Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

spark plug question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 11:14 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug question

ok I was wondering if anyone has used this type of plug?
http://e3sparkplugs.com/ [link=http://e3sparkplugs.com/]e3 sparkplug[/link]or would even try using it?I seen it at home depot last night while picking up some stuff, and it caught my eye, the eletrode it kinda odd I was just curious, if anyone has tried this plug, it was 7.00 and has a life time warranty
Old 04-02-2006, 12:42 PM
carpy100

Default RE: spark plug question

ORIGINAL: hndaman1

ok I was wondering if anyone has used this type of plug?
http://e3sparkplugs.com/ [link=http://e3sparkplugs.com/]e3 sparkplug[/link]or would even try using it?I seen it at home depot last night while picking up some stuff, and it caught my eye, the eletrode it kinda odd I was just curious, if anyone has tried this plug, it was 7.00 and has a life time warranty
seen it all before! NGK all the way
Old 04-02-2006, 03:41 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

the spark will only travel the path of least resistance ...... to one point only. [X(]
next it has to have a "R" number , most of the plugs for small power stuff not being a resistor plug will glitch the radio and cause your car to act funny when heading for a post at 60 mph

you can make a better surface gap plug by shortening the anode ( gap wire) and replace the gap to the side of the electrode and at the standard distance of .012". this in effect starts the flame front straight down and the spark isnt sheilded from the incoming charge....

its all the little things that add up
Old 04-02-2006, 11:59 PM
jimbo1890

Not sure if I understand completely what you're saying there. do you mean cutting the hook piece that is attached to the outside thread off at the same length as the center electrode and then bending what you have left closer (.012') to that center electrode? this would then shoot the spark sideways? From memory my 25 horsepower mariner outboard had plugs alot like this design.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:32 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

its a very common plug for outboards be cause of piston clearance and the low profile head.
the "wire" which we gap is the one that gets shortened.
cut it off about even with the center electrode and with a very stout pair of needle nose pliars start making the bend so the spark gap will be on the side of the electrode.
experiment with some "old" plugs first, the small dremel metal cutting disks work well for accurate cutting of the gap wire
Old 04-03-2006, 04:56 PM
edge540ts
My Feedback: (1)

I have heard of that in full scale drag racing. Does it have any noticeable effect on our engines?
Old 04-03-2006, 11:11 PM
jimbo1890

COOL Thanks FPS I will give it a try