Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Radian - a new e-glider from Parkzone

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Radian - a new e-glider from Parkzone

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 05:20 AM
zzz12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radian - a new e-glider from Parkzone

David Eichstedt and Kencramsey thanks . Parkzone make the best parkflyers i have the spitfire,Mustang,T28 Trojan ,Corsair ,Radian. I wish Parkzone would make a new fighter eg F-16 What do you think is out next? . One thing bad about Parkzone is the parts hard to get parts on new planes eg Radian Corsair . wait wait and wait .[]
Old 12-05-2008, 07:25 PM
gdavis9999

Thanks for the great tips below. I took delivery of a Radian today. I have flown RC planes for years, so it was not issue to launch or land. The bird is wonderful my first glider. So peaceful!

- I noticed that even with the significant amount of dihedral the glider will continue to turn after the rudder stick is in the neutral position (and trimmed for neutral flight). Is this normal for a glider?
- I also found that it's easier to get altitude by putting it in a wide circle at about half power. Is this the way you guys get altitude? It seems easier than going into the wind where is goes nose up.
- For a powered glider, it seems better to slowly power off so the bird does not stall. Do you find the same thing?

ORIGINAL: aeajr

It is true that TD sailpalnes tend to be more stable than aerobats. That stability allows the glider to fly and to hunt for lift with minimal input from the pilot. Every time you move the sticks you create drag which saps energy from the plane. However if we get too stable the plane won't respond well to lift. The glider might fly right through a thermal and we may not see the effect of the thermal on the glider. So there is a midpoint we seek.

BALANCE AND SAILPLANES

There are many points of view on balancing sailplanes. I will share some common or personal views.

1) As stated above, once you have the feel of the plane, start to move the CG back. A more forward CG makes for a more stable plane, but one that will not be as responsive or sensitive to lift. Too far back and it will be had to handle and you will be constantly correcting. You want something in between. Most plans and most RTFs are set up a little nose heavy to make the planes stable, which is best for inital flights or beginners.

2) A forward CG, being a little nose heavy, forces you to trim in some up elevator to get the plane to fly level. This leads to a very self correcting behavior. If the plane goes into a dive, it will pull itself out, for example.

This will also cause the plane to pull up hard under power. While most e-gliders I have flown will have some tendancy to want to raise the nose under power, if the glider wants to go into a loop, you have a fair amount of up trim on that elevator and this might be due to being nose heavy. You can read this using the dive test.

Take the Radian high, then turn the motor off and be sure the prop folds.

Get it flying level, smooth and stable into the wind.

Now, put the Radian into a dive, maybe 45 degrees degrees.
As the glider picks up speed, any up or down trim in the elevator will be magnified by the higher speed.

If it is nose heavy, that up elevator trim will cause the plane to pull out of the dive quickly.

If the elevator is neutral, the plane will come out of the dive very slowly or will hold the dive till it hits the ground. DON'T LET IT HIT THE GROUND! I actually had someone watch it fly right into the ground. He was watching the dive and looking for the pull-out which never came.

If it is tail heavy, the plane will tuck, that is the dive will tend to steepen. Be sure to pull out before something bad happens!

When I tune my gliders, I shoot for a neutral dive test. From about 300 feet, the plane will hold a 45 degree dive or come out slow enough that I may have to pull it out or crash.

3) Wing incidence - the angle relationship between the the wing and the h-stab.

If you have stab/elevator type tail, as the Radian does, and you have to put in noticeable down trim (looking at at the stab/elevator relationship) to get any kind of neutral dive test, chances are your h-stab is not level to the wing. If the stab is up in the back, this gives you a constant up elevator effect. Planes that have fully flying stabs, where the whole surface moves, don't have this issue.

Some other resources.

Performance Tuning Gliders - This is outstanding!
http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=227

Gordy on Balancing
http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=255

Test Flight Procedures
http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=226
Old 12-06-2008, 10:08 AM
zzz12

Help took the radian up first time today wind 8mph . it was hard to fly .put the motor on it shot up. motor off it dropped it nose down fast and then with back up and down [:'(] Not a good plane [:'(]
Old 12-06-2008, 12:18 PM
zzz12

pic of battery in Radian help
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67495.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1084852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85238.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1084853  
Old 12-06-2008, 12:23 PM
zzz12

