Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

A new TWIN engine for the baja5b

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

A new TWIN engine for the baja5b

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:32 PM
splcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new TWIN engine for the baja5b

what do you guys think of this beast , double your fun or double the trouble LOL http://www.tgndistributing.com/mtctwin.html . id buy this if i had the money to waste
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	qo40247.jpg
Views:	1528
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1544490  
Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 PM
speedypetey61

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: A new TWIN engine for the baja5b

Dude I think Mark & Company is smoking some serious dope.
Nice, but not worth $2300, they might as well get to slap who ever buys this.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[X(]
i dont know whats more shocking, how awsome that looks, or how expensive it is!
Old 01-08-2011, 11:18 PM
splcrazy

well it is a first twin cylinder watercooled engine , what they dont show is that it also comes with radiators lol , it must look really impressive to see how it all looks when installed into a 5b. this is only 50.8cc , would have been incredible if it was a twin 30.5cc bringing that upto 61 cc lol , but then again you can buy the single 62cc skopod engine i think its called which is about $1300 or more , but i dont know i think that this twin setup would produce more power than a single 62cc engine because then your got a twin exhaust pipe options lol and just imagine how incredible that would sound .
Old 01-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

This thing will have some serious tuning issues since its a double carb. Need to get the settings just right so they both produce the same amount of power or else one piston will be putting more pressure on the crank than the other. Not to mention the length of that crank... I wonder how durable it is at that length. I'm sure it doesnt rev as high as other single piston motors which makes the use of this engine in a Baja questionable. This seems more fitting in an MT or a 4wd model imo. Also I wonder how much vibration this motor creates.

Edit: I just read the description its 2 regular cranks. I don't like the sound of that... This just sounds like a completely high risk experience at 2300 bucks. You would think they would post a video to get people drooling.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:31 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool looking but way too expensive even for a twin. Good RC boats twins aren't that expensive. Plus for car use air cooled would be more practical.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:01 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

bartolone racing have one and obr also have one to be released or have been released on the market?how are these twin engines and the 62cc compared to something like the trevor simpson engine?is it really worth the $$?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:26 PM
TIGER76

Beast of an engine!!! [X(] expensive thou []
Bet those 2 pipes sound nice and loud in harmony
Old 01-10-2011, 04:05 PM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: badboy2

bartolone racing have one and obr also have one to be released or have been released on the market?how are these twin engines and the 62cc compared to something like the trevor simpson engine?is it really worth the $$?
i have the trevor simpson induction crankcase to 30.5cc stuffed crank and it goes very well, the 62cc ive seen running on youtube look very powerfull and fast but the 62 cc is nothing and weak compared to the twin engine plate the darksoul racing made , i saw a youtube vid of him running that twin in the sand and it was flying through the sand as if it wasnt even there that was super fast better than a single 62 cc. I bet that this twin would be even better than darksouls twin cos you have both the power of two cylinders going straight into a single joined crank
Old 01-11-2011, 05:06 AM
Nitro Fumes

I would like to see how it looks installed. I see it costs more than a whole Baja too. I don't think it will be a big seller.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:17 AM
mooman007uk

I'm surprised no one has posted the OBR vid with rcmk twin and 2x 27.2 full mod heads...running on methanol for cooling in the vid but they've got it sorted now and will be available very soon...$1500ish for the obr 5b/t kit. kit includes

2x Jetpro pipes
2 walbro carbs
2 filters and v-stacks:
Engine + 2 cylinders
New rear plate:
Layshaft

the 62cc can't even begin to touch the performance of this motor. and the TS isn't even in the same ball park. the revs it makes are insane, about 10hp and 4ftlb of torque I so want one to stuff into my hill climber[8D]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taO5g_FgMPg[/youtube]
Old 01-11-2011, 05:36 PM
splcrazy

i still prefer to buy the one over at tgn site , methanol isnt easy to get where i am
Old 01-11-2011, 06:06 PM
mooman007uk

they've got the cooling sorted on pump gas nowjust waiting for the jetpro pipes to come and thenthe kit will be available on their website.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:42 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

