Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New Baja owner, question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Zman39
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Baja owner, question

I just got my 2.0 version 5B today, very nice!!

I have a question about the airfilter. It no doubt will filter, its huge!!! Question is; does this airfilter limit the performance any and if so, can someone recommend a good aftermarket replacement?

Thanks
Z
Old 04-09-2009, 07:43 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: New Baja owner, question

There are the paper type filters, and those will flow more air easily, and thus improve prformance by improving volumetric efficiency as well as reduce work loss by the work required to pump air through the foam.

As for teh actual numbers? I personally do not know just how many tenths of BHP you will actually gain. You will gain some, but dot expect to get like a 5% increase in BHP.

I personally prefer the foam over paper filters; the foam will stop alot more before becoming saturated with junk where the paper will become saturated much more quickly and require replacement alot sooner.

In the end, I do not think replaceing the foam with a paper filter will give you a significant power increase.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:53 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

What is more important protecting the engine or a LITTLE more performance? I personally like the protection of the stock filter as I like the dirt on the outside of my engine and not inside LOL.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:14 PM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Zman39

I just got my 2.0 version 5B today, very nice!!

I have a question about the airfilter. It no doubt will filter, its huge!!! Question is; does this airfilter limit the performance any and if so, can someone recommend a good aftermarket replacement?

Thanks
Z
Yes stick with the stock filter it's the best for protecting your engine ...power loss do not worry about that you will not notice. And if your really serious about power loss just put in a race ported or reed ported motor for about 400.00 to 700.00 even more. I would stick with the stock motor and play around with the gears like 57/18, 56/18,55/18,55/19,54/20 for more speed and 57/16, or 58/16 for torque Enjoy
Old 04-10-2009, 12:49 AM
victory-rc

That motors a good motor and goes for about $250,like they said.... use the stock foams with oil,it works very well
Old 04-10-2009, 12:58 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock Baja filter is one of the better ones out there.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:05 AM
savagecommander

you gain .2hp running no airfilter- the paper ones have been known to allow dirt in. stick with the stock one- the most you'll need is an outerwear
Old 04-10-2009, 02:50 AM
Zman39

Thanks all for the quick responses. Much appreciated!
Old 04-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Ballistic Lunacy
Banned

Only real improvement you need to make is getting an Outerwear for the stock filter, beyond that is wasting your money.

And stay well well away from K&N style filters if your offroading or in dusty conditions. If your Baja is just going to be a street machine then fine.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:08 AM
monsterbrad

I always oil the pre filter a bit also.
Never hurts to have more protection.
Also remember these engines operate heavily on air intake so keep the filter clean at all times.
Outer Wears are awesome get one for the pull start right off the get go and keep most of the junk out of the fan.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:12 AM
victory-rc

Your gunna love that 2.0 baja !
Old 04-11-2009, 11:12 AM
46u

All so getting the best insurance you can get for your Baja is a kill switch.
http://www.rckillswitch.com/index.html
Old 04-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Ballistic Lunacy
Banned

ORIGINAL: victory-rc

Your gunna love that 2.0 baja !
meh, its more like 1.5...
Old 04-11-2009, 08:10 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Or maybe 5b.5? Or why not use the Mark designators, like Mark2, Mark3, Mark4, etc. I guess the next Gen Baja would be called 5C? LOL

Actually, I would interested in knowing what HPI has up their sleeve of 5B 3.0; they are always allowing rumors to seep out; maybe it might be all market strategy.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:56 PM
victory-rc

Wow,no nice words for the 2. baja .... thats a nice buggy, lots of aftermarket upgrades out of the box.

clutch,larger muffler,adjustable shocks,no purple ! ...alloy differential ...slick new bodies.

Your gunna love the 2.0 baja ...[8D]
Old 04-11-2009, 10:22 PM
splcrazy

yeah but if your going to run the baja on the street ONLY can you put one of those k&n style airfilters on i dont think it can hurt the engine , maybe overheat it the engine cos of more free revs but im not sure . HOW much different is the baja5b 2 ?
Old 04-11-2009, 10:35 PM
victory-rc

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

yeah but if your going to run the baja on the street ONLY can you put one of those k&n style airfilters on i dont think it can hurt the engine , maybe overheat it the engine cos of more free revs but im not sure . HOW much different is the baja5b 2 ?

"clutch,larger muffler,adjustable shocks,no purple ! ...alloy differential ...slick new bodies. "
Old 04-12-2009, 04:18 AM
Ballistic Lunacy
Banned

HOW much different is the baja5b 2 ?
lol not enough to call it a sequal imo.

