Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

G2 multiplayer

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 08:00 PM
A_Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G2 multiplayer

I can not connect to a server for the last 2 weeks. I looked in help and found this.: IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE LIST SERVER: At the time of this writing we are providing the list server service on a trial basis. This service may be modified, interrupted or cancelled at any time without notice. Is this what is happening??? Has the server turned to G3??? Anyone else having trouble?
Old 12-16-2004, 10:54 PM
cfossa
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: G2 multiplayer

Server seems to be working fine. I'm hosting a session right now as a test.

Carl
Old 12-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

I have had trouble getting on the server. It seems to come and go.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:52 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

High time to resurrect this thread. I have not been able to connect to the "primary" server for over a month now. The secondary server comes and goes. After a month, I can only conclude that no one is checking the performance of the server at all at Great Planes.

This on the heels of the slap in the face over upgrading to G3.

GREAT PLANES ARE YOU LISTENING?? If this is how you treat good customers (I bought RealFlight, then G2 Lite, then Full G2 Upgrade, and all five Add-Ons), then you can jump in the lake, because I'm not buying any more! And I think that anyone who does is foolish, and I will tell them so!
Old 01-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Salty25

[sm=thumbup.gif]

I agree. I have bought all of this software and enjoy flying online. I have been able to connect to the server but not all the time. Is it that hard to keep a server going... I think not.

Even Bill Gates supports old software after new stuff comes out.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:26 PM
jaafit

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, but after reading this thread I talked to our server guy and this is what he said: The primary server has been having problems and has been down for some time now. In the meantime, the secondary server is handling requests, but some people can't seem to reach it. That confirms the posts in this thread. Some are able to get to it, some are not.

I know it might seem to some as though it's been completely dead for a month and we have done nothing about it, and I can see why you'd be upset. If it were me I know I would be upset if a multiplayer server were down for just a couple days without any evidence that anyone cares. We are going to get this fixed. We're actually very eager to get it back up and running since we know there are people who enjoy this feature. It's a high-priority issue and we're working hard on a solution right now.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:58 AM
RickVB

Look, the server performance has been poor at best since the beginning of this product. The process to connect is clunky (Search, Provider, Search, wait at least 30 seconds [sometimes a couple of minutes], select session, Use Selection, Search for IP, wait 30 seconds, [at this point, 50% of the time the session is not found (gone?), if so START OVER], select connection, join Session, wait another 30 seconds, pray), when you are connected there are bugs (someone leans on the space bar and we all get kicked out, no way to turn down heli sounds, competition events are basically non-functional, etc. etc.), and in general the experience in not what it could be. It's not great, but it's the only resource of it's kind, so people still use it.

Don't try to tell me the problems are on my end, as I have a 3.2Ghz P4 with 1G memory, NVidia GForce4 video, and a cable modem connected through an ultra-high speed ethernet link, so performance on this end is not the problem. And don't tell me two years with no fixes for all the bugs, and a month with dead server is the best you can do. I've been a software developer for over twenty years and I know better.

Oh, and by the way, the servers seem to be completely gone right now.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:49 PM
RickVB

Today, I can't get to the update server, either...
Old 01-11-2005, 03:42 AM
azvmax

Right On

I have been waiting for someone who is technical as well, to chime in.
Im a sys admin for a very large corp.
This answer and stated positon is totaly unacceptable.
No bug fixes, net code is garbage. It looks like win 3.1 ported code at best.
Take a lead from the online games there net code works great. CS, Doom, Unreal Etc.
Using a FTP server as a list server with jacked up protocols, that’s lame.
The updates appear to do nothing that I can see.
Also not having a download web page for updates is just plain silly.
Leaving your clients in the dark only proves you have no respect for you client base.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:34 PM
jaafit

If you're wondering what on earth could be so complicated about a server.... so are we.

My co-worker posted this on another forum. It pertains more for the update/registration process than the multiplayer listing service, but I'm told that they are all suffering because of the same problems:
"Hello all. I apologize for the lack of info here. I've been too busy trying to help our publisher fix these problems to actually come visit the forums, and until this past weekend the fallback to the secondary server was working.... Unfortunately, it's taking much longer than anticipated to help them work through these problems. As of this posting, though, the secondary server fallback is working again... We're doing everything we can at this point. Believe me, if it were as simple as making the secondary server the primary server, it would have happened already... We did have some separate server issues that affected it last week, along with these discussion forums and some other things (why does everything go wrong all at once?), but those are resolved... All I can do at this point is apologize for the all the inconveience and do everything in my power to help fix the problem, which is exactly what I'm doing. Appearances to the contrary, we're not ignoring this issue just because G3 is out."

I can vouch for his credibility. He has been a very busy guy ever since these server issues started popping up and, knowing him, he will not stop working until all the problems are solved. When will that be? I wish I knew. The fact is, no one knows enough about the probem to make an estimate at this point. I will post here again once everything is worked out, or sooner if there are any questions. Hang in there!
Old 04-05-2005, 01:02 PM
RickVB

Well, here we are coming up on three months since my original rant, and guess what, nothing's changed. Only thing that appears to have gotten done is they pulled the plug completely on the primary flight server, so you don't have to wait for it to tell you it's brain dead, saving 30 seconds (see process I outlined above). BUT THE UPDATE SERVER IS STILL COMPLETELY DEAD, WHICH CAUSES THE PROGRAM TO CRASH IF YOU TRY TO ACCESS IT. This also means that if you get a new computer and want to re-install the game, you're stuck with the original version, sans the few patches they've published, which are apparently only available through their server.

What a surprise. Looks like lots of effort going into the G3 launch. Guess Great Planes really doesn't give a hoot. If your out there considering G3, my recommendation is, LOOK ELSEWHERE.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:40 AM
Salty25

Rick,

I've been having that same problem for a lot longer then the 3 months you're refering to.

As much money as I put into buying G2 and four add-ons I am a upset that I can't get the service. I agree with you on looking elsewhere for a sim. I know I am getting ready to order one from another company.

I guess anyone who buys G3 can expect to be having these problems in a few years when they come out with G4. I can understand with not creating updates forever but the ones that are there should be available. Heck, post em on the gp website as a downloadable exe file; or is that too hard to figure out.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:23 AM
azvmax

Here's a link they don't publish.

This will get you to: RELEASE VERSION: RealFlight G2 2.00.723 (7.2MB)

http://www.knifeedge.com/Unpublished...tdownloads.htm

I got this from there silly forums.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:24 PM
RickVB

Thanks for the link - given the text on the page, my advise to anyone who might want it is to grab it now, because it may disappear.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:44 AM
RickVB

I'm going to keep posting as long as GP and Knife Edge keep screwing up, for the benefit of those who might be considering their products in the future. About three days after my last rant, the Primary flight server reappeared, however after almost two weeks of visiting it, I've yet to see any other hosted sessions, and no one has visited my sessions (even though I left it running for several hours on Saturday). I can only conclude that the multiplayer functionality has been completely dead the last couple weeks. Has anyone else been able to fly with someone else lately?
Old 04-20-2005, 03:56 PM
jaafit

As Rick mentioned, we have fixed most of the G2 server issues. Earlier today there were 2 multiplayer sessions, one with 3 people in it. Everything is working pretty well as far as I can tell. If anyone encounters a situation where they can see hosts but can't connect, let us know.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:43 AM
gixxer01

Hey, I just got done with a mulyiplayer flight, and it worked good.

Tim
Old 04-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Salty25

I was able to connect to the secondary server but didn't find anyone hosting.

I tried to do an online update but could not connect to the server.

Guess I'll try again later today.