Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

My brushless FG Baja

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 PM
LSALLOY
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My brushless FG Baja

She is ready for a test run this weekend. Need to make some permanent wire connections but she is ready to go. Here are some pics:

I am running a 14.8volt 5000 mah lipo to her so I should get some decent run time. Need to find someone to run the video camera .
Old 08-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Pro5thScaleDistributors

Default RE: My brushless FG Baja

Make a trip to Floyd bennett field in brooklyn this weekend ,you can take her down the drag strip to see how she can do with time & speed!
We run on the 1/4 scale drag strip with ruffley 12 to 20 guys almost every Sunday ,we also do some video there as well.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:53 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great, can't wait to see a video of it running.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:57 AM
thefog

dont normally like electric conversions but that looks good.
i notice you are using a separate battery for the servos great idea!!.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:15 AM
rhylsadar

hi

nice baja. looks like you transfered the motor mount etc from the "carson schattenjäger" or the similar harm model?

what batteries are you using?

bye
rhylsadar
Old 08-12-2008, 04:19 AM
thefog

ORIGINAL: rhylsadar

hi

nice baja. looks like you transfered the motor mount etc from the "carson schattenjäger" or the similar harm model?

what batteries are you using?

bye
rhylsadar
14.8volt 5000 mah lipo well that's what it says in his post..
Old 08-12-2008, 04:29 AM
rhylsadar

ah sorry didn't see in under the pic.

how much is the weight of the car ready to drive?

only 4s seems quite low voltage for me for such a big car. that may give you a bit short runtimes and hopefully the batteries may deliver the high amps.

many people drive with 6s or more even more in 8th scale cars. i haven't converted one of my fgs yet but the plan was more to go with 8s or higher.

bye
rhylsadar
Old 08-12-2008, 04:57 AM
ozace

First, great job !

Can we have some details of the power train please ?

What motor and esc ? 4s does seem a little low for such a big car.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:40 AM
LSALLOY

I have two batteries to run together when she is complete. Just have to fabricate a battery brace for two batteries I will have to put her on a scale for weight but she is much easier to carry now. Not too familiar with lipos. Is there anything specific besides a y connector needed to run 2 batteries at once?
Old 08-12-2008, 05:54 AM
splcrazy

where do you get the electric motors for this sort of thing , and how differant is it without clutch and bell , all i see is the pinion attached directly to the motor shaft
Old 08-12-2008, 07:26 AM
frumpy

This would spoil it for me,there nothing like the smell of 2 stroke in the morningAnd besides Batteries are for flashlights
Old 08-12-2008, 07:40 AM
rhylsadar

hi

how many rpm per volt does the motor you have there?
you know you can not just double the voltage IF the motor is adjusted for 4s. the trick with higher voltage is to go with lower rpmv motors that use less amps but still have the same rpm due to the higher voltage. this results in a more efficient system that puts out the same or more power with cooler components because the power comes from voltage and not ampere. this usually also gives you longer runtimes.

there are many advantages of electric compared to gas engines. however this is a question of personal preferences etc.

if you do not use a clutch you can brake with the motor.

bye
rhylsadar

Old 08-12-2008, 07:48 AM
LSALLOY

Not sure of the specs with the motor, I have to find the paperwork. I do remember that it can hold up to 22 volts i beleive. This is a similar set up to the harm/carson electric but it was much less in cost. Harm has a rediculous markup on the motor and esc. I am testing this system out, if all works out, we will make them available here in the US.

Frumpy, I too do like gas, my hpi baja, fg Monster Beetle, and my Redcat MT are all still gas. I saw the brushless set up and wanted to see what it can do. With his I can run in my backyard without disturbing the neighbors or attracting the 37 kids in my neighborhood that want to try it out.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:10 AM
rhylsadar

hi

yes i would check those specs. remember with the gearing in the large scale models the car will get quite fast if we target around 20'-25'000rpm. so that would mean with 6s lipos a motor that does around 1000-1200 rpmv. furthermore the motor does need a lot of torque to make the car really move. with higher voltage a lower turn motor would be adequate.

