Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

phoenix for christmas...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

phoenix for christmas...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 05:45 PM
zuiko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: phoenix for christmas...

lets download 1.02 then
Old 12-13-2006, 05:48 PM
twrecked

Lets stop bickering about pretty graphics for a minute, you cannot deny that this SIM is the most realistic to fly - yes it has one or two slight quirks but I am alway hearing on other forums that the guys behind it are constantly improving things. plus bringing out new models.

I use a SIM to learn new stuff and to keep my hand in, and Phoenix, for me, is the best out there at the moment, the only thing I miss is a slope which I did have with XTR

PS, isn't ClearView a pregnancy tester?
Old 12-13-2006, 05:55 PM
zuiko

twrecked well
a photo image as background do 90% of the job.

realism become fully improved just with that, in any sim.

i talk about minore details that make the difference between reality and fiction.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:56 PM
moyesboy

The arguments about how realistic the images are are not that relevant to how good the sim is to learn to fly.
The trex model is realistically difficult to keep still in the hover. I had to tune down the power a bit and make a more stable version so it flew like my x400 on a 3 cell pack. This was all pretty easy to do.
The dynamics are good. It is very much like flying he real thing.
The flying site Ade posted is not in the current version, they promise some more in the next release shortly. The scenes they have are seemless 360 degree hemispheres, you cannot see the joins, and the models crash into the obsticles.

The trex will sink right into the long grass!

I am very happy with Phoenix, glad I saved the money over reflex XTR, about a 30% saving.
dunno how much the other products are that have been talked about in this thread but it seems to be widely agreed that the top sim for helis is either reflex xtr or Phoenix.

There is absolutely no comparison with FMS by the way.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:18 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any more doctored pictures or discussion of each other is going to lock this thread again.

The rules of RCU are that you discuss RC topics, not other posters. That thread was locked in order to edit out the off topic spitting. Turned out there was little else.

Discuss RC topics, not other posters.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:27 AM
Spacey

ORIGINAL: jim tompson

have just enough $$ for a sim this year [as well as the kids pressies!]
and am very tempted by phoenix - have done my research and am
just about to order.
any comments on my choice?
g3.5 seems to gimicky, fsone doesnt do helis well, afpd is for planes,
reflex support is not up to scratch - do they listen to anyone?
and this new kid seems to have it licked
am flyin a rex450 and want to practice 3d
so unless theres something ive missed this will be in my stocking on xmas day
any comments welcome and merry christmas ho ho ho!
Hi Jim,

You are definitely on the right track when choosing a sim. Pitty this thread has gone the route it has, you have admire what Ade is doing to though still to ensure people can't blurr the fact that Phoenix is quickly becoming known as the best RC Simulator on the market today. I have always been a die hard AFPD fan and got my copy with the first shipment that landed in the US way back when. Since then I've spent alot of time of Realflight G3 at the hobby shop and I can tell you Phoenix is much better than both of the above named sims. You just can't beat the price and you definitely can't beat the good work the guys from Phoenix are doing to make it even better than it already is. I've had my Phoenix for about a month now and it's just like my little T-rex one of the best investments I've made in RC to date.

Cheers
Spacey
Old 12-14-2006, 03:54 AM
jim tompson

starting this thread has only supported my view that this sim is
the right choice
cant believe the lengths other manufacturers will go to
when they realise how dated their products are
thanks to all, have placed my order
Old 12-14-2006, 04:07 AM
Gaza07

Excellent choice jim you wont regret it, I know i didnt
Old 12-14-2006, 04:09 AM
Spacey

ORIGINAL: jim tompson

starting this thread has only supported my view that this sim is
the right choice
cant believe the lengths other manufacturers will go to
when they realise how dated their products are
thanks to all, have placed my order
Keep us posted Jim! Would certainly like to hear what you think after you spent a couple of hours or so on it! I'm betting you're going to be all smiles.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:38 PM
CanCanCase

Okay, I'll bite... my copy is on order too (Really just adding it to the collection... I fly all of them, and they all have many good points and a few bad points.) I still say that for the money I've got in all 6 major sims and my iMac to fly them, it's worth what they have all taught me to keep my Yak out of a self-induced hole in the ground... Not to brag or anything, but my Yak is worth more without radio gear than all of these sims and the computer put together... They're a great training tool (the sims, not $5K Yaks!)

Anyone know WHY I went ahead and bought Phoenix too? It's a nice variety of airplanes... (oh, and the float flying is a first... unless you count Alaskan float flying where all the water is frozen this time of year!) Phoenix has my favorite plane of all time... a Beaver. I noticed it's missing an Otter and a Turbine Otter, but we'll build them if we have to!

I assume re-painting planes in Phoenix is intended to be just as easy as G3, AFPD, etc...?

-Case
Old 12-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Tetley

Hi Jim, Glad you made the right choice! your gonna love phoenix
that's for sure, its a great training tool and probably the best
investment you will ever make in RC related equipment.

Jim Lacey.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:06 PM
max-nix
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Tetley

Jim Lacey.
Amen brother!
Old 12-18-2006, 05:08 PM
srl

Just got my Phoenix. Only took a week from placing the order on the net. Its great value as I think its as good as the rest. Not as many models, but maybe that will improve.
I have a bad connection to my JR 9x but Ill work it out.
Going "real" flying today, must remember not to crash.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Ade_Law

1.03 is available now. full feature list and download available from the website.

www.phoenix-sim.com

Ade
Old 12-28-2006, 05:51 PM
CanCanCase

Hi Jim!

