Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Windshield washerpump ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 01:54 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Windshield washerpump ?

The pump you want is sold by Hobby Lobby. It is manufactured in Germany by Kavan. Our company purchased these by the hundreds and were used in our aerial targets for the smoke system.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Rocketman_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried the Sig Gas Passer? It runs on 12 volts, pumps both ways and is compatible with gasoline,glow fuel, kerosene, smoke oil, and water. I have one and it has given no trouble.

It can be seen at the bottom of this web page http://www.centralhobbies.com/fuel/flpmp.htm
Old 08-03-2012, 04:02 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_

Has anyone tried the Sig Gas Passer? It runs on 12 volts, pumps both ways and is compatible with gasoline,glow fuel, kerosene, smoke oil, and water. I have one and it has given no trouble.

It can be seen at the bottom of this web page http://www.centralhobbies.com/fuel/flpmp.htm
Ahhh, the one above it is the exact same thing for $33 while the SIG pump is $45.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:06 PM
SrTelemaster150

I never saw the attraction of manual pumps.

I purchased my Hobbico top Fueler 16 years ago & it has never let me down.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use this one. http://sonictronics.com/xcart/produc...cat=301&page=1. Two years ago I replaced my original after over 20 years of use.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:27 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I had gotten a Hobbico deluxe flight box that came with a MK II electric pump. The whole setup was like new and barely used. The MK II lasted about 5-7 gallons before the motor got weak. The pump itself still works but the motor is junk. Bought a MK III and got 4-5 gallons through it and still working great, with zero leaks. I also use mainly castor in my fuel so the fuel is pretty thick. If it ever craps out, I'd be open to trying a WW pump myself.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:01 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

I had gotten a Hobbico deluxe flight box that came with a MK II electric pump. The whole setup was like new and barely used. The MK II lasted about 5-7 gallons before the motor got weak. The pump itself still works but the motor is junk. Bought a MK III and got 4-5 gallons through it and still working great, with zero leaks. I also use mainly castor in my fuel so the fuel is pretty thick. If it ever craps out, I'd be open to trying a WW pump myself.

Well, I have about 60 gallons through my MK II pump W/no issues.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:21 PM
psb667

Will this work?
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znet...g/12S/image/4/
Old 08-03-2012, 06:29 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Hey, Michaelj2k, I have that very same Sonic-tronics MarkX Fuel pump.. I got it when I first go into flying back in the early '80s, still using it.. It takes a little more time to prime than it used to, but it still works.. I believe that I have gotten my moneys worth out of it, and it's still going strong.. Hmmm, I wonder if its the Energizer Bunny of fuel pumps??

Craig.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:29 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

My MK II pump still works and doesn't leak, it's the electric motor that crapped out. It will run for a few seconds and slow way down and stop. Battery is in good condition and fully charged, doesn't matter. The MK III works on the same system perfectly. I tried finding a 12v motor small enough but could t find one locally, and for the price, a new pump was cheaper anyway. I have no idea how old my II is. Probably just a fluke.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 PM
SrTelemaster150

My MK II pump still works and doesn't leak, it's the electric motor that crapped out. It will run for a few seconds and slow way down and stop. Battery is in good condition and fully charged, doesn't matter. The MK III works on the same system perfectly. I tried finding a 12v motor small enough but could t find one locally, and for the price, a new pump was cheaper anyway. I have no idea how old my II is. Probably just a fluke.
Sounds like it's sucking something shut. Does it act the same when draining the tank? Maybe it's plugged up internally?

Try switching the hoses/direction switch & see what that does.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:23 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Sounds like it's sucking something shut. Does it act the same when draining the tank? Maybe it's plugged up internally?

Try switching the hoses/direction switch & see what that does.
Been there and done that. If I put the shaft of the pump in a drill, It will pump fuel to the moon just about. Hook the electric pump motor back up and it might squirt a a little fuel, but stops quickly. . Pull the electric motor from new pump and install in old pump, works perfect. Old motor in new pump, no worky.

Trust me, the motor is just tired. I'm saving the old pump in case something else I take apart has a motor small enough to fit the case. Both pump mechanisms feel the same, the new one slightly stiffer to turn than the old one.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:48 AM
djstar39
My Feedback: (4)

I use the Boxxer pump and has always worked great but is now taking about twice as long to fill my planes. Went to find the rebuild kit but apparently they're not available. Might have to try the MKIII.

Dave
Old 08-04-2012, 12:30 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

I HAVE USE WINDSHIELD WASHER PUMPS FOR YEARS ALL VERY GOOD
Old 08-04-2012, 12:57 PM
SrTelemaster150

Been there and done that. If I put the shaft of the pump in a drill, It will pump fuel to the moon just about. Hook the electric pump motor back up and it might squirt a a little fuel, but stops quickly. . Pull the electric motor from new pump and install in old pump, works perfect. Old motor in new pump, no worky.

Trust me, the motor is just tired. I'm saving the old pump in case something else I take apart has a motor small enough to fit the case. Both pump mechanisms feel the same, the new one slightly stiffer to turn than the old one.

Aha, so it sounds like the MK II & the MK III are indeed (basically) the same pump dressed up for different centuries.

