Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

1/3 scale off road monster

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:23 AM
faqps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/3 scale off road monster

Here's a little teaser of my current project. It started after wanting to make something for our trips to the desert...some friends that go with us don't have toys of their own (dirt bikes, 4x4 or whatever) and end up sitting at camp while the rest of us go have fun. I thought this would be fun for everyone, and it's the one toy that's still safe (relatively) and legal to operate once we crack open the tequila. Starting with an old moped my family had that I through away but had kept the engine...after getting the original framework down and sat the moped engine in it, I realized how dang heavy the engine was and decided not to use it. It has undergone several other design changes but I hope to finally finish it this week while I'm on vacation...we'll see.
Currently has a 42cc chainsaw engine, 12" wheels from an MX350 Dirt Rocket made by Razor, 6" cable-actuated mountain bike disc brakes (and another one will be mounted to the drive shaft for rear braking), wheel base will be under 4', and it sits about 34" wide. And the best part...it will have a full 10" of useable suspension travel. It sits up right now through the use of gas-charged springs, but I will probably change those to air-adjustable mountain bike shocks, but not exactly sure yet. But first things first, I need to finish everything else on it before I can get a real feel for the springs and suspension dampening. Steering I'm sure will have to be through the use of Tonegawa-Seiko's monster 12v SSPS105 although I don't want to dish out the $500-600 that it costs. I may end up making my own servo through the use of a wiper moter, or it's possible that I may get enough power through the use of four Hi-Tec HS-805BB servos, but I doubt it.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:29 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/3 scale off road monster

Thats excellent, be sure to keep us posted

Looks like it'll be a lot of fun
Old 09-26-2007, 06:23 AM
sam123
My Feedback: (1)

Wow man that is wicked.

IMO you should use a larger capacit saw. A 100cc chainsaw will only weigh agout 3-4 kg more and make more than twice the power.

Keep us updated!
Old 09-26-2007, 07:13 AM
Mudgy

Hello, Mate....welcome to the Creator's Club! haha
Nice

aren't gas struts too stiff for that?
BTW, look at the front shock plate for most 1/8 buggies & go with that (my2c)
If other inexperienced R/C drivers are driving this, make it stop better than it goes to avoid disappointment
I always recommend the "F & F" rule......sure, you can drive it, but if you "drive" it, you "fix" it!!!

???? what will be used as transmission?

Just had a brainwave!!
have you thought about an east/west engine mount?
If so, I see it adaptable to be a snow ski, too.......hmmmmmm.....[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Check out what this fella did

http://fieroaddiction.com/buggy.html

Old 09-26-2007, 01:37 PM
faqps

Thank you for the comments.
Ahhh yes, more power! I'm sure I will eventually go with a larger motor, but this one I found so cheap that I couldn't pass it up.
The gas springs are available with different force ratings (mcmaster.com) and I picked some that worked perfect for this. Plus, by changing the mounting point I'm able to get the exact spring rate that I need. However, I have already removed the gas springs and replaced them with air-adjustable mountain bike shocks that I got free from my local bike shop. I will probably end up using the gas springss on the rear until I can find some more bike shocks.
The braking power will definitely be way overkill. With bicycle disc brakes at all wheels, and the car only waying 70-90lbs, it will probably stop too good
I haven't decided on a transmission yet. I know there are different ones out there from gas scooters and pocket bikes and such. The problem for me is that I can't find any local shops that have these so I can get a close look at them. I want one that is light weight and small, and I just can't tell by looking at these things online. Either way, before I put in a trans I am first going to have it set up without one so I can get a feel for the gearing that I will want. Any suggestions for transmissions?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Q.S.

Nice build.. check out this link they may have have a tranny that will work for you. www.scooterparts4less.com There are also a few others on my site that might help on your build at. www.quarterscaleberetta.com Good luck.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:31 PM
carpy100

a tonnegawa steering servo should do you, with regard to throtle etc. us racers have found the ace servo's to be fraultless!
steering servo saver wise on 1/5th cars the hoermann servo saver is the best. although looking at your project, a totally different approach may be needed!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:40 AM
PAPE

that really nice, you will get a really bad sun burn if you weld in that outfit. There is a guy here thatmade a similar size buggy and no servos worked, he had to make his own and use a 12v power source look for it he even had an article on how to make them
Old 09-28-2007, 03:56 AM
faqps

Thanks for your help Stoneyberk...and I have been checking out your website for a long time. Thanks for all the cool pics there, a lot of ideas and inspiration has come from checking out all the cool toys
I did find (maybe from this forum, I don't remember) a servo saver that can be used for this application, among others. If you're interested, check it out here: zero-max.com/products/torque/torquemain.asp
One thing I think would be really great, once I get a motor with more power than I need, would be to make a real small motor-driven generator so I would never have to switch out batteries. A while back I found a website that had details about making one using a stepper motor, but alas I can't find it any more. Can anyone else point me in the right direction? Or have another idea for a super small generator?
Old 09-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Q.S.

Thanks guy... hey like how small of a generator would it need to be.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:48 PM
faqps

I was able to find a couple guys online that made generators using stepper motors about 2" in diameter, that's the size I'm hoping for. But I still haven't been able to find any specific schematics for making the circuit to make it work...still searching. The one thing I was thinking of using is a bicycle dynamo, but the problem is that they are all 6v and I will need a 12v, and the output power is extremely low.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Q.S.

I'll chat with a friend of mine a later on this and let you know im sure he knows where you can get one. or atleast how to build a 12 volt one. would a mini alt work like this?? www.runryder.com/helicopter/t190393p2
Old 09-28-2007, 04:05 PM
faqps

Thanks again for your help. That mini alternator is awesome! That's very much what I will be looking to make, although I'm sure it would have to be a little larger for higher output to run my steering servo.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Q.S.

Thats cool... meanwhile you need to let me know how much output power you need?? then I can go from there and let my buddy know and see what he can come up with.. later.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 09-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Q.S.

Hey I havent heard from friend yet on them but here are a few I ran across on ebay. there used for solar powered windmills and I think they may just work for you. they also use them for servos here you go http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZvirgelwhilry http://stores.ebay.com/kristeinjoycrafts on this last link you will need to type in generator in there search box after it opens...good luck. when I here from my friend I'll let you know.. good luck.((( That first link dont work right I'll check the spelling on it later.)))
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11625.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	772311  
Attached Images