Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Going For 70+MPH OR DIE TRYING..........

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Going For 70+MPH OR DIE TRYING..........

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:54 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going For 70+MPH OR DIE TRYING..........

Ok so like the topic states i finally got some video to share YES the video is dark ass hell but work with me please since the hurricane IKE knocked out 2 street lights on the strip we race at and it was REALLY REALLY DARK, the video camera spent its whole time trying to autofoucse so the video IS NOT the best thing in this world BUT ill take another video sunday afternoon on a nice clear day

i was topping out at 64 MPH pretty much all night long but since this is the only video that came out good i could only post this one, either way ill have better video sunday with the 64MPH passes, enjoy the little video i have for now..........i still got more gearing options in my house so i might be able to push 66-68 MPH asuming the competely unwinds fingers crossed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRNQpYymwyQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvvIYAa-D8c
Old 09-11-2008, 12:25 AM
clubin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Finally!!!! VIDEO OF MY 60 MPH HPI BAJA!!!

False advertising 59mph! Close but is is not 60. JK That thing does haul, what engine are you running?
Old 09-11-2008, 01:23 AM
MiamizFinest

ORIGINAL: clubin

False advertising 59mph! Close but is is not 60. JK That thing does haul, what engine are you running?

Yea sorry i just noticed that complete brain fart, i just fixed it before the huge flame war of 2008 begins

anyways the motor im running is the ZEN26 2BOLT Fully race ported by AE hobby's, machine lighten piston, turbo crank+ polish, bored crank case, full ported head,609 carb, timing modded, and lowerd head clearence, there is nothing left on this motor to moddify more its fully trixed out
Old 09-11-2008, 04:37 AM
monsterbrad

Can't beat a Zenoah motor they are awesome.
Have an old 23cc that is modded in my boat and it runs right with the new 26cc
They are awesome motors though
that thing rips can't wait to build mine here in a few weeks
Old 09-11-2008, 06:37 AM
aluminum crusher

Default RE: Finally!!!! VIDEO OF MY 59 MPH HPI BAJA!!!

What gear set are you using?
Old 09-11-2008, 07:03 AM
toez71
My Feedback: (4)

MiamizFinest, thats one quick buggy u got there, that motor likes the topend to, tell u one thing buddy who built it sure does got the rite combo together works really good, also the buggy itselfe has alot to do with it, u got that setup nice,quick buggy[8D]
Old 09-11-2008, 07:07 AM
webdr

ORIGINAL: MiamizFinest

ORIGINAL: clubin

Yea sorry i just noticed that complete brain fart, i just fixed it before the huge flame war of 2008 begins

anyways the motor im running is the ZEN26 2BOLT Fully race ported by AE hobby's, machine lighten piston, turbo crank+ polish, bored crank case, full ported head,609 carb, timing modded, and lowerd head clearence, there is nothing left on this motor to moddify more its fully trixed out
Yea, they happen alot!
Good job my friend, she's very quick.
Matt
Old 09-11-2008, 07:29 AM
GT100
My Feedback: (1)

Very nice finest. I've been laying back a while. As you know, I found another hobby thats a lot faster and without a doubt to get me to atleast 200. Anyways, nice going and see you around. BTW, the super is back up and running. Got my ESC back yesterday and of course my sportline is being worked on. Holla at cha boy.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:45 AM
MiamizFinest

Bernard that sounds awsome, is the super nitro geting any faster??? i wanna see that sucker run again, ill take a drive over to modernage in 3 weeks since this sunday i already got plans and the next sunday too

Eitherway guys here some good UPTODATE PICS of my hpi baja i just took them about an hour ago and thought i would share

I EM NOT A BELIVE THAT BOOST BOTTLE WORK, i only have mine becuase i think it looks bad ass hanging out of the side of the car here is proof im not useing it

Special thanks to OCTAVIO at A&E hobby warehouse for porting the motor in my baja his stuff is simply the best, if anyone is intersted in his work PM me he is local to MIAMI,FL

BTW im not a fan of adding aluminum weight to cars, im going to try to lean out the fat as much as i can soon, the only reson u see aluminum shock towers is becuase i was haveing isses with the stock platics ones warping at high speed and the car acting strange besides that my baja will soon be a CF dream as soon and money allows
Old 09-14-2008, 09:57 PM
MiamizFinest

Default RE: Going For 70+MPH OR DIE TRYING..........

