Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Fox Manufacturing- Castor oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:48 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fox Manufacturing- Castor oil

I prdered a gallon of castor oil from Fox Manufacturing last week. The cost was $20.00 plus $.400 for shipping. Here is a copy of an Email I got from them this afternoon.

JOEL, THIS IS TO LET YOU KNOW THE THE PRICE OF SHIPPING FOR A GALLON OF CASTOR OIL IS NOT
$4.00, BUT IT WILL BE $11.75.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS OKAY.

THANKS
FOX MFG
SHARON

What is your opinion of this. I feel this is an unexceptable business practice. Anybody say bait and switch? I did tell them to just go ahead and ship it since I am waiting on it to begin mixing fuel. but from now on I will be getting my castor oil from a different suplier.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:35 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: Fox Manufacturing- Castor oil

The folks at Fox are good people. They didn't do that on purpose, I assure you. Chances are they entered the wrong zipcode by accident. I get my oil from sig which costs a little more - $22.99/gal plus shipping which is $10. I think that's the minimum ups charge for the weight. Sig is in Iowa, Fox is in Arkansas; so I can see the shipping charge being reasonable.

We are all human and make mistakes. If they were trying to "take" you, they wouldn't have emailed you about the error.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:02 PM
yakfish

I honestly don't have a problem with the price. Thats not the problem. But it is a problem when a company gives you a price and then doesn't honor that price. If they had said the price was $11.75 in the first place I still would have bought the oil. If I was runing the business and made that mistake I would feel obligated to "eat" the additional cost and honor the price I had given my customer. That's just good business. In business it is not the customers fault the business made a mistake.

I almost bought the oil from Sig untill I saw the price from Fox. Next time I will buy it from Sig.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:52 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: yakfish

I honestly don't have a problem with the price. Thats not the problem. But it is a problem when a company gives you a price and then doesn't honor that price. If they had said the price was $11.75 in the first place I still would have bought the oil. If I was runing the business and made that mistake I would feel obligated to ''eat'' the additional cost and honor the price I had given my customer. That's just good business. In business it is not the customers fault the business made a mistake.

I almost bought the oil from Sig untill I saw the price from Fox. Next time I will buy it from Sig.
Well, I cant say exactly what happened.. I can say that there is a strong following to FOX engines, and have long standing relationships with Sharon and the crew at Fox. I stand by my original post that it wasnt intentional. Perhaps you should call Sharon and talk to her to clarify it.

I'm certainly not going to tell you to keep buying from them or not.. Thats your call. I just know that getting bitter over a $7.75 mistake that they emailed you about and posting about it here probably isnt the best thing to have done. Call them and take it up with them.

Keep in mind, a gallon of castor oil weighs like 9-10 pounds. If I was quoted a shipping charge less than 10$ from Arkansas to Ohio, I would ask "that doesnt sound right.."...

I ain't trying to beat you up. Go about however you want, but they are charging you what you should be charged. Period.

A word of advice mixing fuel with Castor... It will pour and mix better if its warmed up a little bit first. Its a thick oil when cold (below 65°F)
Old 11-01-2011, 06:04 PM
plaurence
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my 2 cents.

I agree with you. In my professionI if I misquote a fee I honor it.

Was it worth to Fox to loose a customer over seven dollars?

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

I honestly don't have a problem with the price. Thats not the problem. But it is a problem when a company gives you a price and then doesn't honor that price. If they had said the price was $11.75 in the first place I still would have bought the oil. If I was runing the business and made that mistake I would feel obligated to ''eat'' the additional cost and honor the price I had given my customer. That's just good business. In business it is not the customers fault the business made a mistake.

Well, I cant say exactly what happened.. I can say that there is a strong following to FOX engines, and have long standing relationships with Sharon and the crew at Fox. I stand by my original post that it wasnt intentional. Perhaps you should call Sharon and talk to her to clarify it.

I'm certainly not going to tell you to keep buying from them or not.. Thats your call. I just know that getting bitter over a $7.75 mistake that they emailed you about and posting about it here probably isnt the best thing to have done. Call them and take it up with them.

Keep in mind, a gallon of castor oil weighs like 9-10 pounds. If I was quoted a shipping charge less than 10$ from Arkansas to Ohio, I would ask "that doesnt sound right.."...

I ain't trying to beat you up. Go about however you want, but they are charging you what you should be charged. Period.

A word of advice mixing fuel with Castor... It will pour and mix better if its warmed up a little bit first. Its a thick oil when cold (below 65°F)
Old 11-01-2011, 06:49 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: plaurence

Here's my 2 cents.

I agree with you. In my professionI if I misquote a fee I honor it.

Was it worth to Fox to loose a customer over seven dollars?

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Keep in mind, a gallon of castor oil weighs like 9-10 pounds. If I was quoted a shipping charge less than 10$ from Arkansas to Ohio, I would ask ''that doesnt sound right..''...

Thats exactly my point. I could care less about the $7 it is the principle involved.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ordered from Fox over the phone and they shiped it that day while my check is in the mail.   They have made mistakes before though.  I often buy small items if the shipping doesn't increase, so one time I ordered a prop and while it was the correct size and pitch, it was also a pusher prop.  I thought to send it back, but decided I may need it someday.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:13 PM
KeroPower

I have gone through almost two gallons of Fox castor oil so far as I mix my own 0% nitro fuel. When I ordered it, I ordered it along with a new engine and other items so shipping was free. $11.75 is not bad. I will be ordering more oil soon. I am thinking about trying Klotz Benol instead of straight from the bean castor oil. The Fox oil is really starting to carbon up my Fox .40 RC. The top of the piston is growing a layer of black crust, and the head has a lot of varnish on it. Even the new glowplug I installed not too long ago has varnish on the tip. However, I want stick with castor oil for my .40 since the directions say to use a fuel containing all castor.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:31 PM
cutaway

ORIGINAL: KeroPower
I am thinking about trying Klotz Benol instead of straight from the bean castor oil. The Fox oil is really starting to carbon up my Fox .40 RC.
Mix a gallon as you normally would, then add a few ounces of synth Klots Techniplate. I've found adding a few ounces of synth to a predominently castor mix tends to keep the carbon and varnishing down.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:15 PM
KeroPower

Okay, thanks. I added some KL-200 I had leftover. It is interesting how the exhaust smell changes after adding less than 5% Klotz oil.