Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

traction on loose surfaces--I need the adjustable diff?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

traction on loose surfaces--I need the adjustable diff?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 08:20 AM
paul_c
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traction on loose surfaces--I need the adjustable diff?

I think I know the answer, but when accelarating on loose gravel, one wheel spins faster than the other, and the truck doesn't launch as straight as I'd like. A little of this is understandable, but on some surfaces, things are barely controllable. For those who have the adjustable diff, did this decrease the problem. Did anyone lock up the diff to get both wheels spinning evenly? (I know some of you used thicker diff oil, but I'd rather just have things really locked up--unless there is a drawback to this)
Old 04-30-2005, 08:45 AM
kiora

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: traction on loose surfaces--I need the adjustable diff?

I have the adjustable diff 0-90% locked. I found in wet greasy mud it was much better, but on a dry dusty track it was so different as to be undrivable it would launch off then just spin around for no real reason. unlock the diff and all was well again.

This was on an MB, i'm gonna lose the adjuster ring I think and fit a normal diff cover so i can get rid of the alloy spacers under the diff mounts needed to fit it in.

Col.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:51 AM
Doohan

I have the FG Twin adjustable diff in my Monster Truck.....heaps better than the factory diff.
I just cut a small slot in the chassis so the diff ring would fit....better than fitting spacers.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:36 AM
chevyman_de

The standard open diff is just fine (with an alloy case, of course). The only locking differential worth its price in off-road cars is the new visco diff. Expensive, yes. But no need for adjustment and silk smooth action. I don't know why FG is telling it's for on-road only. It's the best there is.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:59 AM
paul_c

ORIGINAL: kiora

I have the adjustable diff 0-90% locked. I found in wet greasy mud it was much better, but on a dry dusty track it was so different as to be undrivable it would launch off then just spin around for no real reason. unlock the diff and all was well again.

This was on an MB, i'm gonna lose the adjuster ring I think and fit a normal diff cover so i can get rid of the alloy spacers under the diff mounts needed to fit it in.

Col.
That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. You get spinning because one wheel is spinning faster than the other. Should be less of a problem if both wheels are spinning forward equally. And this happened after you got the adjustable diff? mmmmm.......
Old 04-30-2005, 10:59 AM
geniusgene

I locked the diff in my mt and it was undrivable. The slightest touch of throttle and it would spin out. I would lean towards the adjustable diff since locking it completly is not ideal.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:23 AM
kiora

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im guessing it was because both wheels were spinning/powered to the samedegree, but only one had any traction.

I'll stand corrected though

Col.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:56 PM
paul_c

So someone's gotta make a limited-slip differential (although the better answer is a quality 4-wheel drive system--but that's another thread). Oh well.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:40 AM
sasquatch1976

I will go with chevyman_de here. I have had the opportunity to try both a onroad (sportsline) and a MT with the selfajusting 4 way diff (viscous version not released at the time)

It is selflocking/unlocking from 0-85% I think (perhaps higher than 85% can't really remember)

I have no special skills in driving but what a difference. Most FG shops says that it is only an aid in driving, not a solution, but I'm more leaning to the "solution" part.

If I ever need to buy any other diff upgrade besides getting rid of the stock unusable plastic one (why was that even invented in the first place..??) I would surely go for a self ajusting or viscous version. The 4-way diff is almost the same price as the viscous one.

Yes pricy but hassle free and perhaps the best upgrade you can get.

EDIT: Spelling
Old 05-02-2005, 04:38 AM
paul_c

ORIGINAL: sasquatch1976

I will go with chevyman_de here. I have had the opportunity to try both a onroad (sportsline) and a MB with the selfajusting 4 way diff (voscous version not released at the time)

It is selflocking/unlocking from 0-85% I think (perhaps higher than 85% can't really remember)

I have no special skills in driving but what a difference. Most FG shops says that it is only an aid in driving, not a solution, but I'm more leaning to the "solution" part.

If I ever need to buy any other diff upgrade besides getting rid of the stock unusable plastic one (why was that even invented in the first place..??) I wouls surely go for a self ajusting og viscous version. The 4-way diff is almost the same price as the viscous one.

Yes pricy but hassle free and perhaps the best upgrade you can get.
Do you know what part number, as I'm not familiar with this.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:19 AM
ammdrew

Old 05-02-2005, 07:14 AM
No Moa
My Feedback: (1)

So you have to buy new axles 2? Well, i guess when mine blows up, i'll have to look more closely at this.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:48 AM
dubby

You dont need new axles for the adjustable diff.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Ghydda

ORIGINAL: sasquatch1976

I will go with chevyman_de here. I have had the opportunity to try both a onroad (sportsline) and a MB with the selfajusting 4 way diff (voscous version not released at the time)

Re-hee-heeeeaaalllyyy..... That's good info Allan - you just rearranged my shopping list completly there!

