Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

baja will not start.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:32 AM
selena1718

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baja will not start.

ive tried everything , has new 668 carb, prime it nothing,open the choke,doesnt even wanna try to start,getting good spark,battery fully charged ,all new gaskets,and its not flooding,checked the plug,very dry,any suggestions,im ready to go back to electric,had many problems with this.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:10 AM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: baja will not start.

Are you getting fuel in the prime bulb?Check the filter in the tank could be clogged.If you get fuel in the prime bulb..then set choke on
pull the pull start till ya hear a pop..the open choke should start..Soulds like you not getting fuel..AKASlawhammer
Old 09-23-2008, 11:29 AM
selena1718

hi slawhammer,theres definately fuel in the bulb,even with the choke full open,she doesnt want to do anything,it has plenty of spark,should i check compression,not really sure how to do that.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:54 AM
savagecommander

how old is the motor? if you've been pulling on the cord the plug should get wet eventually....... if you were gwetting fuel into the cyl the comp would have to be next to nothing for you not to even get a pop.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:15 PM
slawhammer

You would take a compression reading just like the real cars..Screw a adapter hose with gage ..then pull your pull starter for about 3 or 4 times ..at least till the needle on the gage stops moving..that's
your compression reading..Not sure what they are with new piston ring or a brand new engine is for reading..A good guess would 100 lbs...I am sure some else will chime in here
on this..I can do a research on this ..What size engine again? or CC?Hope this helps..AKASlwahammer
Old 09-23-2008, 12:50 PM
selena1718

originally started at 23cc,but it has the 28.5cc head kit,thanks
Old 09-23-2008, 01:17 PM
savagecommander

should be round about 130, i guess the race mills can get up to 160-180lbs, somebody said an old worn engine pushed 90lbs on the tester.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:28 PM
davido666

If you are pulling it alot and the plug is not wet then you have a problem with the fuel getting into the engine. You don't by chance have the fuel lines reversed. Try starting it with the air filter off. Put a little bit of gas in the carb opening, not a lot and give it a pull. If it fires then you are not getting fuel. Just something to try.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Bratch96

Needle settings?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:34 PM
turbodremz23
My Feedback: (16)

needle settings, fuel lines in correct position, no leaks around head/exhaust/carb, air filter isnt clogged with dirt, flywheel-ignition module set correctly?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:50 PM
8000ft

try giving it a shot of "starter fluid" to the air filter, if it starts and then dies it's not getting any gas. If it still doesn't start with the starter fluid, it's a plug or a dammaged/worn cylinder.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:50 AM
selena1718

hi guys,ive tried all of those suggestions,put fuel in the sparkplug hole,no leaks that i can see anywhere,needle settings are 1.5 out on both needles,ive tried changing them a bit but nothing at all,engine doesnt want to start period,not even a pop and spark plug is new and carb is new, the 28.5 cc head kit has about 6 or 7 tanks thru it,so might not be piston,it does have spark,anybody want to buy this thing lol.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:27 AM
slawhammer

Did you reset the gap for the coil?spark on your spark plug may look good..But could be weak..Is that a brand new out of package 668 carb?
If it's a carb issue ..you should be able to get it replaced..just may be a bad carb from the get go..Or your needles should both be 1 out from all the way closed..
Fuel line from tank with the filter goes to the under side of carb..the other line is return unused fuel back to tank..
Is your vent line clear..?Just some simple things...Did you say it way running with the 813 carb?and you were having problems then was why you
switched to the 688 carb...So Now if ran with 813 carb and not 668 carb then I would think it is the new carb...AKASlawhammer
Old 09-24-2008, 09:19 AM
selena1718

hi slawhammer,it is a new 668 carb,maybe when i took thehead off,because i was so frustrated,that i somehow possibly lost compression,i dont know,if my sparkplug is dry after numerouspulls,that means im not getting fuel to the engine right,could that be caused by bad compression,im still not ready to give up on this yet.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:48 AM
mbe301

Hey Selena

Just started having the same problems (stock tq baja clone) I've had the motor running once and it wsa bogging quite a bit. Since then, won't start at all. Checked through all the same things as you with no luck. Compression on the cyclinder seems ok (plug out, finger over hole) spark is good, tried with airfilter off to check carb and can see a small mist of gas when pulling (normal, right?). Plug is wet. Doesn't even sound close to starting. Not sure what else to check.

- Just noticed the bottom of my carb, if I try to start for awhile (lots of pulling), gas starts to drip from the bottom. I'll pull it and see what I find, but something must be clogged. Any advice?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:58 AM
slawhammer

Ok.. Your compression has to due with a couple things..1 piston ring.being worn 2 gasket to seal the head is damaged or can not be reused..
Did you tighten the head in a cross pattern from each other evenly..and the head is not cock eyed a little?
Did you for the heck of it try the 813 again?If you have pulled a lot your not getting fuel..could be engine not creating a vaccum
in the inside case to suck in the fuel from the carb..Simple engine should fire up..gas /air/spark ..all of you gaskets good?
Akaslawhammer
Old 09-24-2008, 02:05 PM
selena1718

hi slawhammer,i did try the 813 again,nothing,i might end up getting a new engine,really dont want to do that but might not have a choice,thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.oh im not going to get a new head and piston,just in case thats the problem,i just really dont want to deal with this anymore,hopefully a new engine will start.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:54 PM
mbe301

Do you get any leaks or droplets of gas on or under your carb when trying to start? (mine is)
Old 09-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Lars from Norway

Is the piston the right way,facing the exhaust port?Sounds like an carb issue since the plug is dry,but anyway..I was about to ask if you have checked the stopswitch if its stuck in "turn-the-engine-off"-position,but you say you have spark...
Old 09-24-2008, 06:13 PM
selena1718

no i dont get any leaks under my carb mbe 301 when trying to start it.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:18 PM
mbe301

well, don't think it's a leak anymore, just seems to flood as soon as I try to start.