Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Should I buy a Baja 5B?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I buy a Baja 5B?

Should I get one? What are your comments, suggestions, complaints about it? I will be totally new to 1/5, but I am no stranger to the 1/8 nitro trucks. I was watching some videos of it, and it looks totally AWESOME! But I want a mass opinion. Thanks. Anything helps.

-Chris
Old 09-22-2007, 01:09 PM
tmdz28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should I buy a Baja 5B?

i think you should.

i heard it is tough and reliable.

but no 2 speed though
Old 09-22-2007, 01:10 PM
lauderboy

try looking i asked this last week
Old 09-22-2007, 02:28 PM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

TGN is working on a 2 speed.

[link=http://www.teamgonads.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4500&Category_Code=TeamGoNads&Product_Count=24]TGN[/link]
Old 09-22-2007, 04:09 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

Why hell yes you should.....These are very durable and can take a good lickin, and now there a good many upgrade avail also now....you cannot go wrong
Old 09-22-2007, 04:13 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theyre great cars, the best $1000 you can spend in RC. Durable, high quality, tons of hop ups, great performance.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:23 PM
NitroBurn1

My brother bought one after I bought a Smartech/Firehammer, now I wish I had saved longer, and got a 5B. Not that I don't like my buggy, but the 5B is just real nice.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:44 PM
ttoks

if there s a 2 speed for the 5b, i'm getting me the SS and the two speed, thats the icing on the cake i was after for a large scale.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Dave ESPI

Sell your Nitros now. You will never play with them again.

ps: be a real man and get an FG
Old 09-22-2007, 10:10 PM
T I G

ps: be a real man and get an FG
Is that really necessary. We all now that you are brand loyal to FG but, come on.
Talk about being a man. Do everyone a favor and change you avator

Now onto the subject. A Baja is a great choice, not just is it a bang for the buck but its a great runner. I have put mine through some serious punishment ( we cant use bash because someone caugh caugh Dave will probably say something about the proper use and meanings of words) with minor carnage. They have tons of aftermarket and just as much support from HPI, parts are plentyful and most every LHS carries them. Everyone is looking forward to the 2 speed. TGN, DDM, RC4WD, Ramtech and a few others are coming out with some insane parts for them to.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:15 AM
Bratch96

Ha! That's not even his good side.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:10 AM
hathi
Banned

I would say dont get the 5b, but instead get the 5b SS. The new SS will be coming with lots of HPI designed new parts. And like others have said there are many aftermarket companies that are making lots of new parts such as RD Logics, Newera, GBE, and Vertigo Performance (just to name a few)
Old 09-23-2007, 05:58 AM
Osirisf16

i say, go and get your baja 5b now. I know about the SS but come on, the price will not be the same. I remember me that i was going to get the new inferno WC mp777 of kyosho and i lose only time. Finally , i get the MP777 sp1. What a joke hah? [&o]

owever, i don't have a baja neither but this december is going to be mine [>:][>:][>:].

Rock 'n Roll baby [8D][8D][8D]
Old 09-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Dave ESPI

HOOOODUP....

Wait a second.... don't get me wrong here,
I'm much rather see people getting a HPI than a Traxass Firehammer, Smartech Mutilator, or other off-brand any
day of the week !

The 5b is a good car. If the SS is all that it touts about the hype being, I will probaly get one also.
I'm not "JUST" and FG-guy..... I play with what is good and works. If we all demand good products, the junky ones will have to step up to keep up, or get left in the dust.

I was just razzing the guy about his inquiry and I gave solid advice, then a sarcastic line also. [&:] [8D]

* OP, seriously sell the nitros now. Use them to fund hop-ups and make that initial wallet shock a whole lot easier

THERE IS A 2-SPEED... there is a thread around the forum a few months back for it. Ya just have to do a bit of search digging
Old 09-23-2007, 12:44 PM
tmdz28

once the 2 speed for baja came up, it will buy the baja 5b SS.

for now, time to test run my FG ST!!
Old 09-23-2007, 04:03 PM
NitroBurn1

The Duratrax/Smartech Firehammer buggies are not junk, they will hang in there with any FG. But if I could buy any 1/5 scale, I would probably buy a Baja 5B. Since I own a Smartech, and not a Baja I am making the Baddest Firehammer I can make, and Im sure it will smoke many FG or other 1/5 rc. Thats what the hobby is all about, take what you got, and make it even better.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:38 PM
csp1971

Dave ESPI- Leave your "clone opinion" in your head before you start pressing keys. A lot of people here have them and have high opinions of them. I personally have a Firehammer MT and like it. I also have a Baja 5b, I like that as well.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:16 PM
mopar jake

get the baja it rocks right out of the box. i have one and it is tough as nails it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. in my opinion the best 1/5 scale out there.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:54 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Jolly Roger Pirate

Should I get one? What are your comments, suggestions, complaints about it? I will be totally new to 1/5, but I am no stranger to the 1/8 nitro trucks. I was watching some videos of it, and it looks totally AWESOME! But I want a mass opinion. Thanks. Anything helps.

