Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

King Motors Baja Review with pictures

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

King Motors Baja Review with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:38 PM
niko64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: King Motors Baja Review with pictures

that sounds like it could leave a mark.and then some.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wasn't as bad as you think...the DS alloy bumper took the hit like a champ but when it flipped the engine died...no other damage.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 PM
ace@
My Feedback: (9)

Did you get it started yet? It's been why to cold in NY to run 18 degrees and falling BURRRRRRR!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:27 PM
niko64

ace, you aint kiddin way too cold today.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:59 PM
bbuzzard

ORIGINAL: niko64

ace, you aint kiddin way too cold today.
Bundle up with layers...I lived in NY and all you gotta do is build up those layers....LOL!

Old 12-29-2009, 10:41 PM
blackyz250

Yes, I haven' t had time to try it out yet but, hopefully this weekend and I got it off ebay. It was listed under FS not rovan for some reason. Willlet you know how it preforms and I'llpost some vids as well. I wonder if anyone else as any experi with these compared to KM.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:46 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Here in Colorado its been cold to, but its the snow on the gound that's keeping me from running my GP Baja because I have yet to get two full tanks through it yet... [:@]
Old 12-30-2009, 03:12 AM
EngageRC

get the baja snow shoes..
Old 12-30-2009, 04:00 AM
srt10

trolls..... [:@]
Old 12-30-2009, 12:55 PM
willclark77
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: bbuzzard

died on impact on a curb...I have flipped it before and it ran yesterday

Hopefully you didn't do what I did a while back and crack the cylinder. Good luck with it!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:03 PM
bbuzzard

ORIGINAL: willclark77

died on impact on a curb...I have flipped it before and it ran yesterday

Hopefully you didn't do what I did a while back and crack the cylinder. Good luck with it!
Nah, no damage up front...just the motor...ugh! So what's the recommended headkit to put on if I need to rebuild the GP290? ported, 27cc or get another 290 head?

Old 12-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Johnnysplits

Iwould go for a race ported head kit, lightened piston, and 2mm stroker crank. But if you didnt know, o'neils has 10% off everything until 12/31 so Iwould jump on it.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:19 PM
bbuzzard

Thanks..that's good to know...
Old 12-30-2009, 02:27 PM
bbuzzard

Is there a difference between the OBR motors and the ESP's that DDM sells?
Old 12-30-2009, 04:33 PM
willclark77

Is there a difference between the OBR motors and the ESP's that DDM sells?
The only difference I am aware of is who actually does the porting. I believe they're the same parts, just modified by two different shops. Do not quote me on that though. I'd suggest asking DDM directly first. When/if you order a headkit for your gp290, be sure you get the right one. There's two. Version 1 has a 38mm cylinder, version 2 a beefier40mm. They're not interchangeable.

What I was referring to above is:

Mine broke smoothe in two. Not my gp290, but original engine. It wasn't visible until I removed a cylinder bolt.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:49 PM
willclark77

From yesterday before it started raining again. I think the rewritable dvd in my cam corder is about wore out. I've been using that same dvd for a year and the quality of vids has went way down, not that they were ever very good. It probably has 100+ write cycles. Haha. I plan on gettin a new dSLR before too long anyway that'll record video.

Stripped the spur gear (see the end) before I did much.

williamclark77.smugmug.com/Other/Video/5457681_CV33x#753250327_aPKj7-A-LB
Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 PM
93octane

Nice vid!! man that thing rips! what engine you runnin?[sm=48_48.gif]
Old 12-30-2009, 05:02 PM
ace@

Nice Vid and wheelie!!!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:13 PM
BigGrump

Nah, no damage up front...just the motor...ugh! So what's the recommended headkit to put on if I need to rebuild the GP290? ported, 27cc or get another 290 head?

I like the idea of a 2mm stroker crank, and a head modified to take the stroker. But, if you go the ported route, look at all the extra money you will have in the head, then when you break it again, the replacment cost is higher.

Seems to me you have always been satisfied with the power of the 290 stock. If that is really the case, then just another cylinder and piston will do it.

I am just rambling, you decied, it is actually none of my business. Main thing I feel is you should do what makes you happy and what you can easily afford.

