Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Chutes, Histart

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 12:57 AM
jf_moreira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chutes, Histart

Hello all!

I'm wondering if someone could post a picture or anything similar showing a chute 'cutout'. I intend to build a new chute for my histart, since the one I have is just ok, but won't open sometimes....

I'm looking for something neat and maybe different from the crowd...

Any hints?

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2003, 06:40 AM
ECStrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chutes, Histart

Do you know someone that is handy with a sewing machine ???
At one time (about 10 years ago) it seemed that no one was making them. I ended up getting a sewing machine that did zig zag stitching (as well as standard) when I was doing sailboats to make sails. I noticed a foot in it where I could sew into the string in the chute. I made 6 of them and gave away 4 of them. I still have the 2 and work just as good as the first time I used them. Of corse if there is no wind blowing the chute is a problem and if you dont have the hole near the towhook point it will open on tow. I will try and find some tome and draw you a sketch on Autocad and post it here. First thing you will have to find is some good Rip Stop materal and also get it in a color you will be able to see(I used hot neon pink as it was on sale for $1 a yard) when it is on the ground. Also how tough will you have to make it ? The problem through the years is that the chute crawls up the string if it is not secured and a zig zag stitch won't do. If I remember rite the chute was round at around 12"inches and the hole was 2"inches I'll let ya know when I send the other post. The rings can be found at a tack shop (where they make horse saddles). I use a 2" inch ring at the winch line end as it gives a little weight for the chute and a 1" inch ring for the tow hook. How many strings you use is up to you but I think I would use a minimum of 6. I will get the measurements and a picture for ya tomorrow.

Good luck
EC