Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

E-Hawk 2000 Electric Sailplane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

E-Hawk 2000 Electric Sailplane

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 07:04 PM
Antelope39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Hawk 2000 Electric Sailplane

I just purchased a Thunder Tiger E-Hawk 2000 electric sailplane and can't find ANY info on this forum regarding this kit (which is distributed by ACE R/C).

Basically, I'm looking for anyone out there that has seen/built/flown one and what their thoughts were.

This is a great looking 2m EP sailplane with fully balsa sheeted wings, ABS fuse, and an included 540 can motor (which I instantly tossed aside). Ailerons are also part of the package.

I intend to install my Jeti-Phasor 30/3 with 10 cells (1300mAh SCR's) and use a computer radio for flaperon use.

As soon as I get it in the air, I'll post some results.

Again, if anyone here has some info on this kit, please respond.

Thanks!

Dan
Old 11-26-2002, 12:22 PM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default E-Hawk 2000 Electric Sailplane

Dan,

I have a work colleague who wants to start R/C with a powered glider and insists on ailerons. Would you recommend the Ehawk with the can motor?

I am a pattern flyer so won't be able to help him find any lift to keep it up!

Regards

Malcolm
Old 09-23-2003, 06:21 PM
hughc

Default RE: E-Hawk 2000 Electric Sailplane

What became of the ehawk? My ehawk is assembled and trimmed for flying. It has a Mega motor and Jetti speed control. 6 cell packs are dismil. 7 cell packs are OK. Now I need to purchase an 8 cell pack. Someone said the ehawk is a "warmliner". I'd be interested to have it climb out well in the first place.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:16 PM
hughc

When 2 1500ma 6 cells packs are installed in the eHawk the planes changes. It climbs, glides and lands well. This plane can carry the weight. Why 2 1500 ma packs you ask? The packs are inexpensive ($9.99) and fit well in the fuse. The two packs are wired in series to a Jetti 70 3P and that runs a Mega 22/20/3 motor. And a MRC Super Brain 969 can charge both packs at the same time.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:39 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was in a hobby store today with my brother. He's sort of fallen in love with the TT eHawk 2000 with the 540 motor.

I'm not that familiar with electrics. I need some recommendations on putting a package together for him.

First of all, what are your overall impressions of it?

Secondly, what types of (a) Servos, (b) battery packs, and (c) ESC w/BEC (need some kind of current rating here)

I'd be obliged for any information anyone out there might be able to shed on these. It sure looks like a pretty airplane.

And, while I'm at it, how about comparing this to a WindStar EP?

Maybe I could learn a thing or two about these too. I'm a 'wet' flyer.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 11-23-2004, 09:59 PM
caribwill

Dan, How did it fly. I am building one with the exact same setup and was curious what you found?

Will
Old 11-24-2004, 09:45 PM
N1EDM

Can anyone tell me if the eHawk 2000 is still being made, and who might have one?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 11-30-2004, 12:11 AM
jerichod
My Feedback: (4)

to N1EDM: New Creations RC is where I bought mine, and his website shows it in stock. see http://www.newcreations-rc.com/Produ...number=TTR4308

to others, i have pretty much quit flying mine. reasons:
a) wing had a warp in it from the factory. tried several times to fix it, kept coming back, and finally got frustrated with it. wings were different weight, and one required a nickel in the outermost tip to balance. i had to make the battery a hump pack to get the cg right.
b) as set up with the can motor and a 7 cell pack it was heavier than a sinners heart and climb out was not great.
c) with low wing area and high loading, it flys pretty fast. mine came out at 56 ounces, so with >15 oz/ft2 loading it is not a floater.
d) the graphics are minimal, so it is hard to tell which way it is oriented. more color on the wing would be useful.
e) the worst of all was a nasty tipstall tendancy when turning in a sharp thermal turn. nearly lost it on several occasions, but was able to recover in time.
f) a bit more dihedral helped. bent the wing rods up a couple of degrees.
g) the can motor finally burned up after 70 flights or so.

keep in mind i fly at 6500' msl elevation, so that will have an affect on the performance.

what was good:
the ailerons biased up and used as spoilerons were pretty effective, good enough so that i could land it reliably in a baseball park.
it handled rough conditions ok, as long as you kept your speed up.
probably would be good at a slope,
brushless would help, but the cg may be an issue if the motor is too light.

if you are looking for a nice aileron ARF glider, in my mind, the best value for the money is the esprit models bird3000, a bird of time varient. can't say enough good about that plane, but it is a much lower wing loading, so it is for a different kind of flying than the ehawk.

r.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:36 AM
rscarawa

I know that 56 oz sounds heavy, but how does the competition stack up to that in weight? I have been looking around for a similar glider like the Breeze and they say that is 52 oz. Does that sound right? If you do the math on the data they provide it does not add up. I have asked the guy who reviewed the Breeze to weigh his, but I have not had a reply.