The alloy diff is really a fix for the defective plastic diff in the first version, lifted straight off the Baja SS;
The Baja was available in 1 of 3 random colours before;
The larger muffler is nothing to writing home about, sure its better but not by much - likely its just what the engine manufacturer happens to be be fitting as standard;
Torx engine bolts - are you kidding me? They bothered to name that as an 'extra' - again probably just standard from the engine maker;
VVC/HD Shocks - again lifted straight off the SS to replace the defective hyper adjusts that never quite worked.

Its no Baja 2 but its definatly an improvement. For the Baja's true successor i'd like to see an easy access diff design like they have on the Savage X so the diff can be easily lifted out for maintence which dosn't involve a day taking its rear end apart.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:48 AM
Zman39

FWIW,

I only called it version 2.0 because that is what they called it. Version 2 version 1 version 4, I dont care. Whatever version I got, it is a blast to drive. The new engine is putting out more power, not a great amount over stock one but it is noticeable at track when up against the "other" version. As well as how well the engine is doing is worth it by itself IMO.

Now lests go bajaing

Z
Old 04-12-2009, 04:51 AM
victory-rc

Wow,tuff crowd. Lol. All those together are good enogh for a tag of 2.0 I think the outcome is nice. I don't think it will be long before they kill the first version. Lol, yea I saw the torx bolts nice but not a big enough thing to care about. Now that's a great idea about a quick change gears,don't know how it would work ,the gearbox is way in there,great idea thou,drop a PM to GH. ... That's a great idea.
ORIGINAL: Ballistic Lunacy

HOW much different is the baja5b 2 ?
lol not enough to call it a sequal imo.

The alloy diff is really a fix for the defective plastic diff in the first version, lifted straight off the Baja SS;
The Baja was available in 1 of 3 random colours before;
The larger muffler is hardly worth wiring home about, sure its better but not by much - likely its just what the engine manufacturer happens to be be fitting as standard;
Torx engine bolts - are you kidding me? They bothered to name that as an 'extra' - again probably just standard from the engine maker;
VVC/HD Shocks - again lifted straight off the SS to replace the defective hyper adjusts that never quite worked.

Its no Baja 2 but its definatly an improvement. For the Baja's true successor i'd like to see an easy access diff design like they have on the Savage X so the diff can be easily lifted out for maintence which dosn't involve a day taking its rear end apart.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:52 AM
splcrazy

taking out the rear end is a bit of work if its your first time , ive done it twice already , you get faster taking these things apart with experience. So at last sounds like they are putting in alloy complete diffs in these baja's, im not really worried about the shocks or the bolts , but a stronger diff is what pleases me and its a nice diff to have already in there for when you mod the engine for more power , what they should develop and make as standard in their next versions is include an alloy gearbox , GH make the alloy gearbox and i have to say it helps alot
Old 04-12-2009, 09:17 AM
victory-rc

Yes I have the gh gearbox and the hpi alloy diff,add the bearing for the shaft that's missing also. A quick change would be a hit I think.start with a gh case and have a window plate that's removeable. Boy that would be a sellout.

taking out the rear end is a bit of work if its your first time , ive done it twice already , you get faster taking these things apart with experience. So at last sounds like they are putting in alloy complete diffs in these baja's, im not really worried about the shocks or the bolts , but a stronger diff is what pleases me and its a nice diff to have already in there for when you mod the engine for more power , what they should develop and make as standard in their next versions is include an alloy gearbox , GH make the alloy gearbox and i have to say it helps alot
Old 04-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Ballistic Lunacy
Banned

The initial savage diffgear box design was much the same way as the Baja's, right in there and no easy way to get at it without taking the entire chassis apart. The gearbox would have to be completely redesigned to encorporate the bulkheads and hinge pin shaft holes, basically the back end would need to be able to be unbolted and pulled off and then the diff assembley pulled out. It would be alot of work for anyone looking to take it on.

Not the best pic but you get the idea.

Problem is the gearbox if it is integrated with the bulkhead and hinge pins will need to be really tough ridgid to prevent flexing from throwing the gear mesh, alloy would be best but it could be done if the plastic was glass re-enforced.

Anyway sorry for the de-rail Zman, i wasn't aiming the whole 2.0/1.5 thing at you btw, its just what I think of the way HPI have gone with the naming for this years Baja.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:02 PM
46u

I own both a Savage and a Baja 5B SS. My Savage before many modifications up grades for racing was the older style with out the quick diff access. Getting the 5B diff housing out is MUCH, MUCH easier then it was on the original Savage.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Ballistic Lunacy
Banned

Sure its easy, its just time consuming - I'd rather a system that means I spend more time playing then carrying out maintence. A system that allows easy access to do little things like re-greasing gears not just pulling the diff for an oil change. I know racers would really like that latter option so they can tune their diff oils more easily at the track side. I can honesly say I was suprised when HPI initially released the Baja that they didn't go with a quick access system like the Savage X.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.