Dennis
Old 12-30-2009, 08:35 PM
bbuzzard

OK, thanks for the input...my GP290 is the 40mm version. I will probably get the ported version for about $20 more than the stock head. I was running agianst a 27cc ported Baja and it was walking away from mine. I will not lay down and let anyone beat me!
Old 12-30-2009, 10:18 PM
srt10

OK, thanks for the input...my GP290 is the 40mm version. I will probably get the ported version for about $20 more than the stock head. I was running agianst a 27cc ported Baja and it was walking away from mine. I will not lay down and let anyone beat me! [img][/img]
Go get em man!
oh and get the video !!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:55 AM
BigGrump

OK, thanks for the input...my GP290 is the 40mm version. I will probably get the ported version for about $20 more than the stock head. I was running agianst a 27cc ported Baja and it was walking away from mine. I will not lay down and let anyone beat me!
Now that's the spirit. Worth 20 to 40 more any day to not let that happen.

Have fun and let us know.

Dennis
Old 12-31-2009, 02:49 AM
Vert1go

Disagree. Maybe it's just plain wrong to support a product that ripped off another company's design? Could that be why many sponsored races are HPI-only? Ithink so. Myself, I bought a HPI Bajas for two reasons - first, they are a better quality product, and second, they invested in designing the product so I chose to support the company that made the Baja exist in the first place. And no, they are not all made in the same factory. Ihave no idea where this hogwash came from. HPIhas already issued statements to this effect.
For those of you that bought your KM Bajas, that's great. Ireally don't have any problem with that. But stop brainwashing yourselves into thinking the KMis the same quality as the HPI unit. Seriously.And yeah, maybe the HPI guys are justified in feeling the way they do. But of course, all that most people care about is saving a buck. Unless it was your company that was having its products copied, then you would feel differently.

ORIGINAL: srt10

ORIGINAL: BigGrump

Racing with the KM included with HPI's will occur when non partisan tracks start having a Baja 1/5 scale class. Right now, what you are all hearing is the HPI only at tracks and events either owned or put on by manufactures of aftermarket parts for the baja's. They obviously believe it is better business to profess to only want to do business with HPI owners. As the market shakes out, this will all change.

This whole HPI only idea is actually a fad and clickish more like high school sophmore stuff.

If the HPI baja market starts to taper off, the aftermarket manufactures of parts will better change their tune and thankfully supply the KM and others market, or they will eventuially be squeezed out of business.

So, in my opinion, if you want to go racing, just look for a track with the 1/5 class and you will be welcome and just stay away from the private sponsored events.

Dennis
I agree Dennis..
has anyone gone over to the HPI forum?
kind of a bunch of middle school crap.. I've read through several threads and to me it sounds like a bunch of kiss ups [:-]
Old 12-31-2009, 06:39 AM
Johnnysplits

Are you serious dude? All kinds of product designs are copied and reproduced daily, all over the world. It breeds competiton for better quality goods. As far as the baja is concerned, what do you say to someone like me, who bought the KM for half the price of the HPI to save some money, but who is rebuilding the whole car with aftermarket parts? I read all the posts constantly over at HBF and i'll tell you, the quality of the hpi is not much better. They are breaking stuff left and right and replacing the parts with aftermarket. So should Ibe banned from racing because mine is not an "original" hpi ? Im sure the guys who race dont have many if any hpi parts left on their cars. And yes, I do have some hpi parts...but not many.
And by the way.....Happy New Year to everyone!!! and btw, its now going to be TWENTY TEN not two thousand ten omg if Ihear that one again someone's gonna get hurt LOL

Old 12-31-2009, 08:29 AM
magnum500

ORIGINAL: Johnnysplits

Are you serious dude? All kinds of product designs are copied and reproduced daily, all over the world. It breeds competiton for better quality goods. As far as the baja is concerned, what do you say to someone like me, who bought the KM for half the price of the HPI to save some money, but who is rebuilding the whole car with aftermarket parts? I read all the posts constantly over at HBF and i'll tell you, the quality of the hpi is not much better. They are breaking stuff left and right and replacing the parts with aftermarket. So should I be banned from racing because mine is not an ''original'' hpi ? Im sure the guys who race dont have many if any hpi parts left on their cars. And yes, I do have some hpi parts...but not many.
And by the way.....Happy New Year to everyone!!! and btw, its now going to be TWENTY TEN not two thousand ten omg if I hear that one again someone's gonna get hurt LOL

its not worth the reply . he`s all over km titled posts stirring the pot . we get it ..... blah blah blah blah blah . what really matters is the level of fun is the same as if you blew $600 or $1200 .
hopefully the bashing will move to outside in your favorite location in 20-10 .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.