Help me please took the Radian up for her maided flight today winds 8-9 mph she went up with motor on.Then she started to balloon up and down making it hard to fly . Not looking good for the parkzone Radian
Old 12-06-2008, 12:26 PM
zzz12

pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55287.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1084854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21762.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1084855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72557.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1084856  
Old 12-06-2008, 12:54 PM
gdavis9999

moved
Old 12-06-2008, 06:29 PM
zzz12

gdavis9999 Thanks i think the battery moved. [:@]
Old 12-06-2008, 09:30 PM
lehrscott4

I have a radian pnp on order and i have all the internals from a parkzone t-28 trojan, i was wondering if anyone knows if the t28 battery, 3 cell 1800mah would have any ill effects if i used it on the radian?
I would love it if i didn't have to buy a lipo for it.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:10 AM
zzz12

Flying better now. When taking off with motor on full power push down it stops the nose going up to much . When you put power on it rockets up fast (a lot of down with power on. Power off ok.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Jeff_edge540

You are still too nose heavy zzz12.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:51 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jeff_edge540

You are still too nose heavy zzz12.
Why do you say this?

Old 12-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Jeff_edge540

From my experience with the Radian, if the nose is too heavy you will tend to trim in up-elevator in slow flight to fight the nose from dropping. When the engine is powered, the extra thrust over the elevator will cause the Radian to immediately climb.

I experimented with many CG locations and found that an aft CG (about 1/4") will enable the Radian to fly straight and level with or without the engine on (thanks to your excellent CG write-up!).
Old 12-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Kencramsey

So with the Radian. How do I change the CG. I have ran the 1300 battery and the 1800 and they both sean to fly the same.

Ken Cramsey
Old 12-08-2008, 04:52 PM
lehrscott4

So is the 1800mah battery that you used the same one from the t28? It seems alot longer than the 1300. But it still fits ok huh?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Kencramsey

Yes it the same as the t-28 about twice as long. I can add weight to the noise because the battery can be moved forword but how do you move the battery back???

Ken Cramsey
Old 12-09-2008, 06:47 PM
gopherhunter

Hi Ken and all others, I am near Franktown, Co., south of Denver, and a newbie. All of you that so willingly share your years of valuable experience and info have given me a great education in RC aircraft, mods, and flying.
In August, I "graduated" myself from a little 2 ch. park flier, which I lost in a thermal, and decided to get into the hobby on a "higher" level. I live on 10 acres of prairie here and see all this sky as a great potential for fun (I see vultures and hawks riding thermals almost every day in the summer). After some research on RCU, I decided to go buy an Easy Star as my next step. Well, LHS told me that "those foam planes don't fly very good at this elevation" (6300 feet (1900M) at my place). I definitely wanted a powered glider such as the Easy Star, because a hi-start at my place is not very practical, LHS suggested GP Spectra, but I had learned from discussions here that flaps/aelerons (for crowing) were desirable for me due to the limited landing area I have here (lots of brush), so I opted for a GP Spirit Elite kit, that I would electrify.
Built it up in September, and proceeded to break it every time I let go of it. It is too fragile for me it seems, as even a trim flight always seemed to break something (I've since learned that it has a pretty high stall speed). It is air-worthy now, but I am almost afraid to fly it now, but my confidence is always increasing: I have a GP RealFlight 4.5 Simulator that I have logged many hours on, concentrating on rudder/elevator and landings, and recently picked up a Wild Hawk (Easy Star clone) from Harbor Freight, which has helped me a lot, as the real stick time seems best, especially with such an easily repairable plane.
So, 1100 dollars and much frustration later (newbie, remember), I buy a cheap 80 dollar foam plane that flies great (after the mods suggested on RCU). Granted, it's no sailplane, but I enjoy specking it out and gliding back down, with some mild aerobatics, which is what I wanted from the beginning. My third flight was 47 minutes.
I've always had my eye on the various Multiplex powered Gliders, because of that foam that is so forgiving. Now the Radian has caught my eye, but what LHS told me about foam planes still haunts me. Should I get one? Am I missing something about this high elevation thing? Is the Spirit really going to fly better here, or is it that foam planes don't generate the revenue? I haven't heard you complain about yours, Ken, and I know you are flying at or near my elevation, and you others that fly Radians, or other foam gliders, I don't know the elevations where you are flying, but if you are a Mile High, throw me a bone.
I saw suggestions that the Spirit Elite is not a beginners plane, but up to now, I considered myself a fast learner. Maybe in a year or two I should try to fly it. The Radian, being a 2M seems like a good next step from the smaller WH, as I'm guessing it can handle the inevitable (it seems) bounce off the ground a lot better than the Spirit. Heck, maybe I'll like it so much that I'll retire the Spirit, which hasn't been more than fifty feet off the ground.
Thanks for any and all input. Please pardon my ignorance.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Kencramsey