Name's the same, but I have to ask... is that you flying in some of the Phoenix demos/recordings? That's some nice flying with the Pitts. Any plans to release a Python for Phoenix? (I'm a bipe lover, and now I have something good to fly besides the Ultimates in G3.5...)

I wanted to ask for your input regarding a question I discussed with Ade a week or so ago. Don't you think ground handling and plane breakapart on crash are a fairly important part of flying lessons on a sim? I mean, if you're learning to hover or torque low to the ground, and the plane just resets itself every time you tap the tail on the grass...that doesn't seem very realistic to me. If the plane doesn't reset when I tap, how am I to learn how HARD I can or cannot drag tail? (If I do it over water, it seems ANY contact with the water will suck the plane into the inky depths...) Also, It seems to me that the "student" is being done a dis-service by not getting the visual input of a plane breaking up when they screw things up too badly.

Input from someone who obviously knows how to fly this stuff pretty well?

Thanks.
-Case

ORIGINAL: Tetley

Jim Lacey.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Tetley

Hi Case,

Yep its me in the phoenix vids , Thanks.

Your points are all valued, We are looking into this as we speak,
Phoenix has always put restart time high on the list, so after you crash your back in the air asap,
a crash, break apart sequence would take time and become annoying after a while as in other sims.

The possibility of a menu switch for realistic crashes is something we are discussing.
Then you could choose to have them, or not if you wanted a fast restart.

Ref the Python, Just need some hi res pics and anything is possible!....

Glad your enjoying Phoenix and have a great 2007!

Jim Lacey.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:24 AM
CanCanCase

Jim-

I've timed it, and a major crash does take a few seconds to play out and watch the breakup. BUT, the break apart planes all come with an "instant reset" feature that I can use before, during or after a crash and be ready for takeoff immediately. If I'm practicing hovering low, as soon as the stab breaks off, I can actually hit the reset and be flying quicker in G3.5 than waiting for Phoenix to reset...

From a learner's AND teacher's point of view, I think the relationship with the ground is JUST as important as the relationship with the air.

-Case
Old 12-29-2006, 04:52 AM
Ade_Law

phoenix has a reset too... hit the B on the keyboard. There are some really useful short cut keys, all listed in the manual. cntr+A goes to model select and cntrl+s is scenery select, those 2 are probably the 2 i use the most.

only way to do a reset from the tx would be to have it assignable to a channel.

i have been playing a bit. it seems phoenix resets after the model has stopped moving.

I am starting to compile a wish list to give phoenix for 1.04 i have added a reset channel and the option of quick/pretty crashing to the list.

Ade
Old 12-29-2006, 07:38 AM
dave_fischen

No simulator "accurately" simulates crashes and break-aparts - the behaviour is just too undefined and random to actually learn how your model will respond to a hard impact - and every time you crash your model it will be different depending on far too many factors. This unfortunately relegates crashing to pretty game eye-candy which is of very little use to a serious flier.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:13 AM
paulsen
My Feedback: (2)

This thread has fully supported my desicion to buy the Phoenix!
Old 01-26-2007, 04:30 AM
Geegar

Phoenix gets my vote as well. Has improved my flying no end.

Don't knock till ya tried it. Lots of poeple want to make it fail, but I don't think it will
Old 01-29-2007, 04:41 AM
richieclarkie

I'm a complete newbie and last Saturday I took a flight with Ade on the Knight 50. I'd had about 4 hours flying time on Phoenix and a few disastrous flights with a twister CP

Well within 1 tank of fuel I was tail in hovering and performed a reasonable landing - without help! I cannot speak for Clearview, Reflex or any others, but I can say that the hovering skills I learned in the Phoenix were directly transferable to the real thing.

If what you are after is a simulator that genuinely shows you how a model will fly then Phoenix would be a very good choice. I'm proof of that. The guys at the club also assure me that it has helped them enormously with their flying with predictable transference from practicing a 3D manoeuvre on the sim to doing it for real.

Also their support team always replies to email queries. I have already asked them a couple of questions and they have always replied within 24 hours.

These are my experiences, not my opinions.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:17 AM
Brecht

To everybody who has doubts about this sim................. Don't. I've used several sims and this one is in my opinion the best. Why do people think they have to spent over 200 bucks for a quality sim?
Isn't it possible you get a great quality sim for just 132€??? I mean it, this is the best investement of my hobby since I started.
Two thumbs up for the people of Phoenix, keep up the good work.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Wyu
My Feedback: (3)

I just ordered a laptop and am thinking if getting "Phoenix" [>:]
So far I've just had "FMS" as my sim,
and the other sim's did not strike me like Phoenix it looks awesome!

Anyway I would love to see some screen shot's of it PLEASE
In multiplayer I now it go's to 4 player split screen but dose it do 2 & 3 player split screen ?

Awesome is Phoenix yes[8D]

Thanks All
Old 02-07-2007, 02:02 AM
Ade_Law

there are loads of screen shots on the phoenix website www.phoenix-sim.com also take a look at www.trextuning.com for the phoenix review.

split screen works on 2 and 3 player too. it just splits the screen top/bottom or left/right (switchable on 2 player) online/lan multiplayer will be in beta test in around fairly soon.

Ade

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.