I might just get a MK II to have on hand in case my 16 year old MK II finally bites the dust.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

ORIGINAL: djstar39

I use the Boxxer pump and has always worked great but is now taking about twice as long to fill my planes. Went to find the rebuild kit but apparently they're not available. Might have to try the MKIII.

Dave
Have you tried contacting Slimline directly? You should be able to purchae a rebuild kit directly from them. My Slimline SL-2000 pump is the best pump I have ever owned. Since it's a peristaltic pump so it's self-priming and your fuel never leaves the fuel tubing as it does with a geared pump. My pump must be about 10 years old and I only used a rebuild kit once. It was a done as a precautionary measure about three years ago, not because the tubing in the pump had failed.

http://www.slimlineproducts.com/
Old 08-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Bobhend

Slimline appears to be in limbo. My LHS cannot order from them, and said they were changing to direct internet sales only. the Slimline website is structured as an online retailer except that it is "under construction". I sure hope they can make this work because Slimline pumps and fuel systems are top quality.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:13 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Aha, so it sounds like the MK II & the MK III are indeed (basically) the same pump dressed up for different centuries.

I might just get a MK II to have on hand in case my 16 year old MK II finally bites the dust.
They are essentially the same thing internally. The two are set up slightly different inside, but the pump mechanism itself is the same. Looks identical. The MK III looks to have a slightly larger motor in it, IIRC. Its been awhile since I had it apart though.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:56 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried a snowmobile primer bulb and it worked but was kind of slow, tried a couple of swap meet electric pumps that were in a box with other things and they didn't work at all. I am not willing to buy a new one if that is what to expect.  Now I just use a big rubber bulb like 40 years ago.  I will keep my eyes on this thread though because the rubber is starting to crack and I always wanted to try a WW pump myself. A big syringe works good for bladders.  I have heard the big detergent jugs with pumps work ok too.  Never tried one because I don't hink they would seal good enough to keep the fuel fresh.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

ORIGINAL: Bobhend

Slimline appears to be in limbo. My LHS cannot order from them, and said they were changing to direct internet sales only. the Slimline website is structured as an online retailer except that it is "under construction". I sure hope they can make this work because Slimline pumps and fuel systems are top quality.
Sometimes you need to work the phone. Give Slimline a call.

Update, I just checked the website for one vendor who I know carries the Slimline SL-2000 pump. His website says they have 10 maintenance kits in stock. I have no problem recommending this vendor. I have been ordering from them for 15 years. Ron's customer service is top notch.

http://www.ronlund.com/rcheli-prod/SLI2001.html

Old 08-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Here's the direct link to the maintenance kit:

http://www.ronlund.com/mm5/merchant....ory_Code=NITFP

or for the Boxxer:

http://www.ronlund.com/rcheli-prod/NITFP/SLI2006.html

which is sold out.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:00 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Ace Dude

Update, I just checked the website for one vendor who I know carries the Slimline SL-2000 pump. His website says they have 10 maintenance kits in stock. I have no problem recommending this vendor. I have been ordering from them for 15 years. Ron's customer service is top notch.

Not in my experience as far as trying to get hooked up via phone. I had an order for an excel fuel valve in limbo & played phone tag for about 3 days. No matter when I called, I always got voice mail & even if I called minutes after missing their return call I still got voice mail. I finally cancelled the order via e-mail. I got a snyde e-mail reply about them "not being WalMart.

If I can't get someone to talk to on the phone W/reasonable effort, I won't do business W/them.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:02 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: aspeed

I tried a snowmobile primer bulb and it worked but was kind of slow, tried a couple of swap meet electric pumps that were in a box with other things and they didn't work at all. I am not willing to buy a new one if that is what to expect. Now I just use a big rubber bulb like 40 years ago. I will keep my eyes on this thread though because the rubber is starting to crack and I always wanted to try a WW pump myself. A big syringe works good for bladders. I have heard the big detergent jugs with pumps work ok too. Never tried one because I don't hink they would seal good enough to keep the fuel fresh.

Just spend $12.99 & get the Hobbico Top Fueler MK III (electric) pump.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

ORIGINAL: Ace Dude

Not in my experience as far as trying to get hooked up via phone. I had an order for an excel fuel valve in limbo & played phone tag for about 3 days. No matter when I called, I always got voice mail & even if I called minutes after missing their return call I still got voice mail. I finally cancelled the order via e-mail. I got a snyde e-mail reply about them "not being WalMart.

If I can't get someone to talk to on the phone W/reasonable effort, I won't do business W/them.
I've never had a problem getting whatever I need from Slimline. After using their SL-2000 for about ten years w/o issue I'll never use a non-peristaltic pump again. All geared fuel pumps leak eventually, I had several priror to the SL-2000. A peristaltic pump is a superior design.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Bobhend

I have heard that the kit for the 2000 will work on the Boxxer, just uses shorter length of the tubing. That tubing is thin-wall silicone rubber and not readily available. Thanks for finding those kits, I know a guy that needs one. Ron's has good inventory, nice. As for Slimline, let us know the story when you get them on the phone. I suspect they are re-grouping to launch the online store.

Not much here on the Sullivan pumps. I have 3 and only one is not leaking. Even that one leaked once, then it stopped leaking. I don't reccomend these !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.