Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Radian - a new e-glider from Parkzone

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Radian - a new e-glider from Parkzone

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Kencramsey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radian - a new e-glider from Parkzone

ORIGINAL: jbrandon

ORIGINAL: Rollingthunder

Hey guys,

Let's take this chatter PM.
This is an open forum and this private chatter adds nothing to this thread.[]

arff2 Looks like the weathers is going to be good on Saturady.

Dude, I picked up my new Radian on my way home this morning. Thanks for the Saturday invite, but I can't make it. I'll be on duty on Saturday.

That cool. To bad Sunday weather is going to suck
Please....
Please...

Jim

There was only two post that were chatter all the rest were good question about the Radian.

Also some one on here said to move the CG back to keep it from climing so bad when full throttle. What do you guy think??? And second how would I do that on this Radian? Could I add weight to the rear? Just looking to make this thing fly as best as it can. I have been adding some mixing in the radio with the throttle and the elevator about 15 % down when full throttle.

Ken Cramsey
Old 12-16-2008, 06:40 PM
lehrscott4

Im getting a PNP radian for xmas and will be using tghe 1800mah lipo from the t28 trojan. Anyone know how badly this heavier battery will affect the center of gravity?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Kencramsey

I have been using the 1800 and I don't really notice anything different. One thing is the 1800 will last for hours. I have had a couple of 1 hour fight times and still could of climbed back up and flew for longer just got tired. The 1300 is more battery then you need. I do get worried about finding a big thermal and running out of battery and not being able to get out of it. A week ago I got out of Radio range and almost lost it. It was turning left and I could get it to control. I had to walk about a ½ mile before it started to control again. I was about 1300 feet in the air and about 40000 feet away.

Ken Cramsey
Old 12-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Jeff_edge540

You can get a 1300mah for around $20. That way your Radian will fly better and you don't have to worry about swapping batteries
Old 12-19-2008, 12:45 PM
lehrscott4

Im just being lazy and figured that since i have no use for this 1800, i hate to just leave it laying on the workbench forever.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:37 PM
skawt01

Hi people. I'm a total newbie to this sport, and to this site, so please bear w/ me.

I'm finally fed up w/ fixing my Firebird Freedom, which is my first and only plane, and after numerous patches and rigging, the motor seems to have died. I have directional control, but no power. Makes no sense. I can't get my hand into the body to begin to fix it, so I'm done. It was fun, but unless I get a wild hair, I plan to ground it. Onward....

After scanning thru this thread, I'm nearly sold on gettingParkzone Radian RTF. You guys have posted great info here, but I still have one question.

Can I purchase an inexpensive wall charger for the LiPo battery?? The RTFcomes with a car charger, but I can't stand waiting for 40 minutes while plugged into it. If anyone can give me a model # or brand for a good charger that won't break the bank, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:54 PM
CaptainRandy

This is a good deal, and a great place to buy at lower cost. I have been buying from them for years.

I buy all my RX's, lipos. motors & esc's from them.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=7028

It does require a 12v input, sorry.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:03 PM
skawt01

Thanks Capt Randy. I did some research, and came up with the following AC/DC charger:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/ultracart/im/5C02BD11D7B0B9011D829AF5DF631600?AWSAccessKeyId=0P 4TXH5AKGYC8WHDZFG2&Expires=1247172876&Signature=rf UL9LsqnOm0I3PDu7AnU4CuTQI%3D

I couldn't find a similar version on the site you linked me to. But I was wondering if you (or anyone) think this one is a decent choice for home Li-Po charging? Such as for the Radian.

Otherwise, what batteries are people using as a 12v source for power? I can't seem to find a ton of info on this issue, and being a greenhorn, I really need the advice.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:10 PM
CBM Racing

I used a car battery charger for awhile to power my 12v chargers, but the noise is to much. So, bought a converter at radioshack that is silent and it has plug like a cig. lighter in a car so the radian charger plugs right in. It works great, but I'm sure harbor freight or some other supply store has the same thing cheaper.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:11 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had my first crash with the Radian. Tore the nose off and some related foam. I was teaching a student and did not adequately prepare him. Totally my fault.

Fortunately the Radian went back together without problem. I used Zap-a-gap gap filling CA and kicker. I put the CA on one side and kicker on the other. The thick CA cures slower than thin CA so you do have about 10 -15 seconds to position parts before the final bind. Seems to have worked fine with no damage to the foam.

Will see if it holds up to use. If the nose falls off, well that might be an indication of a problem.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

That happened to me on one of my earlier flights right after my first fly-away severe crash flight. I had glued it just like you did, but there might have been cracks right behind that plastic motor mount piece. When I was launching and giving full throttle too fast, the front tore off. I reglued it and also added some strips of 3M shipping tape with the fiberglass threads, it has held on ever since. Even through my lawn dart flight into a pond when the wing separated. The 3M tape is easy to apply and is very strong.

