Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

My baja5b DDM pipe mod .Now Completed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

My baja5b DDM pipe mod .Now Completed

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 03:21 AM
splcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My baja5b DDM pipe mod .Now Completed

today i cut both of my ddm pipes , the rear dom and the sidemount to make something that would appeal to me , i cut off the silencer from the sidemount and threw it out lol and cut half off the rear ddm pipe and tig welded it to the sidemount pipe using stainless steel rods , i polished it up and it looks very good just like as if the whole thing had been chromed . The weld will not rust since i used stainless steel tig welding rods .

i havnt mounted it yet but it will be mounted christmas eve and i will give it a test run to see how she sounds and goes and show the final pics of how it all looks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41852.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1094259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47762.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1094260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62518.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1094261  
Old 12-22-2008, 05:29 AM
hellya

Default RE: My baja5b DDM pipe mod in progress

Are you going to mount that on your baja or ??? did you extend the chamber??
Old 12-22-2008, 05:36 AM
splcrazy

yes its going on one of my 5b's , what do you mean by extending the chamber ? i just cut off the silencer and welded the other half from the rearmount pipe onto the sidemount so its is a little bit longer but not by much, the rest of the sidemount pipe has not been changed.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:50 AM
SAVAGEJIM

That looks very nice, even with the weld, your work look seamless. I would not have noticed the weld if you would not have said where you cut off the old part and welded on the new.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:02 PM
mradlin

Looks really good. Nice welding.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:15 AM
splcrazy

Default RE: My baja5b DDM pipe mod .Now Completed

well here it is , at first i was sceptical if this was going to perform at all but the good news is that it performs unbeliveable well it performs a zillion times better than the massive TGN pipe that i was using on it . the bacpressure is very tight, the take off launches are like a drag car it wants to bunny hop and pop wheelies in straight lines lol , the straight line top end speed is extremely fast tight and consistant , if it had a 2 speed it would be an absolute ripper cos once this thing hits maximum speed it feels like it just wants to keep on going it just keeps pulling very hard . the sound is pretty good too its not too loud , if i had to describe its loudness then if you have heard what the DDM rear pipe is like then its a little quieter than that .this pipe now has like a kinda deep growly sound and the topend speed sound is very good , the exhaust sound in its tone is very consistant the note doesnt break up at high speed at all .

i also ported the exhaust inlet where you bolt it to the head cos it had a lip so now thats out of the way

one problem is that the exhaust outlet i didnt notice the angle when i done it so its spraying some exhaust oil on the front wheel but its nothing to worry about , ill just redo it when i get back to work .

last of all if you have the money to buy both pipes and destroy one to build the one i did , go for it because i just love this thing now and i dont think ill be putting back the TGN pipe back on ever again ,and a note to DDM i reackon they should really consider making a pipe like this , i dont know what they were thinking when they put that silencer on, it just robs the power that it was making
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71576.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	1095599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40688.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1095600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28258.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1095601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17431.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1095602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60483.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1095603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29331.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1095604  
Old 12-24-2008, 05:55 AM
hellya

Looks like a nice job....you should make a video most of us in the USA got snow....must be nice to run in the sun
Old 12-24-2008, 07:29 AM
splcrazy

yep i need to work out how to upload vid , its only fun in the sun when the sun begins to die down, man the sun here is intense i mainly take it out for a spin in the evening,its nice when the air temp is really warm and the sun going down and you whizzing the baja5b up and down the street smoking a big cigar .

I found steel elbow for the exhaust outlet so ill try and modify it so that i can just wedge it on hard into position
Old 12-24-2008, 07:48 AM
hellya

once the videos on your computer...go to www.youtube.com ....make an account its free then upload your video[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-24-2008, 08:10 AM
str8jailbird

So how does it compare to the DDM rear in performance???? Looks nice, wish I had the skills to weld and fabricate. My one buddy does but he is a little busy at the moment building a custom chopper so he wouldn't have time. He is actually the guy who got me back into RC's after a long time away.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:47 PM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: str8jailbird

So how does it compare to the DDM rear in performance???? Looks nice, wish I had the skills to weld and fabricate. My one buddy does but he is a little busy at the moment building a custom chopper so he wouldn't have time. He is actually the guy who got me back into RC's after a long time away.
well this pipe now compared to the rear ddm pipe ihave to say this pipe destroys that DDM rear pipe , the rear pipe was good but it lost its ability at top speed , the rear ddm pipe wasnt able to keep its back pressure at top speed to me it felt like it was gonna bog . DDM should redesign their rear mount pipe because that straight long pipe that bolts to the cylinder head doesnt help it at all for performance , they should change the straight pipe and put in a loop or elbow or something , and then it would be really powerfull

now with my pipe mod its really good ddm made an excellent sidemount pipe with a mean elbow behind the cylinder head and thats where it gets its extreme power exhaust extraction , but that bend is really crap when you have to bolt it to the head man i was braking a real sweat to bolt the bugger up to the head and heaven forbid if you lose or destroy the head bolts beause its gotta be thier ddm special machined bolts
Old 12-27-2008, 11:02 PM
racer/flyer
My Feedback: (1)

