Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

rtr or kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:34 AM
squidster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rtr or kit

i am starting to save for the hpi baja and i am wondering what the benefits of either way are.
i am thinking about the kit because if i build it i will know how to take it appart and fix things.

also, are there any other 1/5 scale buggys that you would recomend instead of the baja that is about the same price?

thanks
Old 01-06-2008, 01:34 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: rtr or kit

if you go for the Baja SS kit, you also get some upgrades over the RTR for a smaller price tag...
Old 01-06-2008, 03:42 AM
Osirisf16

The KIT include some optional parts of you need if you have the RTR, that's all, with a 26cc engine instead of a 23cc. But know that you will need electronics, don't forget that! I buy the RTR instead of the KIT. I upgrade the exhaust and vouala, GREAT
Old 01-06-2008, 09:18 AM
clubin

Get the SS kit, get the servos you need and a reciever for what ever type of radio you have and there you go, have fun building.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:12 PM
looker2756

The SS kit is very nice. The up-grades made are definitely worth it. The point already made is very important. Building the kit allows you to understand all of the adjustments & how to repair it if it gets broken. This is one of the things the RTR market has created. People buy an RTR vehickle with no experience at all, Take it out & break it. Then it sits & gets sold off, because they have no clue how to repair it. Anyone getting into the hobby needs to be aware, if you play hard or race hard, eventually your vehicle is going to have an issue of some kind.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:05 PM
qaiz

Definately the kit, its better than the RTR and cheaper too.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Dave ESPI

Invest in good gear and the kit is the way to go if you are serious in RC and a hobbiest.
If you just want to have backyard fun, get the RTR.

THey are both the same, and you can down load the PDF manual for the baja. It is not a complex kit. If you have ever built a Kyosho Ultima, Associated RC-10 or a Losi buggy, it is almost the same... cept on steroids.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:44 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah there are many parts but its intuitive and makes sense to anyone whos worked on RC cars before.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Hairballusmaximus

doesnt the ss kit come with the large scale steering servo and the battery? if so tower has a decent hi-tech computer radio tx an rx no servo for 100 bucks, and the tower ts-70 has 133 oz/in of torque(more than stock rtr servo) and is made by hi-tech, and I think is only 35 bucks right now.with this setup youcould come in under RTR price with better radio equipment and the better ss kit. This is what I was gonna do but when I decided to get it everyone was out of stock on the ss and so I settled for RTR.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 AM
thopper

No battery
Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Hairballusmaximus

then I'd get the larger capacity 3000 or 3200 mah cant remember which one, but tower has them for around 30-40 bucks, and you are probably still $$$ahead of the RTR, not by much but maybe a few?
Old 01-07-2008, 11:06 PM
looker2756

All in all price wise they will be nearly the same. The thing is though, you get all the cool upgrades & a clear body you can make custom for yourself.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:25 AM
Hairballusmaximus

very true, I would prefer kit also, but some people think that they will save money buy getting the RTR instead of kit, and if you pay attention to what you get you will get the uprades in the kit , plus upgraded radio and servos over RTR and still come out equal to cost of RTR and possibly even less.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:37 AM
hathi
Banned

ORIGINAL: squidster

i am starting to save for the hpi baja and i am wondering what the benefits of either way are.
i am thinking about the kit because if i build it i will know how to take it appart and fix things.

also, are there any other 1/5 scale buggys that you would recomend instead of the baja that is about the same price?

thanks
This is the lost thing with rtr's is that when something breaks you dont know how to go after the problem. Kits are the only way to go, I just wish that it was like the old days... no rtr's
Old 01-08-2008, 08:41 AM
fourwheeler

To answer the question from the thread starter....get both, I did.

RTR's have their place in the hobby, it's how alot of people get started. There is nothing wrong with the RTR that a few hop ups can't fix. The SS is nice but it also needs a few things (pull start filter, axle extenders).
Old 01-08-2008, 10:09 AM
htawfik3

This is the lost thing with rtr's is that when something breaks you dont know how to go after the problem. Kits are the only way to go, I just wish that it was like the old days... no rtr's
I will recommended kit over RTR, maybe because I’m came from old school where RTR was not existed. Kit will give you good chance to learn a lot for maintain and repairing your car, I saw many people spending hours disassemble their cars to change parts which could be change in 10 min. if they know from where they should start.

I'm with Dave ESPI 100% “kit is the way to go if you are serious in RC and a hobbiest”