Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Bought two FG vehicles, quick question..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Bought two FG vehicles, quick question..

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 10:44 PM
hpiguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought two FG vehicles, quick question..

Hello,

I'm new to GAS powered R/C vehicles. But no where near new to R/C. I have literally dozens of planes, boats, 1/10th cars and trucks. You name it, I've built and driven it.

I bought an FG MT5 and an FG Sportsline truck w/CAT body.

For the MT5 I have purchased no additional parts. For the Sportline Truck I got the front brake kit and the sway bar kit with it. I will be using Futaba 1/4 scale servos for steering and Hitec 645MG for brakes and throttle. The Sportline will have a dedicated brake servo for the front hooked up with the throttle brake servo and mixed on my radio. I am using the Futaba 3 channel FM, w/ Futaba failsafe.

I have read almost all the threads on these boards and they have answered many of my questions.

Seeing as the stock air filters are considered by many to be inadequate I was wondering what opinion if any you all had on the Firehammer air filter. It's basically the same foam air cleaner but with a nice aluminum shroud. And it's only 16.99 @ Tower. Would this be a good upgrade to the stock uncovered foam filters????

I also plan on making Lexan side guards like they sell on Ebay and Lexan gear covers myself. I've read these off road trucks like to eat spurs and pinions.

Anyway, when the trucks arrive I'll paint them and post some pics.

Happy R/Cing to all and thanks for your advice and opinions in advance.

Chris
Old 06-02-2005, 10:46 PM
hpiguy

Default RE: Bought two FG vehicles, quick question..

Old 06-03-2005, 02:55 AM
jeff-fischer
My Feedback: (6)

Yes, but the question is, I wonder when Tower will ever get them in, if you notice it did say End of May, now it has gone to On Order

ORIGINAL: hpiguy
Seeing as the stock air filters are considered by many to be inadequate I was wondering what opinion if any you all had on the Firehammer air filter. It's basically the same foam air cleaner but with a nice aluminum shroud. And it's only 16.99 @ Tower. Would this be a good upgrade to the stock uncovered foam filters????
Old 06-03-2005, 03:38 AM
Cyberfyn

I think you might be getting confused. The stock large foam filter (as fitted to the new FG Monsters and marders) is excellent when properly oiled. The bolt on K&N weedeater type is the one that's causing problems by letting dirt in when overloaded. Stick with the stock FG filter & get some decent filter oil. It's a 5 minute job to remove and clean, either in hot water with washing up liquid, or in raw petrol/meths etc.

Ian F.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:51 AM
hpiguy

See that's what I thought.

I planned on keeping the stock filters for now and seeing what happened. I'll just oil them the way I do my nitro cars (never had a bad nitro engine due to filtration yet).

I was wondering if getting some bag prefilters (like they sell at the motocross shop) would help? Opinions?

I'm not worrying about speed, where I run these they won't get much chance to hit their top speeds. Maybe the on-road but not the monster. I just want the engine to run long and clean.

Chris
Old 06-03-2005, 09:23 PM
jimbo1890

the bag prefilter will stop sand and grit from sticking to the oiled filter foam

I just use a childs sock
Old 06-03-2005, 09:26 PM
hpiguy

Must be a lot of one socked kids in the neighborhood.

Or they see it and go, holy shi-t that's what happened to Tommy!!!!! The truck ate'em!!!!!

Old 06-03-2005, 09:30 PM
jimbo1890

one child normally equals two socks and spares are always nice.