Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Text book on thermals and slope ...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Text book on thermals and slope ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 01:35 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Text book on thermals and slope ...

I stumbled on an inexpensive text book about weather the other day. Not only was it cheap, but it had an entire chapter on Soaring Weather. What a deal.

The chapter on soaring covered everything. It is excellent. I thought I'd done everything with a model glider but it even had sections on what I thought it'd miss, slope and cross country. It's there. I got a couple of them to pass around to the new guys I fly with who are trying out gliders for the first time.

So now I discovered a better deal. Free.

The is a free download of just the soaring chapter. Hope the link works.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/6044a5c61fa9349585256a35006d56b2/c2df8d9d7471617786256a020078083a/$FILE/AC%2000-6A%20Chap%2016-Index%20-%20Aviation%20Weather,%201975.pdf
Old 05-12-2012, 01:44 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Text book on thermals and slope ...

If you do a search for Aviation Weather AC 00-6A
you should find a number of sources that offer the book. I got mine some months back for around $5 each, but my search today didn't show that one. I didn't look at the details however, so it should be somewhere in the list. The book I got was US government, printed on economy paper and proof grade ink. It actually looks better than the images you see in the free pdf you can download with the link above. That download is a scan of the book, it just doesn't look as good on a monitor.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Fleet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good primer is Thermal Soaring by George Stringwell. First published in 1981 and it is a UK release and absolutely no ISBN number to help. I wish I could remember where I bought it.

handled through RM Books if that helps. 333 plus Glossary.

Ray W.

online search result:
$24

http://www.amazon.com/Control-Therma.../dp/090367615X
Old 05-12-2012, 08:24 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the best thing I've ever seen on Thermal Soaring. I flew competitively for ten years to learn what is in this video.
http://www.radiocarbonart.com/produc...l-Soaring.html

$25