Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

New to gas need some help/advice.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New to gas need some help/advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:50 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to gas need some help/advice.

I admit it, I am thinking about going to gas but with a clone. I am looking at a king motors clone with a 23cc motor form a seller in new york, he also has some 5t imitators. His selling rep looks good 99%. I looked at one off of heat motors. And I looked at a brand called XRC, they could be had very cheap. What is the typical going rate of a decent clone. I have also been reading the clone forums and it seems some guys have a bit of trouble with their 23cc engines.

I am getting tired of glow plugs and tuning and glow heaters.

Oh how do the bajas run in the snow and winter time.

Thanks for any help
Old 09-26-2009, 08:55 AM
savagecommander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to gas need some help/advice.

donno much about the clones, but you can pick up a used 1/5th scale for between $500-$800 if you look. mine runs great in the snow.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:14 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd be better of buying a used name brand, especially as a beginner. Even new name brand 1/5 scale RCs are becoming really cheap. Basically, its well worth it to shell out the cash for a better vehicle, the quality and parts support is vastly superior.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:05 AM
borley1863

If you do go for a clone most people go for the KM, i haven`t got the KM i have a clone i bought 2nd hand but it was so upgraded it`s neither a clone or a real baja lol
I have no idea how these go in the snow but have seen these in the sand so i would try some sand paddles and it should go like a rocket.
Guy
Old 09-26-2009, 10:31 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

If you buy new name brand you have a warranty and GREAT support. Never owned a clone but have been running HPI vehicles for around 10 years and they have GREAT support.

True story I bought some big bore shocks for my race Savage (Yes I do have a 5b SS as well as 4 other HPI vehicles) and one of the caps was split out of the package. They did not have the part in stock so they sent me a whole $90 shock kit. This is just one of my great experiences with HPI service I have had. I have not had to call them a lot but over the past 10 years 5 or 6 times and each time they went above and beyond the call of duty.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:47 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I agree with what the others above me are saying. By buying a used real HPI Baja is a great way for any beginner to get into gassers.
And believe it or not, with diligence and even smart bidding in the auctions, you can score a real HPI 5B for $400-500! (A fellow RCU member did jut that, and if I remember, correctly, he also scored 2 electric trucks to be sent to him too! All for about $400!)

Even if the used RC has busted A-arms, bumper, or some worn bearings (parts that typically wear out from use), they are surprisingly very easy to replace and you could even replace those parts with aftermarket stuff (like ceramic bearings for example) since many users upgrade those anyway.

Bottom line is you can still get the real deal RC for as much (or cheaper) as the clone. And if you are willing to spend a little more for a used real HPI Baja RC, you can search for one that the original owner has put upgrades on.