Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Sneak Peek at my new F3B Winch

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Sneak Peek at my new F3B Winch

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 02:14 PM
Toomanyplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sneak Peek at my new F3B Winch

I've been busy these last couple of months with chores and Summer activities but I have 4 guys locally who want the winch as pictured here and I am planning to make 6 more as a batch and have decided to see if anyone here wants one when they are completed. Since this is a Hobby, I only plan on making these ONE TIME ONLY. My wife has other plans for me and my spare time!! It is easier to do a batch all at once so if anyone wants a copy of this winch with all the features as shown here, you can send me a PM at my e-mail. It will not be a give away as it takes a substantial investment in time and materials to assemble this precision made piece of equipment. If you want to spend less $$ go to e-bay or try building your own and put your money where your mouth is. Price will be around $850 plus shipping. I say "around" because of the fluctuating price of the materials. Quality materials and products are used throughout the winch. I am only offering these to the folks who like the design and features as presented on this posting.

All will have painted PPG Polyurethane welded steel frames with the Ford 3110 motor (brand new) fitted wit dual bearings in the cooling discs. The drum is removable with the one bolt as shown. I will offer these with the 1.9" diameter drum only at this time unless other arrangements are made for the smaller drum also for an extra charge. All hardware will be Stainless Steel and the turnaround will be included as shown. The legs will remove for transport. This dude is heavy (about 40 pounds) so you might want to make a dolly if you have a bad back.

The only changes to the design will be a digital red LED voltmeter, green solonoid status indicator lights (instead of red), and no high amp disconnect plug. The battery clamps will be those shown (Swedish quick disconnects).

This will NOT be F3B compliant. You will need to use a step down resistor installed and calibrated per REGS as posted earlier in this discussion to make it legal. Otherwise it is a perfectly legal Sport winch as used in all club venues throughout the USA. No line or chute is supplied but of course it is designed for either Monofilament or braided nylon.

When I make the Superhawk, I have a wait list folks sign up for and I call folks on the list in order of sign-up. You are free to pass up your slot. No deposit required as these will go out the door either way. Same deal goes for this. If you want to be put on the list, drop me a note and I'll put you on in the order received. You will be contacted when the winch is ready and payment can be by money order or Paypal (credit cards OK). You are free to pass and no deposit is required.

Be warned! This winch is POWERFUL with a good high CCA rated battery and will absolutely destroy a stick plane so be advised!

I apoloigize to those who want this listed somewhere else, but I'd be happy to comply with any requests if I ruffled any feathers!

Tony Johnson
Buddy _ Johnson at Yahoo dot Com

Old 11-14-2005, 12:54 AM
Toomanyplanes

Well, here's the progress on the batch of winches I am building. The machining is 90% complete. Just finished the basic welding on the frames and completed the turnaround assemblies. Lots and lots of work. The mock up is in the center and shows the basic layout of the winch. More pictures later...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64365.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	354065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55124.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	354066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr39835.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	354067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc40079.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	354068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ri69949.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	354069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dc56590.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	354070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Am64219.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	354071  
Old 11-14-2005, 09:12 PM
avince

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that is a lot of work. It all looks excellent

Tony V.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:10 PM
Toomanyplanes

Well it IS ALOT of work!! Three months into it, here is the final result. Six completed winches ready for final testing and rigging. All are working on the bench just fine and I should have the field runs completed soon. No shortage of launching power here !! I decided to add an aircraft guarded switch assembly with an LED indicator to remind folks that this switch does something important. Nothing like people accidentaly stepping on the footswitch to grab your attention. I also added a two position solenoid monitoring test so the system could be checked for proper operation if needed.

Ahhh... to finally be able to fly with monofilament line and get those awesome zoom launches!!

After all this work, I think I'll just go fly when the sun comes out to remind myself why I am so addicted to this hobby !!

I'll be notifying everyone on the waiting list the winches will be ready for shipping arount the 1st of January. I want to have them all squared away by then. The final price will be $900 plus shipping. I know it's alot but I really put alot of money into all the brand new, top notch components and time ( 30 + hours EACH) into these and they are a quality piece of equipment that will last alot longer than the planes they will launch. Those of you who have built any machined product know what I'm talking about.

If I have anyone who passes on their slot I will post it here so someone else can have a shot at it if they want.

Here are some pictures of the finished winches.

Name:	Rp44507.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	370306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93314.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	370307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22324.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	370308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21343.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	370309  
Old 12-28-2005, 09:55 PM
Toomanyplanes

Well, Everyone is committed and all winches are SOLD OUT. Maybe I'll make some more this Spring if enough interest is at hand. Thanks for your support and comments. I hope everyone enjoys their new Discus Winch !!

Turbulence and barfbags!

Tony Johnson
Old 02-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Toomanyplanes

Guys,

ONE Discus winch is now available [X(]. I had a buyer back out and the winch is now available for anyone who wants it. The price will be $900 plus shipping. Shipping will be $70 to most locations plus another $20 for packing. Shipping weight 70 pounds from zipcode 98221. I don't make money on shipping. If you spent $1500 or more on your plane, this winch will compliment it nicely. You will not be disappointed.

This winch has been placed in the classified ads as well.

NO LONGER AVAILABLE. SOLD LOCALLY THANKS FOR LOOKING!

The following quote is from one recent recipient:

Tony.

Everything arrived safe and sound. I have over the years had access to some of the most competitive winches on the f3b circuit. Indeed even the winch used by the former British and world champion back in the 90s. The quality of your workmanship is by far some of the best I have seen in a long time. Thank you. You have a well thought out and executed design with the discuss. I know I couldn't of purchased anything as good for the price. as soon as I get her into play I will give you some feed back on performance and so on. But to be honest with the experience I have of winches I know that I will Have no problems at all. Once again thanks.

Regards Tony V.

Non-solicited and feel free to contact this member on previous postings.

First come first serve.

Thanks

Tony Johnson

Name:	Db85996.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	403907  
Old 01-30-2018, 01:36 PM
gliderpilot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you still involved with the winch? I would like to put a brake on mine I am interested in the brake you used on your F3b winch? Thanks, AL