iirc those harm/carson sets were normal XL motors similar to the feigao XL motors. those are nice motors and maybe it can make a large scale model move ok. however i personally would go a step larger with motor and esc. e.g. the 30er series of the lehner motors, the plettenberg bolido or a big neu motor. the XL feigaos are usually used in 8th scale conversions in truggys, monsters etc. i can imagine they will do ok in a large scale model that is quite lighweight.

for the esc are not too many possibilties. if the esc needs to do the braking too maybe a watercooled version of the schulze 40.160 can do it. there are bigger schulzes coming out some time in the future the XXL versions. they will go up to 300A current. [link=http://www.schulze-elektronik-gmbh.de/prs23_d.htm]xxl esc[/link]. maybe a big mgm can do the job.

[link=http://www.lehner-motoren.de/]lmt motors[/link]
[link=http://www.neumotors.com/20061222/Home_Page.html]neu motors[/link]
[link=http://www.plettenberg-motoren.com/]plettenberg[/link]

if you are going to use mechanical brakes then there are other options of esc. (e.g. the HV hydra from cc).

bye
rhylsadar

Old 08-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Kemo

37 kids in the neighborhood? oye... and I thought the neighbors daycare was bad enough.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:12 AM
LSALLOY

I know when I ordered this set up well over a year ago that I asked for the fastest motor at the time. I was also told to gear it up for more top end. I left the stock gears on it for now but will change them to 20/44 after it is tested.

I am going to put front cable brakes on after testing. I will also have to fabricate a plate to hold the batteries down. I am thinking something simple to mount to the chassis where the gas tank mounts and using wide velcro straps to mount the packs.

I have some smaller 7.4 volt venom packs I can stack 2x2 which may fit better and give me the same voltage. I may just order a custom brick pack too. I am free this saturday so I can get some good run time for this and my upgraded hpi baja converted to onroad.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:59 AM
rhylsadar

hi

from which shop did you buy the set?

if this is a normal XL feigao style motor i would be very reluctant with too long gearing. carefully watch the temperatures of the motor with a temp gun. from the pics it looks like the motor has got a 5mm shaft with an adapter for mounting the pinion. if that is the case it is probably such an XL feigao style motor. the car should probably be quite lightweight then. how much does it weight?

there is no such thing as "the fastest motor" per se. the choice of the motor depends on the voltage, gearing etc. but i guess since you bought this as a set it is somehow matched togehter. i was just wondering because of the low voltage.

but yeah best thing is you give it a try and see how things turn out.

bye
rhylsadar

Old 08-12-2008, 11:01 AM
LSALLOY

I got it from here: http://www.hm-modellbau.de

They have since changed motors that they sell and no longer carry the ESC (or at least I could not find it in the translated version of the page). Maybe hellya can help out with the German.

Harm no longer has their web site up where there is an info on it. I do know you had the option of normal or high speed where you can run more volts through a certain esc (which is what I chose).
Old 08-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Jloc

Looks great....Looking forward to see the results!( VIDEO ). Would be kewl to have an electric in the collection.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:44 PM
looker2756

I can't wait to see some video of this running. I talked with Shawn the former owner of the Baja & he said this was the plan. The chassis & drive train have very little run time on them. He has other Largescales to play with as well. Looking forward to more info on performance & Video !!
Old 08-15-2008, 03:22 PM
LSALLOY

The buggy did look good, it was a little dirty but every fg is after 1 or 2 runs in the dirt. The first test runs will be onroad with f1 tires. After everything is mounted and secured correctly we will go off-roading. 75% of the drive train that came with it off the buggy. the only original left is the diff. I am thinking I may need to gear it to 20/40 to see what it can do. I have to see what traction i get with the f1 tires first.

ORIGINAL: looker2756

I can't wait to see some video of this running. I talked with Shawn the former owner of the Baja & he said this was the plan. The chassis & drive train have very little run time on them. He has other Largescales to play with as well. Looking forward to more info on performance & Video !!
Old 08-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Mr Terminator

Thats crazy dude,good luck with the testing and speed runs,hope its all you expect it to be and is certainly different seeing a 1/6 fly past without bursting the eardrums....