So we whent to the hang out spot this sunday to take some video and we didnt have much look, my reciver in my baja was glitching like hell when the car got about 500 feet away i gotta call futaba and see whats up i ripped off about 10MM off the antena wire of my FASST reciver by msitake and since then its never acted the same, once i changed the reeciver and fire up the motor again the plug crapped out before i made a single pass so it wasnt my day, either way we got some video of the baja doing 62 MPH while we where still tuneing either way more speed to come soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzYj-mY9vjI

PS i changed the name of the thread
Old 09-15-2008, 01:16 PM
MiamizFinest

And so the plot thickens, i just recived my TEAM FASTEDDY ceramic bearings for the car AND motor, and guys i gotta tell u these things dont roll, THEY GLIDE smoother than butter the first thing i did grab one and flick it with my finger and i got bored waiting to see when it would finish spining, i should have picked these up from the start

today im pretty much booked but the bearsings should be on my car some times this week
Old 09-15-2008, 08:40 PM
FastEddy

The bearings are dry right now. Removing the shields will give you less resistance but expose them to the elements. Your choice on how to run them. I think I included a sample of some new grease we are messing with here at TFE. may want to put jsut a tad bit in the wheel bearings just to be safe. Again, your choice.

I hear that Brice Arnold want to get in the game as well to hit 70. The "Mad Scientist" says he has a few things up his sleeve.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:34 PM
SD2006

Pretty cool, sounds like a MotoGP 125 cc racer. It seems like the bigger the scale, the harder it is to reach high speeds. 1/10 scale cars are doing well over 100, and my buggy did 87. For 1/8 scale buggies, 70-75 seems to be about the limit. 1/5 scale looks like 65 or so is a good number.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:21 AM
tonykalil
My Feedback: (14)

Nice Baja, Miami.

Did you pick up a lot of speed with just the bearings? I have some aftermarket bearings on my FG comp, and they have a bunch of drag when cold, but they loosen up when they get hot.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:30 AM
tonykalil

By the way, I just watched the video of the 71mph Baja, and it actually went faster than that. Have the radar gun operator aim for the car about 50 feet in front of him. You will get a straighter shot. Right now, you got about 95% of your actual speed. If you want to test this, aim the gun straight out the front of your car, then take another read with the gun turned about 10 degrees to the side. It will be less. So load up, make another pass, and rename your post Going for 75+MPH or die trying....
Old 09-16-2008, 08:25 AM
FastEddy

I dont think that the bearings alone will make a huge difference.
Just like anything else, all the little things that can be done ad up to reaching the end goal.

Once you get the big chucks of speed out of the way such as gearing, areo dynamics, and engine, all the little things start to add up.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 AM
MiamizFinest

ORIGINAL: SD2006

Pretty cool, sounds like a MotoGP 125 cc racer. It seems like the bigger the scale, the harder it is to reach high speeds. 1/10 scale cars are doing well over 100, and my buggy did 87. For 1/8 scale buggies, 70-75 seems to be about the limit. 1/5 scale looks like 65 or so is a good number.

You got a few good point and the numbers you talking about are pretty much right, 1/10 is easy to hit 100 MPH and weve bein doing it for over 5 years before the worlds fastest RC thing and before wolfpack radicals built the 101 MPH hpi super nitro this is my 100+ MPH 1/10 scale at the moment it does 95 MPH because of the motor but i got something else for it in my tool box take a good look at the gearing

My mini jammin crt.5 has bein clocked 67 MPH and already got a better motor for my speed

My 105 MPH brushless tc4 parkinglot basher

And this is my Nitro 80+ MPH losi 8ight buggy

This is the only way to get a buggy past 65 MPH with a custom bracket useing other gears

i tought id post this to give people kind of a backround check on the other stuff ive done since i never really hang around the 5TH section of RCU i still have alot of other projects but for now thats what ill post, about the radar gone and the 10 degrees it doesnt really make a diffrence, weve used 3 radar guns AND a GPS at the same time and got all the readings with in 1 or 2 MPH so the way we takeing the video is on cue

I know i dont have the fame of some other the other guys in this whole 70 MPH quest but i got a few projects under my belt and think 70 MPH is well within my grasp
Old 09-16-2008, 02:32 PM
tonykalil

Hey Miami, the next time you have two guns at the same time like in the vid, try angling ONE of them. You will see the difference, I promise. The only way I found this was holding two guns at the same time in one hand, and a camera in the other. I could not figure out why they were off 6 mph. It turned out the one gun was angled about 10 degrees because they were held together. I then held each gun in each hand, so they were pointed straight, and they were both dead on.

