Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Looking at FS Monster Truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Marc101885

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at FS Monster Truck

I want to join the 1/5 scale club. Ive had electric cars since i was little and recently had my friends nitro for several months to play with. So i am not completely new to the rc world and i have read through about 20 pages of forums the past week about different models of the 1/5 scale rcs. I'm looking at getting the FS MT 4wd. I will be upgrading the bearings as listed in another post. I have also read a lot about compatability with different companies components (mostly MCD). I think the idea of getting an offbrand truck and upgrading it makes more sense than starting with an expensive truck and upgrading that. But anyway, what components are compatable with the mcd trucks, and what are some suggested upgrades after the bearings and radio/servos.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:21 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Looking at FS Monster Truck

Engine and pipe would be next. Welcome.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:38 AM
rc rock

radio system and servos....
Old 08-26-2008, 02:56 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rc rock

radio system and servos....
ORIGINAL: Marc101885

after the bearings and radio/servos.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:24 AM
bentley marshall

read all 22 pages on the link below yoy will find out all parts the need to be changed
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6988418/tm.htm
Old 08-26-2008, 03:25 AM
rc rock

[sm=red_smile.gif]
Old 08-26-2008, 08:16 AM
JQuest64

While the FS states it is rtr, anyone that owns one will likely tell you differently. IMHO, there is also a big difference bewtween upgrading and replacing things out of necessity.
Outside of what you already stated, definitely get the metal tranny gear set and eventually upgrades that will strengthen the chassis.
The FS chassis definitely has a ton of flex to it. I was chewing up gears just driving it hard on turns. Locktite all metal to metal connections.

The FS can be a real nice truck, you just need to sort out the issues and have the cash to do so.
As mine sits, it has cost me around $1,400 (including the cost of the truck) to get it to a point where most things did not break by simply driving it. It is a blast to drive. It does seem however that after about 10-12 tanks the FS engine is starting to crap out on me. It has definitely lost power, a new mill is likely on the horizon.

However, after picking up an MCD Baja, my FS has seen nothing but the bench. There is a real big difference in quality between the two, which is to be expected given the price. My mindset is also quite different when driving the two. With the FS I seem to be waiting for the inevitable breakdown, where with the MCD that has not really crossed my mind.
The MCD just drives so much finer and is far more reliable. It also cost me quite a bit more (about $2,300) , that's alot of replacement parts for the FS.

The FS is a great ride for the experience RC'er who does not mind tear downs for replacing items as the go south. However, if I had to do it all over again, I would have skipped the FS and went right for the MCD.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Marc101885

I can see what you are talking about JQuest about it not being a rtr, and i dont have a problem working on my toys i think its part of the fun. But to go along with what you were saying i do want to upgrade to the alloy parts (I like the looks and i know how much stronger a metal part can be). I saw a set of alloy parts that were the front and rear center diff mounts and the engine and gear mount, is that what you were talking about? Alloy gears, what would you reccomend gear ration for a backyard driver not really worried about topspeed, but more hill climbing, snow, and other obstacle not involving that much speed? As for the radio, i have a 2 channel 75mhz fm set (i believe its an aggressor) would that be a good upgrade, i know its no 2.4ghz system but its got to be an improvement.

What about MCD diffs, i see they have a limited slip set up, would that drop in?

What would you reccomend for a pipe for this model? I see the fs racing one, but any others suggested

I know i'm asking a lot of questions, but i want to see what im getting into? These big ones look like fun, i've been watching youtube videos and these things are awesome
Old 08-27-2008, 02:59 PM
JQuest64

ORIGINAL: Marc101885

I can see what you are talking about JQuest about it not being a rtr, and i dont have a problem working on my toys i think its part of the fun. But to go along with what you were saying i do want to upgrade to the alloy parts (I like the looks and i know how much stronger a metal part can be). I saw a set of alloy parts that were the front and rear center diff mounts and the engine and gear mount, is that what you were talking about? Alloy gears, what would you reccomend gear ration for a backyard driver not really worried about topspeed, but more hill climbing, snow, and other obstacle not involving that much speed? As for the radio, i have a 2 channel 75mhz fm set (i believe its an aggressor) would that be a good upgrade, i know its no 2.4ghz system but its got to be an improvement.
The center diff and alloy gear carrier are exactly what I was talking about. The MCD radio/servo tray also fits I have heard. As far as I know the metal gears are only available in the stock ratios for the vehicles which works very well in the MT.

The radio seems fine, just make sure and equip it with a fail safe if one is not built into the radio. The safer the better!!

What about MCD diffs, i see they have a limited slip set up, would that drop in?
I do not know about the MCD diffs, I do know that the gear pins fit so they might but I do not know for sure.

What would you reccomend for a pipe for this model? I see the fs racing one, but any others suggested
The FS pipe works nice on the truck but is not that well made. The Jetpro that they copied is a better pipe and is only about $60 more. I would save and get the Jetpro.

I know i'm asking a lot of questions, but i want to see what im getting into? These big ones look like fun, i've been watching youtube videos and these things are awesome
No problem with the questions, it is the wise thing to do. The FS is a nice truck once you go through the growing pains and the cost involved with them. Any 1/5th will need improvements, some more than others. Do your homework and if 4WD is not a requirement, might I suggest looking into the HPI Baja (or even the KM Baja which is a clone of the HPI). I would consider the Baja to be one of the best entry level rides to get into 1/5 scale with and has great aftermarket support.
Great all around performer.