Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

1/4 -1/5- 1/6 scale solid axle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Jgilk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 -1/5- 1/6 scale solid axle?

does such a thing exist that can stand up to 1/5 scale abuse? as in mass produced or custom machined i have been looking for about 2 weeks and other then tamiya and axil (sp) i havent really seen (wheelie king) any thing in a live axle i really wouldnt want to go the custom machined rout ( as i dont have the knowledge or skill nor $15k for a set lol)
Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Soloratov
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 1/4 -1/5- 1/6 scale solid axle?

I believe RC4WD.com has a couple 5th scale axles. They are not cheap, as they are made to be "scale" versions of real axles. But I would bet they are tough. They look very well made. I have a few parts for other vehicles by them and they all are really nicely made.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Jgilk1

ORIGINAL: Soloratov

I believe RC4WD.com has a couple 5th scale axles. They are not cheap, as they are made to be "scale" versions of real axles. But I would bet they are tough. They look very well made. I have a few parts for other vehicles by them and they all are really nicely made.
much kudos* my friend exactly what i was looking for...
Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 PM
mooman007uk

I believe RC4WD.com has a couple 5th scale axles. They are not cheap, as they are made to be ''scale'' versions of real axles. But I would bet they are tough. They look very well made. I have a few parts for other vehicles by them and they all are really nicely made.

Awesome, just looked at their site and $650 for front and rear is an awesome price...pay that for a motor and pipe. I've been looking for solid axles for my FOFF jeep build..now thanks to you i've found them thanks a million
Old 07-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Jgilk1

for future referance for me and others...

front
http://store.rc4wd.com/products/The-...xle-Front.html
silver
http://store.rc4wd.com/products/The-Ultimate-Scale-Yota-1%7B47%7D5-Axle-Front-(Black).html
black

rear
http://store.rc4wd.com/products/The-...Axle-Rear.html
silver
http://store.rc4wd.com/products/The-Ultimate-Scale-Yota-1%7B47%7D5-Straight-Axle-Rear-(Black).html
black
Old 07-27-2010, 01:01 AM
bentley marshall

ive been waiting for some one to make something out of these ...
Old 07-27-2010, 01:29 AM
Jgilk1

well i got to come up with the cash for a rampage mt and these and ill be able to come up with some thing....
(looking @ about $2k+ for full setup as i would only do this build with dual metal servos in front and rear hopefully these would handle 2-3 hp...

you have to understand i have wanted a gas/nitro powered rc monster truck since i was about 12 or so after seeing my cousins 1/5 electric monster back in the day and well i have always liked true to life models so well buying a rampage mt with its stadium truck style suspension just aggitates me...

this is what is and has been rattling around in my head for the last few weeks as i have been assembling it in thoughts

so my initial thought is rampage mt pro
(this way i should be able to make a few $$$ off the front and rear metal parts as well as the stock drive train)

custom aliminum chassis allowing quad steering servos (dual in front and rear)

yota 1/5 axle (front) in both the front and rear still havent found a 1/5 scale transfer case though the stock 1 may work

still havent decided if i want to run a channel cut off or run dual steering all the time... (tighter turns)
i hate pistol grips so i would be running either a 5 or 6 channel flight controler like a spektrum

still thinking on other stuff would need 4-link..... so i guess an upped motor will be amust as i dont think the fulie 3.0 would provide the power.....
Old 07-27-2010, 09:51 AM
mooman007uk

ORIGINAL: bentley marshall

ive been waiting for some one to make something out of these ...

as long as these can take the power of an OBR full mod then a pair will be going on my FOFF for sure...my build is on hold now until i can get some more info about durability and diff, are they sealed??...I"ll be totally stoked if these can handle the ponies
Old 07-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Jgilk1

well i dont see why they wouldnt be able to handle 4-5hp easily
Old 07-27-2010, 12:02 PM
mooman007uk

I sent them an email asking a few questions and whether they'll handle the stress an OBR 27.2 full mod w/vrc pro and with 5b paddles will dish out.... Can't find any info on the diff or any spares so asked that too. See what they say.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Jgilk1

let me/us know what they say...

