Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

RC Aerochopper

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 09:34 PM
Skitchen8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Aerochopper

Anyone ever heard of this, it seems to be a pretty old sim, includes a Futaba Conquest radio with all the electronics ripped out so it just connects to a computer. Borrowing it from a real nice guy from a club near me and im wondering if the radio would be able to be plugged in and used with FMS or something on my XP machine (running aerochopper on my 95 and 98 machines).
Old 11-25-2003, 04:15 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: RC Aerochopper

I'm doing exactly the same thing right now. Aerochopper was given to me & has worked acceptably. Up to now, I've had an old computer & that's all that it could run. Now that I have a new computer & can run FMS I am trying to figure out how to make the Futaba controller work with it. A computer geek friend of mine said that I need a "driver". Does anyone know about this or where to find one?

Oh, btw, I did a search & ended up with these results http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sear...5&sortmethod=d

I plan on going through them later & seeing if we can find the answers to our questions.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:35 PM
Skitchen8

Not entirely sure that there would be a driver available for that, there isn't one on the disk I have so I'm not sure, never even thought about that last nite though. I'm gunna find one of my spare serial to USB cables and see if that works on the XP machine (far too lazy to restart just to plug something in) and if not then i'll try it serial, and see if XP will find suitable generic drivers for me.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:50 PM

If you do find a solution, please share it. I read the results from the search that I posted above & didn't find any answers. I'm no computer wizard, so I surely won't be able to resolve this based on my own knowledge. If I do stumble upon an answer, I'll be sure to share it with you too. I'm off to do searching on other forums.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:13 AM
twindaddy_1
My Feedback: (3)

HELP!!! I have been using RC Aerochopper for 10+ years on my old 133mhz machine which finally took a dump the other day. I was about to load the software on another old 233mhz machiner I have when I could not for the life of me find the software disk(s). I think my wife got me with one of her cleaning spree's. The company is out of business and I have not been able to find the software anywhere.

Can anyone send me the software by any means??? I would certainly be open to making it worth your while.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:04 PM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

I have two versions I use. One is just a folder with RC.exe and some models in it, and the other is on a bootable CD with a batch file that launches RC.exe. I use the bootable CD (or floppy) on my XP machine, and I use my folder on my Pentium 90 laptop. At one point I setup sound card and mouse drivers on the bootable CD/floppy, but that was more of a pain in the butt then it was worth. I just set every model to use the PC speaker now.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:49 PM
Skitchen8

ORIGINAL: twindaddy_1

HELP!!! I have been using RC Aerochopper for 10+ years on my old 133mhz machine which finally took a dump the other day. I was about to load the software on another old 233mhz machiner I have when I could not for the life of me find the software disk(s). I think my wife got me with one of her cleaning spree's. The company is out of business and I have not been able to find the software anywhere.

Can anyone send me the software by any means??? I would certainly be open to making it worth your while.
I have it, I'll respond to your e-mail in a little while. Normally I wouldn't send people software (okay, im actually lying, I have a FTP server set up with like 50 gigs of software on it... but this isn't mine lol) but unless you had it at one time it is completely useless to you, and if you really wanted to get free software you'd probably request something else.
I'll e-mail it to you tonight, I'll e-mail the non-xp disc I have because I haven't even tried the XP disc I was given to see how it works.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:40 PM

It sounds like Skitchen8 has you fixed up. If not, I still have it.

Hey RS2K, we're almost neighbors!
Old 12-10-2003, 08:56 PM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: 777

It sounds like Skitchen8 has you fixed up. If not, I still have it.

Hey RS2K, we're almost neighbors!
Your only about an hour away. Seems that way. where do you fly at? Is there a field in Winfield?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: RS2K
Your only about an hour away. Seems that way. where do you fly at? Is there a field in Winfield?
1 hour to 45 mins, depending where you are in Wichita. I work in south Wichita & it's about 45 mins for me. No there's no organized flying fields in Winfield. I fly at the high school, the local college (South Western) or the local city owned football/soccer complex. Plenty of wide open areas & never another flier. Rarely even spectators! Just me & my son. It's hard to believe that [link=http://www.servocity.com/]Servo City [/link] is in the same town!

Where do you fly in Wichita?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:59 PM
Skitchen8

Can't do it tonight, and if I do it will be real late, promise I'll send it tomorrow though unless someone can do it sooner. Sorry
Old 12-11-2003, 08:35 AM
twindaddy_1

This is a great sport!! You guy's saved my bacon. I'm back up and running and I really appreciate all the responses to my dilemna. Thanks to everyone for the help. Have a great holiday and keep it in the air.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:04 AM
Squawk

The company is out of business, so i guess it's freeware now and no one will have a problem with offering it for download:

http://home.tiscali.nl/~pvheyst/Aerochopper/

Enjoy.[8D]
Old 12-29-2003, 06:55 PM
crazyboutrc

Default can AeroChopper work with XP

Does anyone know if RC AeroChopper can work with Windows XP ?

I saw one post (Skitchen8) that said something about an XP version, maybe somebody created a fix.

I have AeroChopper version 2.0, not working with XP, says it 'can't open Com2'.
Thanks Much
Old 12-29-2003, 07:24 PM
twindaddy_1

Default RE: can AeroChopper work with XP

It is not going to work on XP because com ports are not recognized like they were up until about win95. The USB craze has taken over and I along with most people are very happy about it. Most everything made recently is now truly plug and play.