Does anyone have weight numbers for their electric warm liner gliders?

Scot
Old 11-30-2004, 09:36 AM
jerichod

rscarawa: cermarks site claims the breeze is 5.18 sq in, i think they mean 518 sqs, and they claim 3.25 lbs, so that give the 14.5 oz/ft2 that they claim.
the ehawks specs are very similar at 524 squares and 51-55 oz, with mine at 56 oz my loading came out slightly over 15 oz/ft2.

so they are very similar in wing loading as spec'd, but the other factor is the airfoil. no info on the breeze, but the ehawks foil is a modified e205, as i recall, and i think that airfoil is pretty thin.

hotliners on northeast sailplanes site all list wing loadings around 10 to 17, so this is probably in the mid to upper range of a typical hotliner.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:46 AM
rscarawa

That makes more sense. I did watch the video on this website and noticed that you never really see that plane slow down much for a landing. I wonder if having foam wings causes a big weight penalty? I figure they do that to keep cost down.

Scot
Old 11-30-2004, 07:01 PM
timmyds

Jerichod, can you reccomend a motor and esc combo for the bird 3000 from your experience?? I looked at the Esprit site, and the 3000 looks like exactly what I need, but unsure w/ what to power it. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:43 PM
jerichod

timmyds: on my bird3000, I am using a kontronik FUN480-33 with a 4.4 to 1 gearbox and a 14x8 CAM folding prop, with a kontronik smile 40-6-12 controller. I am using 8 cell Sanyo 4/5 FAUP 1950 mah nimh batteries. per pcalc, this gives me about 30 amps input, 215 watts, 88.5% effic, 55.3 oz static thrust, 39.8 oz in flight thrust at 38.4 mph. at about 60 oz total weight, this gives me 57 watts per pound. climb out is very steep, but not vertical (or course), say about 60 or 70 degrees. at comfortable thermaling height in less than 30 seconds.

i suppose just about any motor that can give you 200+ watts will work, but as is typical with gliders the cg is always a problem. i had to make a custom hump type battery pack to get the cg right, and the kontronik is pretty heavy, so a lighter motor may be more work to get the cg right.

thanks for the interest, i think i will post another thread with 'bird3000' in the title and more impressions to help others out who are thinking of the same thing, and let this thread go back to the ehawk.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Silop2

Thank you for the interesting information about the E-hawk 2000.
I bought mine 2 years ago and then I was new to R/C and I found it very hard to fly.
One wing was heavier and had a little bent all over the length.
I changed the motor to a little stronger brush motor and replaced the folding propeller to a 9x5 folding CAM prop.
The battery is a 2400 mA 7.4 V LiPo. The weight is 53 ounce in total. I can manage it to gain reasonable height 2 to three times during a soaring flight.
Last weekend I took it down from the ceiling and went to a hill for slope flying. The wind was right and I just used the motor to get out of the hill.
Then I managed to have it in the air for almost half an hour. Then my fingers get stiff due to the cold weather and the strong wind. The Hawk managed very well and I was surprised of its very well behaving in the wind. Some tipstall occurred but I had time to correct it.
The taught part was still ahead due to the landing, but I managed it well as I have made the ailerons as breaks and I landed 5 meters behind me.
I think I will go there again in the summer.

Tonight I followed your advise about a little more dihedral and I look forward to see what it will do.
//Bosse
Old 03-01-2007, 11:29 AM
aidan_jos_mills

Hi

What servos are you guys using or used in you E-Hawk 2000's

Regards
Old 03-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Silop2

I am using standard servos.
//Bosse
Old 03-01-2007, 01:58 PM
aidan_jos_mills

Sorry, i actually wanted to know what servos you are using in the wings?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Silop2

OK I now looked closely and I can see I used small servos in the ving. These small servos hardly comes out of the wings surface, and therefore I do not use the supplied servo covers. Instead I covered the hole with white blank plastic.
I also want to add that I changed the LiPo to 11.1 V 2200mA and that was a dramatic change in power. For a 30 minut flight with no thermic I use only half of the battery power.
//Bosse
Old 03-02-2007, 09:37 PM
N1EDM

Where did you buy your Hawk 2000? I've been looking around for one lately...

Thanks,

Bob