I've been playing a lot (!) this weekend and I gotta tell you - I'm kinda sick and tired of having to be oh so gentle on the throttle everytime I run on a loose surface when accellerating. Buggers me senseless and spoils the fun all together.

If that viskos diff contains the holy grail then I'm prioritising it above any alloy hop-up!

Cheers!
Old 06-22-2005, 03:27 PM
AceCoolie

I just bought the visco diff. I've been running the Technokit Auto-blocking but I've never been very happy with it. I don't think it provides very much locking action. I raced lasted week agains a car with the visco diff and the difference was amazing. We'd exit a turn and get on the gas and I'd diff out and smoke the tire while he just drove away. I can't wait to try mine out. I'll move the Technokit to the MT.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:03 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

I have the visco diff(FG#8600-$330.33 ) and yes it awesome and no modificatons are neccessary other than you must omit the copper washer on the drain plug. Now that I have lifted my diff with krikke diff plates I could put the washer back on. BTW the visco comes with on road axle/ball cups if yours are in good shape you can re-use them. I have had no problems with rampant uncontrolability as with the four fold(FG#8501-$273) adjusted too tight. Yes the stock diff with the plastic is very notchy (at best) the aluminum upgrade(fg#8484-$76.18) is better but it still will not help your tracion situation. Good luck! Just so they are all here the single fold(FG#8485-$172.25) And the stock with all alloy(FG#8483-$151.45)
Old 06-22-2005, 09:49 PM
King of Kong

make it to 4wd, thats the best solution. Mine is cornering on throtle and no sliding.
If you put some time , I'm sure you can make one.
I don't sell mine but you all welcome to see the design.
it is not detiled yet. but soon I will post more picture.
mostly used fg parts.

this parts I make is much cheaper than putting option parts or diff.

http://fg4wd.tripod.com
Old 06-23-2005, 01:06 AM
jimbo1890

King of Kong, thanks for your generosity I plan to build my own 4WD conversion and different Ideas are most welcome. I don't plan to sell these kits, to me RC is my hobby and I never want it to become a job.

I look forward to seeing more of your conversion and any problems you may have had.

Anyway, Thanks again
Old 06-23-2005, 09:05 AM
sasquatch1976

Ghydda: Yes.. Holy Grail for sure. (Love the Jim Carry laugh hehe)

Viscous diff or 4 way self ajusting for me also.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:38 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

I would try 120,000 or 300,000 diff lock and see how you like it. I use 120,000 myself and I'm very hapy with the results. $10 is much better that a few 100 $$'s
Old 06-23-2005, 11:33 AM
AceCoolie

ORIGINAL: SELWA

I would try 120,000 or 300,000 diff lock and see how you like it. I use 120,000 myself and I'm very hapy with the results. $10 is much better that a few 100 $$'s
For an off-road car, I'd definitely try a heavy oil or diff lock fluid first since you've got limited traction to begin with and you'll never be able to put all the horsepower down. On a road car, you'll need a real locking diff to be competitive. There's just no other way to get out of the corners without diffing and overheating the tires. I can't stress the tire thing enough. With the stock FG Comp diff, I could go thru a set of Kronos on the rear in about 15 min. With the Technokit, I can stretch the same set of tires thru the whole race weekend and still turn quicker laps. Things will be even better with the Viscous Diff. If you race, a good locking diff will pay for itself in tire saving very quickly.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:39 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This stuff works wonderfully! (if you are one of the few who can still get into your diff. housing without a Dremel) [&:] But be sure to order two because a single container is too small for our size of differential. BTW, DON'T get any on your hands!!! [X(]

Thanks, Cyberfyn!

Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2005, 04:54 PM
CraigN

Im no expert on diffs, But i have learned from the knoledge and info from good racers That a quad auto locking diff and the viscous diff both work by Torque and thats why they are best used onroad with a good set of warmed tyres and loads of grip you diff out and torque is generated and they automaticlly lock, I don't think you would get that kind of result on a dusty lose surface so it would be of no great benifit, I would and have gone for a manual adjusting diff for offroad use, It's by far better than a stock diff more control and use of power on my leopard race. But for onroad people the quad diff is great but the new viscous diff would repay the new owner with a jolly good smile time after time they really do work well.