Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

VRC BigBore Pipe Users

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:46 PM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VRC BigBore Pipe Users

I got my VRC bigbore pipe in yesterday, finally got around to putting it on today. When I went to put it on I found that the bend in the header is at too sharp an angle to use the included bolts to bolt the header to the engine. I rustled up a shorter bolt that was able to make it through the hole in the clutch side of the header. I was able to hand tighten both bolts but was unable to tighten that shorter bolt any more because the bend in the header made getting at the bolt with any allen wrench impossible.

So here are my questions:

#1 Is this a common problem with the bigbore pipes? My previous pipe was the other vrc pipe designed for 26cc engines, and that one was pretty snug as well, but I was able to tighten everything down just fine.

#2 Should I try and get a replacement header, or should I use my other vrc header? Does it defeat the purpose of having the bigbore pipe if you're not using the bigbore header?

#3 Did anybody else not get the spring with their pipe order? (this one I'm not so concerned about)
Old 04-29-2010, 07:26 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: VRC BigBore Pipe Users

Throw the bolts away!!!
Use studs.. Much better and the stay tight.
I use nylon nuts on mine and never worry about them.
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.7222/.f

Old 04-29-2010, 10:05 PM
cheezer1222

The fact that I'm using bolts is not really the issue. The problem is that the bend in the pipe prevents the use of a normal size bolt (or stud). The stud might solve the tightening issue, but I wouldn't be able to actually get the stud into the hole so that I can tighten it.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:49 PM
teamchrome

The studs go in first, then the header, then the nuts..(the studs stay and dont get removed.. ever)
Its super easy and has plenty of room for a wrench to tighten the nuts.
I use a 8mm wrench, open end or box both sides fit.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:27 PM
cheezer1222

oh, I see. Did you use bolts on your header before going to studs? I'm guessing you probably didn't. Are you able to get a normal length bolt through the clutch side hole of the header?

Also I was wondering if you could go into more detail about the studs. Do you just screw them in until they stop, put on the pipe and then the nut? What is the second nut for? I don't see it in the picture.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:13 AM
logon69

Wow all that you need to do is cut a 4mm allen key with your dremel. There are no need for studs at all with victory pipes.

A shortened 4mm allen key is the answer to all of your problems Mr.!

Now as far as the spring.......you need one in order to keep the pipe snugged together. Contact whoever you bought the pipe from. I am sure they will help ya!
Old 04-30-2010, 12:34 AM
teamchrome

I didnt use that kit.
I used my own, the studs are a long set screw with a 3mm Allen head end. Same as the kit most likley.
Use a 3mm Allen wrench and locktight them in, put on header and I use one nylon nut and a 8mm wrench to tighten the nut on.
Once done.. never a problem.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:04 AM
cheezer1222

I never thought of cutting an allen key. Good call logon. Sometimes some of the most simple ideas just slip right on by. I still might use the stud idea. It definitely seems more convenient for taking pipes off and putting them on. We'll see. I appreciate all the help.

As far as the spring goes, I should just be able to use the spring from the other victory pipe, right?

teamchrome, how long are the set screws that you used? Are they 30 or 35mm like in the kit, or did you use a different length?
Old 04-30-2010, 12:30 PM
mooman007uk

I got a side pro and the manifold is bent too much for the clutch bolt so i used a regular 16mm long M5 wrench head bolt in the clutch side hole...8mm wrench to tighten it and access is easy then...one thing with these manifolds is they never come loose once tightened down.
I got a rear and side pro and one came with a spring and one didn't.... Sean at OBR sent me a spring express same day i emailed him saying it was missing. both used the same springs
Old 04-30-2010, 02:53 PM
cheezer1222

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

I got a side pro and the manifold is bent too much for the clutch bolt so i used a regular 16mm long M5 wrench head bolt in the clutch side hole.
Another great idea. I don't know why I don't think of these things. My logical thinking has been sub par at best recently.

I'll email ddm about the spring. It's not a huge deal. I can use the spring off of my other pipe if need be.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:20 PM
rckiwi

best tool I have purchased for bolting up pipes has been a Honus 200mm T-bar 4mm with ball end, then can angle in all places!