I have rc aerochopper loaded on an old 233mhz machine running in dos. Best way to do it.

The company is out of business and the graphics and setup are so outdated that I doubt anyone will spend much effort in writing usb drivers for the rc aero controller if it is even possible.

I have also "taken the plunge" into Realflight G2 in the past week and honestly doubt I will ever pickup the aerochopper controller again. Man what a difference. Running it on an XP, 2.6 ghz machine and it absolutely is great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61241.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	86107  
Old 12-30-2003, 09:15 AM
crazyboutrc

thanks twindaddy_1, that makes sense. I was trying to be cheap. I want it working long enough to teach my kids how to fly without damaging too much hardware, AeroChopper would suffice I think. I'd like to get the Realflight G2, but don't see it happening for several months until we recover from Christmas.

I do have my old PC. I know Aerochopper was working when it was running Win95, but not sure if I ever tried it after I went to Win98 on that PC.

I'll also look into a DOS bootable disk to see if that works on our new PC with XP (Skitchen8 mentions this), but I don't want to screw anything up.

Question on Realflight G2. Does anyone know if Realflight G2 Lite is good enough, or is full blown version worth it? Looks like you can upgrade later from Lite to Full, but through away about $20 in the process. Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2003, 01:53 PM
Skitchen8

It is not going to work on XP because com ports are not recognized like they were up until about win95. The USB craze has taken over and I along with most people are very happy about it. Most everything made recently is now truly plug and play.

I have rc aerochopper loaded on an old 233mhz machine running in dos. Best way to do it.

The company is out of business and the graphics and setup are so outdated that I doubt anyone will spend much effort in writing usb drivers for the rc aero controller if it is even possible.

I have also "taken the plunge" into Realflight G2 in the past week and honestly doubt I will ever pickup the aerochopper controller again. Man what a difference. Running it on an XP, 2.6 ghz machine and it absolutely is great.
Actually you can run it on XP, I have a boot disk that allows you to do so. If you'd like me to send you the boot disk I can do so, I got it from a guy named Mr. Hartman who is in a local club.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:09 PM
twindaddy_1

Really. Are you actually running it from XP or are you rebooting the computer and actually running in DOS or.......
Old 12-30-2003, 03:48 PM
Skitchen8

Its not running in XP its booting from the disk, but I figured the question was if you can run it on an XP system, not under XP. I didn't realize people would want to get into technicalities, I figured a simple yes you can run it on XP would be a good enough answer without explaining that technically you are not running it in XP but rather a pre-formed operating system contained on the disk along with the program. :roll:
Old 12-30-2003, 04:07 PM
twindaddy_1

It's my techy background, won't let me look at things that simply. Drives the wife nuts!

Yeah that sounds perfectly logical in that context. Gets around serial / usb situation created by windows. COOL!

Years back I was running dual OS's on some machines at work, bouncing between robot and plc software packages. It was called System Commander and it was a headache and a half to setup. What your proposing is much simpler, just reboot each time you change.

I'd be interested in a copy if you can email or whatever..............

Thanks
Old 12-30-2003, 05:08 PM
Skitchen8

Opposite for me, it drives people nuts the way I normally am about computers so I just assume that people are going to want the simpler answer now.

Easy to get around when you just don't use windows, I actually have 2 machines in my room running only DOS, and then 95, 98, and XP machines and of all of them I'd have to say the DOS machines are the most reliable, I haven't successfully crashed DOS ever

Dual OS's can be all right, as soon as I find a new hard drive one of my dos machines will have 98 and Mandrake dual booting on it. Having to switch between os's would be real annoying though, personally if I was switching that much I'd just build two boxes and have the different OS's on both

If you want to send an e-mail to [email protected] I'll reply at some point tonight with the boot disk attached. Its best to do it on a 3.5 because I think the method for making boot disks for CD's is different.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:47 PM
crazyboutrc

Just wanted to give a quick update on what I've found with a bootable disk. I used my Win98 machine at work to create a bootable disk, and put rc.exe on the same disk.

This actually worked ok except for one thing. I can't get any sound. Not sure about all versions of AeroChopper, but the version I have (2.0) gives you an option of using the PC speaker instead of going through the soundblaster. But in this case not even that is working. (I'm not sure this PC even has any speaker other than going through the pseudo soundblaster. It's a brand new machine with Celeron processor).

So if anyone has any ideas on how to get sound working from a bootable disk, please let me know (like putting something else on the bootable disk to make soundblaster work). But at least the video is working, that's better than what I had.

Regarding the dual OS, I'm giving it thought. Should I partition the hard drive first, and can I do that without having to reinstall the existing OS ? (I'm deciding if it's worth the trouble now).
Old 12-30-2003, 09:12 PM
Skitchen8

You'd have to get DOS sound drivers for your card and put them on the disk too I think. Your computer prolly ain't got a PC speaker on it, a lot of the new computers don't because they are useless now with good sound cards.

I don't know about new software like partition magic and stuff, but I know with old drives you need to format before you partition (technically partitioning is part of the formatting I think) and then install both OS's. Its a good idea to have multiple drives though so you can just format one NTFS and the other whatever linux uses.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:15 AM
crazyboutrc

Thanks Skitchen8! I like the idea of separate drives, drives are so cheap these days. If I learn anything interesting along the way, will let you know.