-Chris
Baja's the best hands down, don't need a 2 speed on it. It also can fly above and beyond the rest without smashing into pieces. Doesn't do backflips easy like a nitro but who needs backflips when ya got 20 pounds of car doing wheelies,tossing out 30 foot roosts and tearing ruts into the bmx tracks, and in sand with paddles on it...well let the flying begin
out the box i'd add a jetpro v3 tuned pipe and a metal gear servo upgrade and you're set for some serious bashing
Old 09-24-2007, 06:57 AM
cougar2465

I hope you had experiences with those cars you called junk mate!!
I have a quite modded HPI Baja and FG (with front disc brake, full alloy diff, hubs, engine mounts, diff mounts, 2 speed) and have seen them running and I will not call them junk!! also, it sounds a bit offensive for some of those cars owners [8D]
Old 09-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Dave ESPI

I have a long time experience with Traxxas products, and have no desire to ever purchase or run one ever again. I tried giving them a second chance before I got the FGMT as Hobbytown carried the Firehammer. I got one, it broke in less than 10 minutes, and I promptly returned it as it was not unlike every other single experince I've had with Traxxas products..... except this time I returned it instead of keeping it and repairing it a few dozen times before I got pissed at it and gave up.

IMHO, there is a lot of junk on the market, and if that is what it takes to get someeone into the hobby and then to appreciate good quality, then great !..... There is such a small difference in price for quality that at this price range, what is 300.00 ?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:52 AM
csp1971

That's fine if you don't like them. Making a judgement based off of 10 minutes and breaking something doesn't qualify all of them as junk. You had a bad experience with it but never specified the problem. The difference can be more than 300 bucks. For 300 bucks difference you can get many hop-up parts (steel pinion, ball drive set, steel spur, upgraded pipe, etc.). For some people 300 bucks can make or break their decision to go large scale.

It's fine to throw out an opinion, but be specific as to why you think something is weaker than the other, be it parts support, broken gears, differential, etc. There are positives and negatives to all of the different brands.

I'm glad you love your FG, I've never owned one, but may someday. Unfortunately, I don't see anything that really interests me that they currently have out.

Also, I'm not a Traxxas fan, but have had a couple of their vehicles with very little problems, and not any more than a Losi or Associated would give me.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:16 AM
PBJT

Talk about a bunch of people getting thier panties in a bunch over an opinion! I have NO experience with any CHEAPO knock-offs and never plan to. If you like you knock-off crap then good for you, china really appreciates you money. And yes thats my opinion, don't like it? don't really care! Geez I feel like some of yous with all my whinning now

Getting back to the question, I have alot of time running with the HPI Baja but little time controling them. IMO they are very durable and would recommend it to someone.

Sory bout th spling. Its not inglish class

PBJT
Old 09-24-2007, 12:44 PM
csp1971

ORIGINAL: PBJT

Talk about a bunch of people getting thier panties in a bunch over an opinion! I have NO experience with any CHEAPO knock-offs and never plan to. If you like you knock-off crap then good for you, china really appreciates you money. And yes thats my opinion, don't like it? don't really care! Geez I feel like some of yous with all my whinning now

Getting back to the question, I have alot of time running with the HPI Baja but little time controling them. IMO they are very durable and would recommend it to someone.

Sory bout th spling. Its not inglish class

PBJT
Come on now, who really has their panties in a bunch? Thanks for making your point. Greatly appreciated. That is truly going to help multitudes of people.

I'm sure everything you are dressed in isn't from China/Asia, or your shoes, and any stuff you have in your house. I guess loaded people like you can afford to NOT purchase imports from Asian countries. That's awesome that you can do that! I'm impressed. You should go on a speaking circuit and earn some extra bucks and let us dummies know how we can make such an important change in our lives. I guess we can all start with the toys we drive, then light bulbs, shoes, shirts........

Old 09-24-2007, 04:23 PM
NitroBurn1

Firehammer vehicles are not junk. They are made in almost every way as FG vehicles. The reason I don't like to see them be called junk, especially by people that have never owned one, is that it gives people that might be interested in buying a Firehammer, a false image of the quality. I have driven mine pretty hard, and have not broken anything yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.