Last evening flight #32 for me ending right at dusk rendered 54 minutes and only a highest altitude of 556 ft. Iam determined to go over an hour!
Old 10-18-2009, 10:17 AM
rjpmodel

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How would the the radian compare with a Spirit glider
equiped with a similar poewr plant?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:25 PM
rjpmodel

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How would the radian compare to a GP Spirit
glider with an equivalent power plant installed?
Old 10-19-2009, 04:22 AM
aeajr

If the Spirit had a similar power to weight ratio it would have a similar climb. It would need a more powerful motor to have that same power to weigh ratio.

The Tower Vista is essentially the Spirit without spoilers.

The Spirit has a higher wing loading than the Radian so it would tend to fly faster. The wood wings are stiffer so you don't get the flex that you get in a foam wing.

My Spirit has spoilers so I have those to help with landings.

Naturally the Spirit, being built up wood, is easier to break and harder to fix. But if you don't smack it up it flies great, but the Radian would have an advantage in very light lift.

Both are fun.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:32 AM
aeajr

Since the Radian is an RTF I have not measured the CG of the glider. However I have suspected that mine was a bit nose heavy.

I was flying when a gust of wind blew the canopy off. As it floated to the ground I continued to fly. I noticed that Radian seemed to fly better with the hatch off. Only one reason for that, CG. Removing the hatch made the nose lighter and sure enough the glider was turning better and thermaling better.

When I landed I put the hatch back on ( with a rubberband) and taped a penny on the fuse just in front of the tail. That worked pretty good, but I am going to try a quarter the next time I take it out.

I have the battery as far back as it will go and the plane flies fine, but I guess, as a glider pilot, I can really appreciate a more rearward CG on this plane.

Give it a try. Tape a penny or a quarter on the fuse, just in front of the tail. Now go fly. See how you like it.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Frede2

"Tape a penny on the fuse, just in front of the tail. Now go fly. See how you like it."

I've tried it and I like it.
In fact, I currently have 2 pennys taped on, but am waiting on some totally calm air for final evaluation.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:07 PM
aeajr

I am begining to dislike the charger that comes with the Radian. With the variety of blink sequencies and a button to push it is easy to get it wrong. I left mine charging for an hour, only to discover that nothing got charged.

I will keep the charger in the box but I will be using my other lipo Cellpro 4s going forward.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 PM
CBM Racing

Mine has had the front repaired so often, and using 1800 battery, I pretty much had to add weight. I cut a slit in top of rudder and slipped in quarter smeared with gorilla glue. Then taped various coins to the rudder untill I liked the way it flew. Word of warning though! With anything taped to the rudder, mine would flutter like crazy in anything other than level flight. Even motoring up it would flutter. Vary scary when it looks like it's gonna flop itself to pieces[X(]. So, if you add weight, keep it off the rudder as it induces monster flutter. By the way, ended up using 3 quarters for balance, and haven't measured cog but I do know it's alot farther back than specified in manual. So, you can go a long ways back before it gets weird, good luck all!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:45 AM
aeajr

If you have been flying your Radian for a while and would like to work on your thermal soaring skills, you might find some useful tips here:

he Novice Lounge of the Eastern Soaring League
http://forums.flyesl.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=14

Have you guys been moving your CG back?  I find that the Radian flies much better with a more rearward CG.  I have had Radian pilots ask me why my Radian ( with all the bumps and bruises) flies so much better than theirs.   So I move their CG back a bit and "bingo" they have a better flying Radian.

Give it a try!

Old 08-31-2010, 03:42 AM
aeajr

It was just pointed out to me that a pilot flying a Radian took third place at the soaring NATs in the altitude limited e-glider competition.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/080210.pdf

Pretty cool for a plane that sells for $250 RTF flying against planes that cost over $1000.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:37 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It was a great morning at Titusville, Florida!

Super calm conditions and nice and warm!

Flew my Park Zone Radian along side Mark's Ultra-Lite Experimental Aircraft.

Select the FULL SCREEN option to really enjoy the Bird Eye View!

http://vimeo.com/14883640

Carlos
Old 09-12-2010, 08:03 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: aeajr
So I move their CG back a bit and ''bingo'' they have a better flying Radian.

Give it a try!

Do you have a specific thing you do?
Old 09-15-2010, 04:43 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just another SUPER day at the RC Club this morning and got to fly my Radian again with the Key Chain Video Camera on top of the right wing and unfortunately the angle was off and did not capture Mark's Ultra-Lite Experimental Aircraft when it came over out Club.

Here is the Video of this morning!

http://vimeo.com/15006410
Old 10-05-2010, 11:03 PM
AWINSHIP

Radian pro looks great I have one on order.I want to through out a crasy idea I have. I would like to take the Radian I have now and make it a twin engine. I am not sure what incidence to use and exactly how to mount yet,but it sure would be different. I would remove the single motor out front and replace it with a camera,no props in the pictures. Any ideas you may have would be appreciated.

If you think I am way out there let me know as well.Winter is comming up here soon and I need a project.
Regards
Adrian
Old 11-03-2010, 07:31 AM
aeajr

I was helping a new member of our club set-up his Radian on Saturday. 

Wind was blowing at about 12 mph and very turbulent so I did the maiden.  He did not take the sticks. 

After flying I added ballast to the wing rod to show him how adding weight could make the Radian easier to handle in the wind.

Have I mentioned that I really like this e-glider?    Love it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.