they should make a shootout vid of the twins and maybe a single engine like the ts engine.i wonder whats the top speed of the twin on road..with 2 speed![X(]
Old 01-12-2011, 12:11 AM
savagecommander

http://www.bonzisports.com/zenoah/zenoah_inline.html
Old 01-12-2011, 03:28 AM
splcrazy

everyone complaining about the price of this twin should think again , your getting a good value when you think about it all, look at the tgn site again and view all the pics of all the parts thats included to get it going , last time i wanted to buy darksouls twin engine plate so i could do my own twin setup he wanted to charge me over $500 just for the engine plate and then i still had to make my own other parts to make it work, the only fear i have of this twin is that the ass end will be too HEAVY and the rear 2 shocks wont be enough to stop the rear end sagging like hell , youd need a rear 4 shock setup for sure . id be honest and ill tell you guys that the ts engines i have in my 5b's are ALOT heavier than the standard engines and my 2 rear shocks are sagging all the time and i cant keep making the rear shocks stiffer cos then i bend the shafts
Old 01-12-2011, 03:35 AM
Mudgy

this stuff belongs in a boat or custom chassis.

period.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:45 AM
Plague

Let's just say that it moves pretty good... hehe

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmmjsNELiB8[/youtube]
Old 01-12-2011, 07:25 AM
mooman007uk

ORIGINAL: Mudgy

this stuff belongs in a boat or custom chassis.

period.
+1 to that....I want one for another tube chassis build.
I must be dense because i can't to see the point of stuffing an engine in to something that will then make it undrivable...even with full mod motors all 5b's want to do is donut and spin out unless they're run in their natural enviroment....sand dunes. I guess if you're into straight line back and forth stuff in the park etc like in the above video then going faster is something to strive for I suppose

Old 01-12-2011, 08:20 AM
Saxtoft

Hi all,
My name is Michael and I am the creator of the motor from BodySax and MTC that you are linking to above. The project started as a project to show everyone that it could be done but now it has opened a new market for MTC, who originally made this engine for boats. MTC has more than 20 years of experience in building motors and this motor is very well tested. Especially the joining of the cranks has been tested exhaustively and hence they give 1 year of warranty on this motor and 5 years on the joining. In the boat community this engine is known as the best twin you can get and this is also the reason for me choosing to initiate a development with MTC. So far they have lived up to this reputation and I will continue working wuth them. Recently RCMK has come out with a twin with a one piece crank. We were actually one of the first one to get a few samples of the very first batch of the version with the revised crank. We have great interest in this non billet motor as it is cheaper than a billet motor and have carried out a lot of tests and development already - for cars naturally. More will follow on this.

A little on our twin and in general.
The two cars are easy to tune. Naturally there are two and they will have to run syncronised. This is not a problem. There are probably many ways to do this as well as many opinions.
This engine can rev just as high as a single cylinder engine. But naturally it has more than double the power. Several factors makes it much better. The ignition points are shifted 180 degrees which makes the engine run much smoother. The case is cooled which drops the temperature of the gas mix, which leads to a higher density of the mix. This is a bit like intercooling and in the boat community it has been claimed to provide as much as 10% more power. I do not know if it is correct, but the logic makes sense. Naturally the water cooling of the cylinders also makes it run better. Water cooling is more even and better for the motor and cooling is very important for the performance of the motor.
We have managed to shoe horn this engine into a baja as the first ones in the world. Hence and additionally to the motor the driver only have to buy our install kit, which consists of a new tranny plate a new rear chassid plate and a new layshaft. All the driver has to do is build it in, place the radiators and mount exhausts. We have just received the first set from Victory ProPipe and these will also be available soon.
I will open a seperate thread where people can ask questions.
To make everything clear. I am a private person that has developed this and other stuff. As such I have no commercial interest in this other that of cause more sale to MTC will lead to faster development as MTC is manufacturing the prototypes. If they are not selling enough of my developments they will be hesitant to start new development. All in all I am just doing it for fun.