brother is in a terrible lease situation of his own fault, and pays a ludicrous amount of $$ per month), that's pretty bad too.

I see your points, and auto-debt is incredibly common - but you can't deny that a car is one of the worst big money investments you can make as far as depreciation goes.

Lunchboxer - you need to buy a Schumacher!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Lunchboxer

Sure, I never said it was $600.. I know how much it is at Tower.. w/ $30 coupon, it was $320.. still, $120 off a typical online retailer.. pretty good!

I considered an auto loan a bad debt because it is a depreciating asset.. but I see your point.. hey, we need a car, right?! It depends on how $$$ the car is, though.. i.e., if you take a loan to buy a $60k car.. compare to buying it outright a $20k car.. hee hee..

Thanks for the heads up on the AE kit! Awesome!! Yeah, I do have hex drivers at home..

ORIGINAL: KilgoreTrout

1. Suggested retail isnt what they actually sell for, you are still saving, but not as much as you are making it out to seem. Actual retail price on tower is 349.

That being said, I was a tamiya only owner forever until I bought a FT T4, a few months ago, and I love everything about it. The ease in replacing, upgrading parts, durability of the transmissions when using brushless power, even the way they package the parts bags for easy assembling. I am sure you will be very impressed with your first non-tamiya purchase. Don't know if anyone has told you or you already knew but team associated kits dont use screw drivers at all, it is all hex drivers (except nut drivers for the wheels) so make sure you pick up a good set if you dont have one already.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:42 AM
KilgoreTrout

bad investment ....... YES bad debt ..... nope. Two VERY different things, IMHO. Your credit rating is actually lowered if you dont ever develop a credit history and when somebody is first starting their adult life I would say buying a car to build credit is much better than running up huge credit card debts with insane APR's.

leasing a car is about the worst thing you could do, especially these days with all the penalties that accrue with general driving performance.

my advice on cars would be to buy used, they dont depreciate thousands of dollars the instant you drive them off the lot.

I'm sure most of this is falling on deaf ears anyhow, since most here don't even have a drivers liscence, let alone the ability to apply for credit cards.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Lunchboxer

Eman77 and I think alike.. ha ha!! I guess I am just more conservative as I age.. still, might just pamper myself by getting some silly expensive car in the future..

What we need and what we "want" are very different, ha ha ha ha ha ha!!

Right now I drive a Toyota w/ 160k miles.. LOL!! And do most of the works on it myself.. so I am cheap............... hee hee..

ORIGINAL: Eman77
I would consider an automobile a horrible investment regardless, so it's bad debt in a way. The minute you get it, it depreciates at a horrifying rate. If one were to get behind on car payments or get into troule while leasing (my brother is in a terrible lease situation of his own fault, and pays a ludicrous amount of $$ per month), that's pretty bad too.

I see your points, and auto-debt is incredibly common - but you can't deny that a car is one of the worst big money investments you can make as far as depreciation goes.

Lunchboxer - you need to buy a Schumacher!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.