Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Best 1st large scale?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:33 PM
traxxaspede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 1st large scale?

I recently put of a thread saying i might be getting a Baja 5B SS kit sometime in the summer. But I was thinking, there not really any room for front brakes, and it's not so much a racer. I may be wrong, but im thinking it's not right for me. Now that I know of more brands (FG, MCD, Elcon...) I'm wondering if i should change my choice. I do have some kit building experience, and I will only buy a kit. Im really looking for good parts supper in the US, durability, be able to add lots of option parts, like extra servos, brakes, light and such, but not really have any options that are 'required' for it to work good. and most importantly is the price. I dont know what ill be able to get, But I would prefer it to be about in the 100-200 dollar range of the SS kit, so probably $1000 max. maybe less since I would still need servos, gas and a new radio. It also seems like FG/MCD are the most popular here...
Old 05-08-2009, 10:40 PM
raptor 8

Default RE: Best 1st large scale?

They all have some fault's one way or another, buy what you want, and can afford. You are going to get so many varying answers to this. The fifth scale is not a CHEAP hobby. But it sure is fun.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:42 PM
kryptonite5b
My Feedback: (-2)

the baja is an excellant choice. it is set up for racing!! the suspension will really outperform the fg's and many others in my book. after markit is unlimited. anything you want or could possibly think of is here. and stock parts can easly be ordered at any hobbyshop that sells hpi stuff. and they are inexpensive. when getting in to the fg's and others like that ordering parts is very expensive, and not many shops to chose from. AND YES. you can easly run cable brakes up front. integy makes a basic set up for $80 as long as you change out the cables. they fit right on, no modding. their are also a few other companes that make good brake systems as well as hydro's. for more info check out other forums as well.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:02 AM
traxxaspede

ok thanks. I guess i just needed reassurance that the baja would be a good choice. Ive heard lots of bad things about integy, but are their brakes ok? i think it's just their aluminum products that are low quality aluminum, is that right?
Old 05-09-2009, 01:55 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd recommend the HPI Baja to any first timer. Durable, performs great, tons of hop ups and easy to find parts.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:33 AM
SAVAGEJIM

+1 on the HPI Baja.

I personally recommend the 5B SS kit: 26cc engine, upgraded exhaust over the stock can, and other nice upgrades over the plain old 5B. Though the 5B SS kit does not have a radio, you can use youe existing radio set: all you need to do is get an RX, batt, and servos to get the SS kit going.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Croozer
My Feedback: (1)

I got started with a FG Monster beetle and it gave me ZERO problems and tons of fun, there are a lot of new more affordable stuff out there now but for a starter I would go with:

HPI Baja 5T (I like the trophy truck style).

Redcat Rampage MT or TT (if you want 4WD).

And I always recommend any of the FG Monsters!
Old 05-09-2009, 05:44 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I started in 1/5 scale with a HPI 5B SS and have no regrets. There are numerous front brake kits for them and if you want a set with out any hassles and have to modify do not get crappy integy!!!
Old 05-09-2009, 07:46 PM
traxxaspede

I do need a new radio because I don't want to drive a $900+ car on a Traxxas 2 channel AM radio that I already use for 2 other cars... I don't think I'll get a dx3 because it only has 4 model memory, so probably a Futaba or Airtronics.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:39 PM
DarkFire989

The 3PM i heard is a great radio for a little under 200. Or spend the extra cash and get a 3PKS
Old 05-09-2009, 09:35 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

i think fg /mcd parts are more expensive here in the U.S. thats what info i gathered when i was searching on which one to buy..
i wish theres a track here that runs baja but theres none.i think the baja can be raceable,i never had any 5th scale except 5t and 5b and i like both..although i wanna try 4wd redcats someday.dont worry about parts or hopups ,worry about on what u buy next coz theres hop ups for the bajas and other 5th scales out every week.. [X(] ..i thot it was gonna be a problem at first too but now my problem is spending hundreds almost weekly on hop ups..
Old 05-09-2009, 11:21 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

All so HPI Baja parts are easier to find then many others. Yes you need a good 2.4GHz radio and a PB Kill Switch. I will not run my HEAVY 1/5 scale with out one. Best insurance you can have.

One day I hope to have a 4 wheel drive 1/5 buggy but I want a Thunderbolt 2.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Croozer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: 46u

All so HPI Baja parts are easier to find then many others.
HPI are definitely easier to find for me, when I need parts for my other trucks I gotta mail order, with the HPI I just run down to the local hobby shop.

That is a big advantage.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:42 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: DarkFire989

The 3PM i heard is a great radio for a little under 200. Or spend the extra cash and get a 3PKS
+1 on the Futaba 3PM FAAST!
Though I too would heavily prefer the 3PKS over the 3PM, (the race grade features, especially brake mixing are great for front-rear brake bias in our gasses), the 3PM is a great and very reliable radio. Futaba recommends you send them in each year to have them recalibrated and checked upon, but I know a couple of guys who have NEVER sent in their 3PM sets and they work as good as the day they took them out of the box.
As a matter of fact, I have 2 old school 3PK radio sets, both converted with FASST modules, one I bought brand new, another I bought used. I sent in the used one to have the screen replaced, but that was it, Both of these radios are spot on, the never had the annual recalibration done. And since the 3PKS and even the 4PK are upgrades over the plain ole' 3PK, those radios I am very sure are performing flawlessly.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:27 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

I would love to get my hands on a HPI Baja 5T