Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Good starter DLG

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 07:46 PM
PhilipC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good starter DLG

Hi,
I am brand new to the entire field of r/c aviation. I saw a kid flying a DLG the other day when I was walking back from a class. I did some research and figured out that what he was flying was indeed a DLG. I thought it looked like a ton of fun. I would love to get into this hobby. I was wondering what a good plane to start out with might be, and how much I should expect to spend for the entire package (Plane, radio, etc.).

-Philip
Old 11-19-2002, 09:14 PM
Cadet

Default Good starter DLG

You've definately come to the right place!
Unfortunately a DLG doesn't make the best training platform especially if your going to learn on your own. That isn't to say that you couldn't teach yourself the ropes with a suitable model and have some fun while your at it. I assume that you have looked at the prices on DLG at this point right? Well that is quite the investment to make on a hobby that you really haven't commited (and some of us should be commited for how much we put into it ) to, also the high priced models cause much more agony to your pocket-book in the event of a crash.
So now that I've shot holes in that plan, what is there? Surprizingly there are many options still open and I'm sure that another member here can help more than I. From what you said it sounds like you are on campus, which means you don't have the unlimited space required for a larger non-handlaunched sailplane. This is where I'll leave you in the capable hands of the more experienced members of this forum.
Cheers,
Grant
Old 11-20-2002, 01:32 AM
Dan Ahearn

Default Good starter DLG

At a certain point, hand launch will offer a means to help you learn very quickly. You just seem to get more stick time and instant feedback. Finding lift down low is were the challange is.

The problem is that a DHLG set is likely to be in the $500 range once you get a ship, radio etc. An they are not meant for beginners.

Must folks will suggest joining a club.

Regardless if you teach yourself or get help, look at the highlander. Foamies are the way to get started. Once you can handle the basics, there are plenty of low cost HLG's to go with.

Have fun!

Dan
Old 11-20-2002, 03:02 AM
PhilipC

Default Good starter DLG

Thanks for your help. Im so disapointed... oh well. It is probably better that I concentrate on my studies anyhow.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:05 AM
Dan Ahearn

Default Good starter DLG

Wasn't looking to discourage you!

Hell, you can get into soaring for very low cost.

Find that local club and show up. You won't regret it.

Dan
Old 11-20-2002, 03:12 AM
PhilipC

Default Good starter DLG

I am looking at the highlander now. So this plane would be thrown like a javelin? How long does such a plane typically stay up if thrown well in dead air? Could someone recommend a radio (Preferably one that I could use in a DLG later on if possible)? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:16 AM
Dan Ahearn

Default Good starter DLG

Well ....
You could have a toss or two with it. Particularly when learning the basics with your instuctor ... at the club.

But to launch this ship the easiest, low cost means is with a hi-start. Basically a long piece of surgical tubing and line.

And of course if you're near any slope sites...
Old 11-20-2002, 03:24 AM
PhilipC

Default Good starter DLG

Ok Thanks. I would love to stop by a club, but it seams that all of the clubs around Atlanta (I go to Georgia Tech) are outside of the city. With no means of transportation this poses complications.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:37 AM
me2cyclops

Default Good starter DLG

call b&b hobbies in snellville and ask for contact info for someone in the NASA (north atlanta soaring association) they will hook you up
Old 11-21-2002, 12:40 AM
PhilipC

Default Good starter DLG

Thanks I will do that.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:05 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Good starter DLG

Originally posted by PhilipC
Ok Thanks. I would love to stop by a club, but it seams that all of the clubs around Atlanta (I go to Georgia Tech) are outside of the city. With no means of transportation this poses complications.
But the members probably live IN the city. Check out the web sites for these clubs or get a contact phone number from the hobby shops. If I know my modellers a simple request for a ride from someong that lives close by, thanks to your situation, will have a modeller limo service at your door the following Sunday......

BTW, you can get into thermal or the simpler built up HLG's quite cheaply. A Hitec 3 channel and a Spirit or similar will work fine for many a glider. But don't forget that you'll need to also buy AMA membership for the liability insurance. You can't join a chartered club without it and you don't want to fly without the insurance they offer anyway. You'd be surprised at how much injury an model can cause if it's a runaway. I had one of my free flight old timer rubber powered models chip a bit of paint on a new Lexus a few years back. That was a $1500 repair bill that was covered except for our deductable. Join the AMA before your first flight.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:26 AM
PhilipC

Default Good starter DLG

Thanks for your advice