Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

FG 2 speed to single speed. What parts do i need?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG 2 speed to single speed. What parts do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 05:18 PM
tmdz28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FG 2 speed to single speed. What parts do i need?

I bought my FG Stadium used, and it came with the 2 speed installed. But, I found out that single speed is better for off road use. Basically, i have everything installed and working properly on my current set-up. So what do i need to switch it back to single speed? Assuming i have the spur and pinion for a single speed ready.

thanks

Sid
Old 03-03-2008, 06:29 PM
AngelShark

Default RE: FG 2 speed to single speed. What parts do i need?

Hi There,
If you have the pinion and spur gears, all you need are the following part #'s

FGSTD6041 - Pinion shaft 10 mm, 1pcs.
FGSTD6050 - Plastic gear carrier 60 mm, 1pce.
FGSTD6049 - Clutch bell, 1pce.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:37 PM
tmdz28

Is there a specific reason why i need the clutch bell? Is the 2 speed bell and single speed bell different? I also have a metal spur carrier on my 2 speed, can i re-use that? I am thinking about buying the metal spur and pinion.

Thanks for the reply

Sid
Old 03-03-2008, 07:18 PM
thesharkfactor

i have 2 speed on my beetle.

if you want to run with 1 speed, buy the correct size pinion and spur for 1 speed, you cannot use the 2 speed gear carrier as the dimensions are different..you will need a new 1 speed carrier,

take of the 2 speed pinions, spurs and clutch....fit the 1 speed pinion and spur...easy//

the reason clutch bell is mentioned is, the 2 speed clutch bell has a longer shaft to accomodate 2 gears..but i see no reason why you would need to change it to run 1 speed, if you dont chnage it, you can easily switch back to 2 speed if you please.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:45 PM
tmdz28

if the 2 speed clutch bell has a longer shaft, then using only one gear would make some of the shaft to stick out right? I want to use the CAT5 metal gears and pinion, since i got so tired of replacing pinion and spur. I just want my FG to run perfectly. So i will do it once and do it right.

Thanks bro

Sid
Old 03-04-2008, 06:31 AM
thesharkfactor

personally, i would keep the 2 speed..there is a big perfomance difference..faster acceleration & higher top end..i have 46/18 for first gear and 42/22 for 2nd, which is the high speed 2nd gear ratio, but requires a biger engine and tuned pipe to get the best from it. (i have 29cc and samba)

if your 2 speed clutch is set properly, it will change up a gear as other cars are screaming flatout! it's all down to how you set it up. likely, on an offroad track, you wont have the space to even change into 2nd, so you will have the benefit of the closer 1st gear ratio to keep you ahead of the pack.

if your not on an offroad track, and you have the enough space, you can expect 2nd gear to go in excess of 70mph (maybe more depending on your set up)..leaving 1 speed cars behind!

just my 2 cents...!