Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Ebay flight simulators

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Ebay flight simulators

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 05:12 PM
bigmansm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay flight simulators

Hopefully not a repost.
I tried out the Great planes flight simulator in ym local Hobby shop and have reliazed how important it is to use the sim.
My question is:
do i really need the Great planes flight sim? or can i buy one of those $30 simulators on ebay? I think $200 is a little high for a sim. no matter how great it is.
What do you think?

I am goign to learn how to fly a plane No helicopter uses here.
thanks
Old 10-13-2006, 09:17 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ebay flight simulators

The value of a sim is relative. I find that $200 is reasonable considering the cost it takes to make such software and the limited number of people who buy them. If Microsoft were only able to sell MS Flight Simulator to the people who fly RC planes I am sure it'll cost a lot more than $200 in order them to recover their development cost.

I don't know much about the $30 sims on eBay. Can you provide a link? I would suspect that the software would be pretty basic.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:11 PM
skirtz

I am assuming that you are talking for something like that:

The $30 simulators that you reffer to on E-Bay are basically USB joystick in a form of dummy RC Radio Tx. The unit is very usefull to control a simulator and many people are quite happy with it. The software included is the free FMS simulator. $30 is a good price for the USB control unit. The FMS simulator is nice to start but has some limitations in the flight model. If you do not want to pay $200, you can try ClearView RC sim from http://rcflightsim.com , there is a free trial and cost $30 to buy if you like it. It flies as good as any $200 sim, but lack some bells and wistles compating to $200 sims.

Stefan
http://rcflightsim.com
Old 10-14-2006, 01:49 PM
bigmansm

ORIGINAL: skirtz

I am assuming that you are talking for something like that:

The $30 simulators that you reffer to on E-Bay are basically USB joystick in a form of dummy RC Radio Tx. The unit is very usefull to control a simulator and many people are quite happy with it. The software included is the free FMS simulator. $30 is a good price for the USB control unit. The FMS simulator is nice to start but has some limitations in the flight model. If you do not want to pay $200, you can try ClearView RC sim from http://rcflightsim.com , there is a free trial and cost $30 to buy if you like it. It flies as good as any $200 sim, but lack some bells and wistles compating to $200 sims.

Stefan
What are the limitations? and what bells and whistles are missing?
I just need to to practice the basics. i have never flown before and just want something to practice with so i dont crash my plane the first time out
What remote do you use with clearview? seems like i have to buy a remote anyways.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:31 PM
skirtz

Example of "Bells&Wistles" is, in G3 if you hit the ground hard with a plane, the wing breaks. In [link=http://rcflightsim.com]ClearView[/link], the simulation is reset so you can start again. This is the main example where the $30 and $200 sim differs. ClearView graphics quality is on par with the best. The flight model IMHO is the same or better. Ifyou are just starting, there is a lot of to learn from ClearView. Download the demo and try - there is free trial. For more details or what controller you need, look at the complete documentation [link=http://www.clearviewrc.com/cvdocs/ClearViewDocTOC.htm]here[/link]

Stefan
Old 10-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Raylon

Bells and whistles are wings falling off? Better graphics? No. Better physics? No. The price tag is worth it for the "Bell and Whistles". And yes I have tried ClearView.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:40 AM
race_rc

hello everyone, RCU rocks! rc helicopters have caught my interest lately, and starting with a simulator is never a bad idea. i have to agree with bigmansm when it comes to the sims. i downloaded a demo version of G3 yesterday (just for laughs i guess; my pc is running about half the minimum required memory for G3). it did not load of course, but i must say the sim looks spectacular from what i've seen. then it was ebay, looking for a nice realflight G2 setup, but they've all been going for $100 or more (do i really need it?...lol). imo this is not a bad price at all for the software that's included, but scrolling through ebay, one can't help but notice all of these $20-$30 flight sims everywhere (esky clearflight fms.....ect). would these be good for getting my feet wet in the heli pond, or what? or would i be better off with a nice set of traing gear on an inexpensive collective pitch helicopter like a CP or falcon ( the progress rate would be much slower this way). can anyone tell me if these cheap sims are worth the time? all i need are the basics. also, would G2 be worth the extra $100 or so? i realize one can log more flight time with a simulator due to mother nature's windy days (another plus for a sim). opinions? thanks
Old 10-15-2006, 01:27 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

For the beginning pilot, the $30 dummy radio USB link AND FMS is a great value and learning aid. FMS has really improved the physics since I first tried it back in 2000.

FMS is not in the same catagory as the more expensive sims, but it could be the difference between taking your first plane home whole or in a bag.

I would encourage this for any prospective new pilot who can't afford the more expensive sims. It's also a lot of fun for the price!
Old 10-21-2006, 01:55 PM
bigmansm

WELL HERES THE UPDATE:
I ended up purchasing the Great planes software. I got alot for my money so it was truely worth it. I also looked at the used pricing and it was so close to the new pricing that i can sell all my stuff and only loose about $40

I got the G3 with expansion pack 1. I have already spent about 2-3 hours learning to fly, and watching some of the instructional videos.
My question is: Where should i start exactly?
which plane is the best to learn how to fly on?
What are some techniques that i should be practicing? other than avoid crashing.
The electric plane i am going to buy is the slow stick. It is no where near as fast as some of these other planes so learning the sim should put me in great shape to fly the slow stick.
any advice would be appreciated
Old 10-26-2006, 02:04 AM
Rob40

Start with a high wing, tricycle gear plane with dihedral in the wing. It wont take you long to learn to fly and it is very forgiving. Take offs are easy, advancing the throttle and keep it pointed down the runway. Practice your turns at a med speed and forget the rudder for now. You have to make sure the plane is trimmed right. There should be a tutorial in the menu. Taking off is pretty easy, flying circles are not tough and landing takes practice. Whatever you do.....remember what happened if you crash and apply it next time. I hope this helps. Feel free to send me a message if you have any hangups with it. I love to see success and new pilots gain confidence.

btw, good choice on getting G3.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:56 PM
bigmansm

Well i have been using the flight sim as much as possible. Its so tempting to go out and buy a plane now and try to fly it. I think that i am already doing well and can fly the few electric models that i was thinking of buying.

I am flying the blt trainer in the G3 software, its as close to one of the park fliers which i was thinking of flying. Landing is very easy with this plane. I actually get bored flying this one cause its slow and doesn manuever as well as some fo the other planes.

If there anyways i can put some fo my flight videos onto the net for all to see? that would be really cool
Old 10-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Rob40

There should be a flight club somewhere near you. I would recommend learning to fly at an AMA flying field. Many people buy a plane and crash and get discouraged and quit. The flight sim is pretty realistic but there are still differences.

In the toolbar there is a record function. You can save your flights to your comp and upload them in the video section of RC Universe.

Good job!!