It is simple trigonometry. The angle of the gun represents the hypotenuse of a right triangle. If you held the gun to the side as the car passed, it would not register a speed, because the car may be going 70mph, but its closing speed to the gun is zero. As you rotate the gun to the path of the car, you start to capture the speed until ultimately, you are directly in front of it, getting 100% of the closing speed value. They teach this to Police, so they can get the highest reading. That is why they always try to get the straightest shot on you. Otherwise, they would hide behind a blind bush or bridge, and just pop you from the side.

One last point. When Dale Earnhardt hit the wall, his car was going about 190, but because of the trajectory he was on, his closing speed to the wall was only about 39MPH. Same principal, but the math is backwards. If he would have hit the wall dead on, he would have hit it at 100% of his closing speed. The simplest test is the gun in the car trick. Trust me on this one. You'll get better numbers.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Lars from Norway

Make some bench or similar so you can lay yourself on it and drive the car underThen you will get the straight-on-the-speedgun-shot
Old 09-16-2008, 04:47 PM
tonykalil

I was thinking more like a ramp!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:34 PM
SD2006

I like the gears on your 8ight, definitely not for offroad. Are those Ofna foams? How well do they hold up?
Old 09-16-2008, 06:40 PM
SD2006

ORIGINAL: tonykalil

Hey Miami, the next time you have two guns at the same time like in the vid, try angling ONE of them. You will see the difference, I promise. The only way I found this was holding two guns at the same time in one hand, and a camera in the other. I could not figure out why they were off 6 mph. It turned out the one gun was angled about 10 degrees because they were held together. I then held each gun in each hand, so they were pointed straight, and they were both dead on.
10 degrees would only give you an error of ~1.5% right? And if a 1.5% error caused the gun to read 6 MPH slow, then your car was going 400 MPH? Am I screwing up the math?
Old 09-17-2008, 03:09 AM
tonykalil

Hello SD2006,

Your math is just a little off. Looking at the video again, it looks like the gun is about 12-15 degrees to the side. He is getting the top speed reading when the car is less than 20 feet in front of him. At 15 degrees, you are only getting about 95% of your total speed. So dividing 71 by .95 gives you 74.73, or 75mph. At 12 degree, you are about 97% accurate, but that still gives you 73.19.

Here is some info from Stalker

Q - What is Cosine Error?

A - The most common mistake made with all radars is trying to clock targets at angles. All radars should clock objects moving directly at or away from the radar. Clocking at an angle with a stationary radar will result in angle error, and the radar will display a speed that is LOWER than the actual speed. In order to get accurate readings, the radar must be placed in the line of travel of the target. At slight angles, the error will be very small, however at larger angles, the error will be substantial. If you know the angle, you can calculate the actual speed by taking the radar reading and dividing by the cosine of the angle. For example: if your angle is 30 degrees and the radar reads 129.9 mph. Take 129.9 and divide by the cosine of 30 degrees (0.866) to get a true speed of 150.0 mph.

They also train the cops to bust you for maximum speed. Here is a page from their training:

Cosine Error
Geometry
Microwave and Laser Radars
Chapter 4.1
Setup
Overpass
Hills / Curves
Cosine Error
Traffic radars measure the relative speed a target is approaching (or receding) the radar. If a target is traveling directly (collision course) at the radar, the relative speed is actual target speed. If the target is not traveling directly toward (or away) the radar but slightly off to avoid a collision, the relative speed with respect to the radar is slightly lower than target speed. The phenomenon is called the Cosine Effect because the measured speed is directly related to the cosine of the angle (alpha) between the radar and target direction of travel (see figure below).

Setput
Figure 4.1-1 Cosine Effect Setup

The cosine effect angle (alpha) is the angle between the radar and the target direction of travel. Target range from radar and radar distance off the road (really the distance between radar and the point the target would be closest to radar if target continues in same direction) determine the cosine effect angle. Note that the road direction and antenna direction (direction antenna pointed) are completely irrelevant, only the angle (alpha) matters (radar stationary).
Antenna direction (alignment to patrol car direction) is important in moving mode radar. A mis-aligned antenna measures target speed high if the misalignment is great enough, the target is approaching the moving radar, and the target is traveling slower than the radar (chapter 4.3 Cosine Effect on Moving Radar).

