Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Good, Bad, and Ugly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Grits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good, Bad, and Ugly?

Simply put what are the good brands/distributors if any? Which ones are easier to get parts for? Can you name a few good beginners type trucks that are durable but not top shelf? I don't want to start a Duratrax, Traxxas, HPI type war here, just what's ok and what to maybe not look at too hard. Thanks for replies and links to threads explaining all this. Oh yeah, I'm mostly interested in 4wd and not racing.[8D]
Old 04-21-2008, 09:15 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Good, Bad, and Ugly?

Since you want 4x4, the Baja 5B (which I normally recommend) is out. Check out the Smartech Titan, it's well built, 4x4, powerful, and a blast to drive. It's around $1300 RTR. Smartech is also on the verge of releasing some other 4x4 1/5s, so stay tuned for those. Redcat racing is going to begin distribution of Himoto made 4x4 1/5s, and by all accounts they seem good for a beginner - and best of all pricing is said to start at under $1000. The top dollar manufacturers also produce some 4x4 models but you'll be paying well over $2000 for RTR, and if you ask me they're not THAT much better. If you can afford the Titan I'd recommend it hands down, I have one and its great. Otherwise wait a bit and the other ones I mentioned will be entering the market.

If you can live with 2wd, buy the Baja 5B. It'll cost you less than $1000 and is one of the best RC vehicles in the industry across all price levels.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:14 AM
clubin

FG, MCD are easy to get parts for. I ahve a FG MB and also have a MCD Baja 1000 EVO III on the way. I originally wanted a 4x4 but bought the FG, and all I can say is that the FG is a blast to drive.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Grits

Well after doing some research and measuring, I might have to back down on this dream. I have the Losi Aftershock and there is barely enough room to run that around my place. I didn't realize they were so much larger than my truck. I do appreciate the info and replies though. I do like the idea of gasoline fuel as the gasser would be paid for in a couple years compared to $200.00/year on methanol/nitro fuel. Thanks again and I'll keep doing research and maybe make my son buy it for me. haha