Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Nice 1/5 scale clone guide...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 01:26 AM
jackle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice 1/5 scale clone guide...

Found this in another forum and thought it might be usefull here, unsure if I can link to it or not so i'll just post the content. Thanks "Alexxx" in other forum. Please, no flames.

FG - Original Marder kit and chassis designers. More platforms based on the marder, like the stadium/monster trucks.

Carson - A good clone brand, but not really clones. Their Attack Buggy is based on the marder platform but has some differences. Different Radio tray, different front body mounts, Blue anodized ally parts, New wheels and tires, different roll cage, different body and wing, different fuel tank. Comes as an RTR with decent radio. I would consider this a clone brand, but it is probably the best, with excellent build quality and with a price thats not too cheap to be true. Almost all fg parts are compatible. The thing which sets these apart from all other clones is that they have REAL zenoahs. The Attack buggy and new CRT truggy are based on the marder platform, the Gas Devil is their own design.

XRC - Their RC-2 buggy is based on the technokit junior chassis, with baja 5b style body and wheels and tires. From what i've heared the engine is a 23cc taiwanese copy of the cy engine. Also the gears of these and many other clones are made of cheap plastic, and cannot handle the power of a gasser engine. At 300 pounds though, it might be worth a look if you replace it to an alloy pinion. These are good cars for the money, and should be fine with just the upgraded pinion. After a while, with most of these clones, you might want to swap out the 23cc engine for something a bit larger, maybe a 26cc or 29cc engine. The stock engines are fine, they just need to pack a bit more punch.

Smartech - The spider/traveller buggy is a direct copy of the carson attack, just made with cheaper plastics. Almost all the marder clones use the carson as it is not copyrighted (i think whereas the fg is). The smartech avenger/twister, again is a copy of the fg onroad. They all have taiwanese CY copy engines. Smartech have also released the 'Titan', which is a direct copy of the carson Gas Devil. I would reccomend steering well clear of smartech, not from experience with their petrols, but they really have made some pretty awful nitros. Not too sure about the petrols, would anyone who has one please comment.

HobbyPro - Another Direct copy of the Carson attack, but (i think) it has a real CY engine. But now most retailers sell them with the alloy pinion, and from what i've heared they are a good car for the money (£350). The Ford GT onroad again is just a copy of the FG onroad chassis, but the shell is a real ford shell, not just a look alike and does look pretty mean. These clomes are good for the money, and spares from a marder will fit.

SQ and TQ - ShengQi and TianQi. Basically the same, and they sell copies of the FG monster truck. They have 26cc motors, unlike the buggies, and retail for about £330. Update: These are very good cars for the money, with good quality plastics. The main difference between these and the FG monster truck is the monster truck has alloy sideplates, which are sure to make it tougher. Spares for these are readily available, fg ones should fit, but you can get cheaper ones from ********.

FS Racing - Copies of the Old MCD Race runner and monster truck. These come with a 30cc engine which i'm sure packs a punch, and a tuned pipe if you get the 4WD monster. I think these are great, as they are the first 4WD petrols that wont set you back £1000 or more. From what ive heared these are made from good plastics and MCD parts will fit. Only thing to watch out for is the 1st edition monster truck. These have badly designed wheels that bend while turning. The 2nd version has solved this problem. I would definately go for one of the buggies, or the 4WD tourers which will be a blast. These are very interesting, and i am trying to get one myself. They are availiable here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/OversizeRc
The roll cages on these look tougher than the MCD ones, and you can get a monster truck with ally tuned pipe shipped for 450. Definately something you'll want to look into if you want a petrol basher.

KingMotor - Almost Direct Copies of the Baja 5B, look good for the money, only a few minor differences, ask DanTXD he's got one. They are currently developing a direct clone of the FG Baja and Baja 5B SS. Update: Almost all Baja Spares will fit, the only differenes are the smaller dog bones, smaller radio box. I think the engines are real fuelies.

Other big names , like XTM and duratrax sell petrol clones. These are exactly the same as the carson comanche and attack, and i've heared that carson sell their models to them.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:53 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Nice 1/5 scale clone guide...

Smartech makes Duratrax's 1/5s, and I'd definitely beg to differ with your opinion of them. I know its very unpopular on RCU to praise asian manufacturers, but I've owned smartech 1/5s and theyre fine. I have a Titan and a Bigfoot, both have been bashed and bashed, taken apart and put back together, etc. The bigfoot leaves a bit to be desired sometimes but the Titan, clone or not, is made from great parts and of great assembly.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:56 AM
hellya

The bigfoot leaves a bit to be desired sometimes but the Titan, clone or not, is made from great parts and of great assembly
which vehicle did the titan copy????.....Its a shaft driven 4x4 with the engine mounted to the rear of the chasiss, not centered on the vehicles chassis like MCD.....no other brands on the market has this (yet) ......its using parts from 2-3 different vehicles to make 1???

You also forgot about the the mutilator and the alligator ......The Gas Devil is the brother of the Titan....its the exact same vehicle only difference a CY engine
Old 03-21-2008, 06:43 AM
Leeber

I second the smartech traveller, is good quality. I have one.
Been heaps of fun.

Not bashed a lot, but seems it will take a bit.

That all
Old 03-21-2008, 06:45 PM
rckiwi

When will you all learn! Smartech is the manufacturer of Carson, Duratrax, XTM & Hobbypro they all come from the same factory just with different motors and bodies/decals!
Old 03-21-2008, 06:53 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much, Smartech is just a factory direct brand.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:29 PM
jackle

All, if you read the first line of my post, I copied this text from somewhere. I have no idea if the statements are true or not, just thought some ppl might find it usefull. Hopefully you all can clear up an innacuracies and make it "more usefull". Sorry for the confusion
Old 03-22-2008, 02:35 AM
K-Spindle

NOT CORRECT:

Hobby Pro factory is about an hours drive from Smartech. Hobby Pro was started by the former sales director of Smartech, some parts of the Hobby Pro cars come from Smartech but they are not the same company or factory.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:08 AM
gunner221

Can't complain about my Carson CRT, I have struggled to get some spares in the UK but all in all a great car. Looking to get a HPI Baja as my next truck
Old 04-09-2008, 04:05 PM
mokai1

Read my post Shenqqi monster truck not a good buy? it took $700 more to make it a good truck!
brand name or clone anyday!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:48 PM
jtnktz
My Feedback: (4)

KingMotor - Almost Direct Copies of the Baja 5B, look good for the money, only a few minor differences, ask DanTXD he's got one. They are currently developing a direct clone of the FG Baja and Baja 5B SS. Update: Almost all Baja Spares will fit, the only differenes are the smaller dog bones, smaller radio box. I think the engines are real fuelies.

Just to inform you guys, you can still replace the smaller t bones with HPI ones, and the radio box as well can be replaced by the HPI ones. The engine is infact a real fuelie.

Still trying to find out the release dates of the SS clone and the Marder clone...