That guy at your LHS what a nebbie. Has he ever flown a foam plane? This thing is the best foam glider out there. I have been so happy with this thing. I fly over at the Home Depot at C470 and 285. I hand lanch it and hand catch it all the time. One day all I did was take off and hand landings the thing until my arms were to treid to throw it. This last weekend had it 1500 feet in the air on one fight. ARFF2 if you want to see this thing fly and try a couple of flights give me a call and we can meet up. Me and my son fly each weekend.

Ken Cramsey 303 550 5374

Ps I had a call from a guy off this site this last weekend and help him out with his Radian. I love to help
Old 12-10-2008, 03:50 PM
gopherhunter

Ken thanks for your fast reply and terrific offer! I look forward to seeing your Radian fly. I suspect that weekends with decent weather and my being able to get away for a few hours will be a little scarce for a while. I will keep you in mind and watch the forecast, and if you plan some flying, e-mail me and I’ll try to join you. I’m a good hour drive from your flying field.
I’m curious about how the Radian handles wind. At my place, there is frequently a steady breeze 5-10mph. I may just have to have a “wind” plane for those days, or maybe just some ballast (and stick time) will do it?
I’m glad to hear you speak so highly of your Radian. It looks like a perfect plane for me at this time. Have you flown any other foam gliders? How did you decide on this one? Can you recommend where I should buy one? Are you using the Transmitter/ Receiver that comes with the RTF?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Kencramsey

I have been using the reciver that came with the Radian and I have a DX6i. I love the mixing you get with the better radio, I thing the 5e work good just not as ajustable as the DX6i.

I have the super cub and the t-28 both are great plane. After both of them I knew the Radian would be a nice plane. I had one super cub that the plane had so much hot glue on it i had to retire the wing and the body. I fly the super cub with a lipo battery and what a fun plane to fly.

I have flown it in 5 to 8 mph winds with no problems. It's not as fun in the wind as it is in the calm and looking for thermals but still fly's good.

There's a Colpar hobby by my house that has the Radian for 239.95 and 4.5% tax. nice guy that own this hobby store. I have been looking on e-bay but they have been selling for more then the LHS's

Ken Cramsey

I will email you the next time we go out to fly.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Kencramsey

arff2 Looks like the weathers is going to be good on Saturady. We will probable fly in the morning. Give me a call and maybe we can work out a time.

Ken Cramsey 303 550 5374
Old 12-11-2008, 11:49 PM
gopherhunter

Dude, I picked up my new Radian on my way home this morning. Thanks for the Saturday invite, but I can't make it. I'll be on duty on Saturday. I want to join you with my bird and have you do a little show and tell. Yesterday I read a bunch of RCU entries about Radians, and came away convinced that I have to have one now. An early Christmas present.
Thanks again for your willingness to help. I may not attempt to fly her until we get together. I'll be in touch.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Kencramsey

That cool. To bad Sunday weather is going to suck 18 deg and 3 to 4 inches of snow. I guess we will have to meet up next week sopme time. I have a couple of days off that I'm sure I will be flying. How do you like the way it looks?

Ken Cramsey 303 550 5374
Old 12-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Rollingthunder

Hey guys,

Let's take this chatter PM.
This is an open forum and this private chatter adds nothing to this thread.[]

arff2 Looks like the weathers is going to be good on Saturady.

Dude, I picked up my new Radian on my way home this morning. Thanks for the Saturday invite, but I can't make it. I'll be on duty on Saturday.

That cool. To bad Sunday weather is going to suck
Please....
Old 12-13-2008, 01:12 AM
jbrandon

ORIGINAL: Rollingthunder

Hey guys,

Let's take this chatter PM.
This is an open forum and this private chatter adds nothing to this thread.[]

arff2 Looks like the weathers is going to be good on Saturady.

Dude, I picked up my new Radian on my way home this morning. Thanks for the Saturday invite, but I can't make it. I'll be on duty on Saturday.

That cool. To bad Sunday weather is going to suck
Please....
Please...

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.