I'm glad it worked out for you, and it looks much better than stock side-mount pipe. Definitely a costly modification, but your having fun with it.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:46 AM
str8jailbird

WOW, Must be sick fast. My DDM rear has more than enough at WOT for where I run it. I am actually hesitant to mount up the ESP 30.5 big bore kit now [>:] because of where I run it. I have to guess and say I am pushing high 40's as it is in my SS and for offroad that's smokin. I am curious to see when TGN or Brice get that 2 speed out for market. I just can't imagine one of these cruising at 55-65 mph thru grass. Congrats on your mod, NICE WORK! One of the ol'timers at work is curious about my RC's and when he saw the Baja he asked if I stole the pipe off of a dirt bike! I did get to give it a beastly run on Christmas day at my brother's. The new DDM rear with the Hostile MX Knobbies shredded his grass, Man do those handle nice! Also installed the HBZ rear and the Lunatik no melt. Very antsy about that ESP kit but I can't stop. modding these RC's is like a drug addiction,lol[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 12-29-2008, 05:10 AM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: str8jailbird

WOW, Must be sick fast. My DDM rear has more than enough at WOT for where I run it. I am actually hesitant to mount up the ESP 30.5 big bore kit now [>:] because of where I run it. I have to guess and say I am pushing high 40's as it is in my SS and for offroad that's smokin. I am curious to see when TGN or Brice get that 2 speed out for market. I just can't imagine one of these cruising at 55-65 mph thru grass. Congrats on your mod, NICE WORK! One of the ol'timers at work is curious about my RC's and when he saw the Baja he asked if I stole the pipe off of a dirt bike! I did get to give it a beastly run on Christmas day at my brother's. The new DDM rear with the Hostile MX Knobbies shredded his grass, Man do those handle nice! Also installed the HBZ rear and the Lunatik no melt. Very antsy about that ESP kit but I can't stop. modding these RC's is like a drug addiction,lol[sm=drowning.gif]
i run the esp raceported 36mm kit on my other baja that has the same TS induction crankcase and crank setup , and its feels slow as it winds up and off the start line then goes ballistic as it hits top range revs , it definatley winds out harder than my red baja , my red baja is running a 35mm raceported head by me but my red baja is alot faster cos it has less alloy mods than my first baja .

a word of advice if you want your baja to go fast forget all the shiny alloy mods , i did that to my first baja and it cost a fortune and it is heavy as a pig but has the power still to move a horse lol because of the engine mods i done , my red baja is built for straight line speed drag on tarmac but i still need to get some hostile slicks all around , if youve ever watched how mazda rotary drag racing cars go down the 1/4 mile drag strip bunny hopping off the start line and ripping wheelies that is what mine is like and i still want to make some weight saving methods on it to push it even further , i might get a esp 36mm kit for the red baja but i think ill buy the standard esp kit that is not ported and ill port it myself
Old 12-29-2008, 07:05 AM
str8jailbird

It's safe to say that I am not going to turn mine into a PIG. The only steel and aluminum are on the engine and exhaust save for the HBZ rear bumper. I myself am not a big fan of ally parts. the extra weight means you need extra strength and ends up being a catch22. Keep beefing it up to stop breakages which lead to more breakages, before you know it the car weighs in at over 35 lbs, runs a flat 60 mph and the brakes won't stop it so it runs right thru the neighbor's garge door when you can't stop (just a little exageration). In reality shaving a little off of the car actually makes it handle better and depending on the lightened parts (CF VS Nylon) can actually take a harder beating due to the overall lighter weight. OH yes indeedy you will be paying more for the CF without a doubt!
Old 12-29-2008, 08:54 AM
SAVAGEJIM

LOL, then mine too is also a pig! OINK OINK!

As for teh allow suspension arms, I think it might be best to use teh plastic for teh lower arms and it might be okay to keep the upper arms alum. I guess this because the lower arms would get beat up the most from rocks and stuff.

I havent tried this, so I doe not even know if there are geometric problems by going plastic lower and keeping teh alum upper.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:22 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I just thought of something. Would your modified pipe fit into a 5T or will the side guard extensions get in the way?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:20 AM
splcrazy

i havnt got a 5T but i think it should still fit on with mod work , by cutting the tubes at angles you can curve the pipe so it doesnt touch the side plastic guards of the 5T , you see how they make intercooler pipes on turbo cars ? they cant bend such a large pipe like that or they can but it ends up looking crap cos the mandrel bender tightens and stretches the material so they cut it in angled sections and then weld it all up , the same can be done for our exhaust pipes on our rc baja's