Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Phoenix builder

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 08:15 PM
fazerpileit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix builder

Hi, I am looking for help with the phoenix builder software that came with version 5. I Made the model I am working with in blender 3d software. The builder software wont accept the file I output from blender. It seems to import all the geometry but then nothing shows in the window even though its all listed. I found a way to import it into a trial of 3ds max then export in the same format I tried with blender. After numerous applications of my forehead to the computer desk I finally got the model mostly setup and into Phoenix. The first time I had no materials on the plane and couldnt figure out how to get them into the sim. After more application of forehead to desk I got some color on the model. My problem is that the rudder does not display properly. Instead of rotating on the back of the fin as it should, it seperates from the fin in an arc vertically into the ground and over the top of the model. I am new to 3d modeling and the only reason I got into it was to be able to fly this model in a simulator. The model is called a Sweepee. It is a forward swept wing canard that I had built and flown in the early 90s.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sweepee.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	2064530  
Old 01-30-2015, 03:38 PM
fazerpileit

Update. Although I have not resolved the issue with the rudder I have learned a few things I wanted to pass along. I have found that blender files will import into phoenix builder if you check the box "write Normals" in the obj export options. Also, obj files exported from Wings 3d will also import into builder. Both of these programs are free. I must add that having imported the files into Phoenix Builder, I have not finished the process and tested models imported this way in the actual simulator.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Blender obj settings.jpg
Views:	1892
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	2069190  
Old 02-02-2015, 04:32 PM
rickp01

fazerpileit,

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I'd been trying to import Blender .obj files into PhoenixBuilder for a couple of days before I found your post.
Eventual goal is to build an F7F Phoenix model. Ways to go as I'm just getting started with Blender.

You made my day, rick p
Old 02-04-2015, 03:34 PM
fazerpileit

Rick, glad I helped someone. This whole process has been pretty difficult for me. I started working on this model in early september and was trying to import into realflight G3.5. First mistake was that i made the model in the wrong version of blender. Big changes after 2.49. I could never get the blender kex plugin to show up so I never even got close to bringing my model into realflight. Then I read about Phoenix Simulator. Watched the youtube video on how to setup the model. Looked EASY. So I got Phoenix. Not so easy. the best tool for learnin blender is youtube. Lots of great help on there. I am still struggleing with some of it. Materials for one thing. But, I have 2 models that I can fly that I made, which was my goal to start. Good luck
Jerry
Old 02-19-2015, 07:09 PM
rickp01

Jerry,

I've made significant progress since seeing your tip.
You might want to pick up the "Virtual Aircraft" PDF at http://airplanes3d.net/index_e.html
It's great for applying Blender and other graphic tools to aircraft modeling.
My current F7F is looking pretty good and is flying in Phoenix RC.
Still a bunch of cosmetic stuff to do, but happy to be this far along.

You can see my build blog at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post30838950

Cheers, rick p