Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

C/F pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 02:07 AM
Kestrel-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C/F pushrods

Would .050 Carbon Fiber rod be strong enough for rudder and elevator on a 3m sailplane? It will be a straight line and well supported in a strong housing.

So far the opinions that I have received are: One individual thought they are to light, more suited to a 2m ship. I did not get and answer from one supplier and the other one thought that the .050 rod in a straight line and well supported would work just fine.

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Duey
Old 06-21-2002, 12:58 PM
Ben Diss
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C/F pushrods

Yes and no. If they were well supported they would have the strength to handle the loads from the control surface. The problem would be on a hard landing. Carbon doesn't take abuse well. Your risk would be that you might break one on landing and not know about it until you came off the winch line.

-Ben