i see the aliminum xvd failing bfr the diff gear shread i see you having to run a planitary gear to solve that issue bfr you would ever have to worry about the torque shreading the gears

my thoughts are that with your setup your going to be breaking more axle's then any thing else if you build it properly.... torque + lots of friction... not just heavy landings
(refering to xvd not the actuall housing)

Old 07-27-2010, 04:07 PM
bentley marshall

i emailed them, ages ago they told me they were made to be used in a electric scale truck so im not sure how much hp you could put thru them
Old 07-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Jgilk1

its not the actual horse power rating your worried about but the amount of torque that is going to cause the issue with the diff gears if there not meshed correctly
Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 AM
mooman007uk

looking at the diff cups doesn't instill confidence...next to the axles they look to be only 6mm[&o] which is the same as a savage...hope I'll hear something from them today but i reckon Bentley is right in saying they're not designed for us gassers...if only they'd make them with beefier internals
Old 07-28-2010, 02:42 PM
bentley marshall

there is this site that has rear ends dont know how much they are tho http://www.firstquarterracing.com/index.html
Old 07-28-2010, 08:09 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of these for a 1/4 scale project. I think they would be OK for a crawler, but nothing beyond that. The ring and pinion is very small. The units are very well built though and ridged. I have a thread on my forum about them with pics. I definatley recommend them at that price.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:40 PM
motionmachine

I've been trying to purchase a set of those 5th scale Yota Axles for a year now. Unfortunitely the response is always the same..

we might get more made in 2-3 weeks, no ETA yet

we will update the specs once we have more made
Old 07-29-2010, 02:01 AM
Jgilk1

ORIGINAL: motionmachine

I've been trying to purchase a set of those 5th scale Yota Axles for a year now. Unfortunitely the response is always the same..

we might get more made in 2-3 weeks, no ETA yet

we will update the specs once we have more made
oh so its 1 of those made to order sites where they dont have specs unless you push them the money and then there willing to tell you its not designed to do any thing but look good lol..... idk if i would want to put them on a rock crawler... they might get scratched lol hahaha...for $650 for the set they sure as hell should be able to hold 5hp and 7 ft/lb of torque (going off my old briggs 2 stroke)

Old 07-29-2010, 02:46 AM
bentley marshall

look>>>>>>>> http://www.quarterscalelegends.com/b...php?f=30&t=853
Old 07-29-2010, 03:13 AM
Jgilk1

with a gear ratio of 2:1 i don't see these things being good for anything but rock crawling and a street car unless you paired it with a planitary as i said above... which eh isn't seeming to be much of an  issue as with 4wd and 4ws solid axle i wouldn't be using it a trophy truck for bashing (i was joking about scratching them) qsl thanks for those pics....
Old 07-29-2010, 10:30 AM
mooman007uk

here's the response i got...

Hi Julian,

No they are made for electric motors, not gasoline one. Its not that
strong. Sorry

-Mike

shame cos they look the business...if rc4wd can make these for this price then similar housings, a bit wider, beefed up and sized for an fg diff with nutech ring and pinion should be quite doable, then there'd be a bunch of diff options available.

i do know someone who could manufacture housings, CVD's and axles (I've already talked with him about the feasibility), but it's all a matter of demand and volume, how many people would really be down for a set (without diff)...if there was enough real interest I can try and persuade my buddy to get a price worked out. Is this something 1/4 scalers would be after too...
maybe I'll start a poll
Old 07-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Jgilk1

i couldnt commit to any thing right now but the interest is there... i would be interested in a set of front axle's though..... seeing as to cost...
Old 07-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Soloratov
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry if I steered ya in a bad direction with these axles guys.....I was basing this off a few purchases I have made, and they went smoothly. Granted I had not ordered anything that was "special". Kind of sucks those yota axles are shown next to a Baja 1000....a GAS truck. Hopefully something works out, a large scale crawler would certainly be a cool thing to see.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:23 AM
Jgilk1

Sorry if I steered ya in a bad direction with these axles guys.....I was basing this off a few purchases I have made, and they went smoothly. Granted I had not ordered anything that was "special". Kind of sucks those yota axles are shown next to a Baja 1000....a GAS truck. Hopefully something works out, a large scale crawler would certainly be a cool thing to see.
its not your fault its theres for "false repersentation" im sure someone could get these to work but that would take the right "transmitter/reciever/clutch spring" to"detune" the engine.... for a lower smoother torque curve