Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Flaky Kill Switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 08:25 AM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Flaky Kill Switch

I have had recent issues with my MT...when I steer to right, the killswitch (Killer B v2) kicks in. It only happens when I steer in that direction. Once I steer left, the killswitch disengages. I'm thinking my servos (Turnigy S8166M x2) may be pulling too much amperage and tricking it to think the charge is low. Any ideas?
Old 09-14-2016, 09:02 AM
Mechanicaloverlord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Entirely possible that you are having a brownout situation. Some receivers (Spektrum) are particularly susceptible and will shut off. Do you have the servo(s) powered through the receiver? Powering them directly off the battery will eliminate the receiver as a restriction and possibly solve the problem.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:05 AM
bbuzzard

Originally Posted by Mechanicaloverlord
Entirely possible that you are having a brownout situation. Some receivers (Spektrum) are particularly susceptible and will shut off. Do you have the servo(s) powered through the receiver? Powering them directly off the battery will eliminate the receiver as a restriction and possibly solve the problem.
Yes, powered from the RX but this problem just recently started. I have experienced it with two different batteries and two different TX/RX setups (FlySky vs Futaba)
Old 09-17-2016, 01:06 PM
bbuzzard

https://youtu.be/IHaJ1Uh1eiM https://youtu.be/fLmmBX61CkM https://youtu.be/OkDGGgFiawc
Old 09-17-2016, 03:38 PM
flyinwalenda

I would suspect the servos and anything else with Turnigy on it.

Disconnect one servo at a time from the receiver and pull the linkage/arm and test it again with the remaining servo then repeat the process and test the first servo and see what the results are.

You really need to connect an amp meter between each servo lead and the receiver port. It will tell you at a glance if the servo is drawing too much current due to binding linkage or a faulty servo.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:16 AM
Mechanicaloverlord

I don't know why but my mind ignored how it only happens when turning right until I watched the videos. That has to be one of the oddest behaviors I've ever seen! I've seen bad servo's have some weird side effects but this takes the cake! Having the kill switch reset after turning left is the most baffling.

Normally I'd say there's a servo giving off some sort of feedback causing havoc, seen that sort of thing before. But that's usually constant and this isn't. Plus your linkage seems to be adjusted well as the servo's don't seem to be fighting each other at all. One or more of the servo's still gotta be doing something to effect it though. Do the normal shuffling of the servo leads to isolate the offender, plug in other servo's, try the offender in a different channel, etc. And please let us know how you make out!
Old 09-20-2016, 04:53 AM
bbuzzard

I'm in contact with Killer Ken so I hope to get this resolved soon.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:55 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah.... this one is a mystery.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:12 PM
bbuzzard

All fixed now...it was a TX setting issue. On the 3PM-X, the 4WS setting was inadvertently switched on which screwed with the AUX channel. Thanks to Killer Kent for the assist. BTW, Turnigy ain't all bad!
Old 09-26-2016, 08:47 PM
Mechanicaloverlord

I have the same radio, love it. Still never would've thought of the 4ws accidentally being engaged. Learn something new everyday!