Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

My FG Monster Beetle vs HPI Baja 5b SS Blog

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

My FG Monster Beetle vs HPI Baja 5b SS Blog

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:03 PM
jackle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My FG Monster Beetle vs HPI Baja 5b SS Blog

3/31/08

Since I own both now, I figured i'd start a "blog" for my own enjoyment and maybe someone else may find something usefull too. Here are my 2 cars (pics to come).

A well driven FG Monster Beetle (have had for 3-4 years).
(Need pic)

A brand new HPI Baja SS (In process of building, only 65 more steps to go heh)
(Need pic)

SO far, the Baja SS seems to be better engineered than the FG beetle, i'm still building it, but "so far" this is what it seems. It seems HPI has taken into thought some of the problems with other 1/5'th scale cars. I bet a few of their engineers read this site too. Granted, I only have the front end & radio box assembled but here are some of my thoughts.

A covered mount for the charge plug connector. Connects directly to the receiver box so you can just "plug in" your Baja without any dangling wires.
In contrast, on my FG, I have the spare plug for charging, but it just kinda hangs out inside the car. Yea, it can be mounted with some zip ties, but its just not as nice a design as the FG. (Need pic).

The receiver box seems neatly layed out, compact and sturdy. I feel very comfortable with this design, its kind of an "all in one" electronics center (servos are mounted on the side too). I had about 15 minutes of fun just playing with the fully assembled electronics unit and my new radio alone. HPI also puts the battery pack in this unit and as mentioned above, has a charging port to it. Even though this is a significant improvement over FG's design (servo's, receiver box & battery are all kinda scattered around the midsection), I would like to see someone take this a bit further, perehaps including the servo's INSIDE the receiver box (while putting the servo arms outside) and providing a waterproofing process. HPI also did not really water proof this receiver box , which I thought was kinda dissaponiting. A simple rubber gasket (like a large rubber o-ring) would have been welcomed here.

Wheel connectors. The square connectors on the FG kinda, well, stink. I've had problems with the FG connectors ruining my rims as well as coming loose and just spinning. After all, ALL of your rear end torque is held on by 2 set screws?!?!? In comparison, the Baja wheel connectors are very large heavy duty connectors. I can't see these slipping or stripping the wheels.

Overall design (remember i'm only on step 46 of 115). The baja seems maybe TOO designed. There are a few things that make me feel like comparing the FG vs HPI comparison is like comparing an old VW vs a modern honda. The old VW's are easy to work on, reliable and simple. Honda's are tightly packed and electronic and hard to work on. With the HPI, i'm a little concerned on the over-engineering of the product, things too tightly packed, to many "finess" items. The FG in comparison, seems like it is spacier and easier to work ono and maintain.

Tires, the FG monster beetle tires are by far higher quality than the HPI tires. I dont think much else needs to be said here. FG tires = cool.

More to come.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:07 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: My FG Monster Beetle vs HPI Baja 5b SS Blog

The baja seems maybe TOO designed. There are a few things that make me feel like comparing the FG vs HPI comparison is like comparing an old VW vs a modern honda. The old VW's are easy to work on, reliable and simple.
I feel the same way about the Baja, but it's also nice to see a company doing SOMETHING different. It's nice to see an RC car that isnt a flat piece of aluminum with a front and rear end screwed on. Its refreshing to see a car that is designed specifically and purpose built, instead of just built off of some chassis that's been around for years. (Not necessarily speaking of a particular vehicle).

On the other hand I do agree that some parts are needlessly complex.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:53 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: My FG Monster Beetle vs HPI Baja 5b SS Blog

Oranges/apples comparison. I've had both for a while too, but they're such different cars and are enjoyed in such different ways, there's no real way of comparing them. The main thing with the Baja is the aftermarket. The main thing with the FG is the ruggedness of it.

The Baja gets the attention of onlookers though, which surprised me, I thought the Hummer would get more attention, but invariably everyone prefers the Baja.

I have to say that up to now, I enjoy running the FG slightly more, it's the big wheels and short wheelbase, it FEELS like driving a monster truck. BUT, the FG is the more expensive car, and I have put TOP electrics in it, at some expense, so it should drive slightly better and feel more rugged. Having a Multiplex Rhino on the steering compared the stock HPI crap, is a hell of a difference in the driveability. A highly overlooked and essential upgrade.

The Baja is about to get a $1500 makeover of it's own and after that, all precedents are out of the window, it will be a different car. We will see. I'll post as well in here from time to time if I have something to add to your blog jackle. Butbe careful, this has been done before, and always ends the same way, in a flame war. The bottom line is that they aren't really comparable, and some will prefer the Baja due to the nature of it, and others the FG. Each to his own, I'm not here to change anyone's opinions.