As long as the angle (alpha) remains relatively small, the error (cosine of alpha) is tolerable. The larger the angle, the larger the error and the lower the displayed (relative) speed. On a straight section of road, radar distance from the road and the range of the target determine the angle. The greater the distance the radar is off the road and/or the closer the target, the larger the angle (and error). When the target is even with the radar (alpha equals 90 degrees) the target speed, with respect (relative) to the radar, is zero.

The Cosine Effect applies to both microwave radars and laser radars (ladars) as well as to targets traveling in any direction (on-coming or going traffic at any angle). Most traffic radars do not account for the Cosine Effect; across the road microwave radars (such as photo radars) are an exception. These systems point the beam at a known fixed angle across the road and compensate the measured target speed for the Cosine Effect.

Overpass
Figure 4.1-2
Cosine Effect from an Overpass
The radar distance from (off) the road is the line-of-sight distance from the radar to the road (target path). If the radar is on an overpass (shooting cars running under the overpass) or hill for example, the radar distance from the road is the distance from the radar position to the road (target path) as in the side figure. In the figure the traffic is traveling directly away or into the page.

In the side figure, x represents the horizontal distance and y represents the vertical distance from the road to the radar. The line-of-sight distance is d. If either the horizontal or vertical component is zero, the equations reduce to that shown in figure 4.1-1 where d = y (if x = 0), or d = x (if y = 0). When applying the equations, all distances must use the same unit dimensions (feet, meters, etc.).

When calculating the angle (alpha) using the inverse tangent function (arctan), the unit dimension of the calculated angle is radians (rad), not degrees. Pi (3.14159...) radians equals 180 degrees; one radian approximately equals 57.3 degrees. Degrees = radians x (180/pi).

Hills or Curves
On hills or curves target direction (with respect to radar) is changing, this causes the Cosine Effect angle (alpha) to change. A changing Cosine Effect angle results in measured target speed changing, the faster the angle changes the faster measured target speed changes (acceleration or deceleration component). If measured speed changes too fast the radar misses (does not display) target speed.

Figure 4.1-3 Cosine Effect Due to Hills / Curves

Note the above figures illustrates targets on a hill (side view), or a curved road (top view). Alpha is the Cosine Effect angle, d is radar (closest) distance from target path. The steeper the hill or the tighter the curve the greater the angle alpha, and the greater the measured speed error and the greater the acceleration component. Moving radar introduces another component that generally increases the target acceleration component for approaching or receding targets, and decreases for same-lane targets.

Also see;
chapter 4.5 Targets on a Curve
chapter 5.4 Operational problems / Target Acceleration

Cosine Error
The below figure is a graphical representation of the Cosine Effect for measured speed, as a percentage of true speed versus angle (alpha) between radar and target the larger the angle the larger the error and the lower the measured target speed. For example at angles of only a few degrees the measured speed is 99 to 100 percent of actual; at an angle of 60 degrees the measured speed is half (50 percent) the actual target speed.

Figure 4.1-4 Angle vs Measured Speed (percent of actual speed)

Its a boring read, but it gives you the basics. If you are going for TOP SPEED, get in front of it. When I radar with my buddy, we get our reading by standing in front of it with the gun handle touching the ground. If you are getting a perfectly straight shot from 100 feet away, you have plenty of time to get out of the way.

Miami, your Baja did 75.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:14 AM
da mad maori

If you are going for TOP SPEED, get in front of it.
get in front of a baja doin 70mph!!!!!!!!! no thanks LOL

the baja5b seems to be the only one (that ive read about or seen) thats hasnt cracked the 70mph yet.....
ive seen an fg do it.... my MCD rally does it........

they all take the same engines so i guess it'll come down to gearing and pipe combo??????

Old 09-17-2008, 06:28 AM
SD2006

ORIGINAL: tonykalil

Hello SD2006,

Your math is just a little off. Looking at the video again, it looks like the gun is about 12-15 degrees to the side. He is getting the top speed reading when the car is less than 20 feet in front of him. At 15 degrees, you are only getting about 95% of your total speed. So dividing 71 by .95 gives you 74.73, or 75mph. At 12 degree, you are about 97% accurate, but that still gives you 73.19.
I'm pretty comfortable with trig and I get the same % errors you do, but the 6 MPH error you mentioned in a previous post wouldn't be caused by Cosine error unless your car was going insanely fast or your gun angle was a lot more than 10 degrees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.