Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

First Heli

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:28 AM
rumbleb
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Heli

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered on numerous occassions, but just one more time please...
What's the best electric heli for a first timer? I'm looking at a T-Rex 500 for starters. I do have a Real Flight Sim and am able to hover and control the heli but so far that's it. Also, I have flown planes for a few years now.
Thanks for any help.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:43 AM
olefart

Default RE: First Heli

If I were you I WOULD NOT start out with a CPPM helicopter for several reasons.
1) I you are just learning helis, you WILL crash alot. Parts are very expensive for these helis.
2) the learning curve is long, and you may get very discouraged before you succeed.
3) even though you have flown a CPPM heli on a sim, when you get to the "real world" you will find out that actual and sim flights are very different.
I would suggest going to an FP heli to learn the basic controlls on, such as a Nine Eagles Solo Pro. If you do go to the helicopter I wish you success... Good Luck
Old 10-18-2011, 07:28 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I'll give you the other side of the coin....

Start whereever you want to start with helicopters. I've seen people start with 90 sized nitro machines. The fact is that parts get expensive the bigger you go in size, but if your wallet can take it, why not? I've also seen people get frustrated with simple coaxiaor fixed pitch helicopters to the point that they do not want to try helicopters anymore.

The big catch here, is that if you inted to try collective pitch helicopters to start with, I recommend the help of an experienced helicopter pilot to guide you along. His experience and availability on site will be much more valuable than any advise that you could get here.

Rafael
Old 10-18-2011, 07:46 AM
olefart

Well, have to agree with you Rafael23cc... Collective pitch helicopters are hard to learn, but the job can be made easier, with less cost and frustration if you have a coach (trainer) with you to teach you as you go.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:22 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

CCPM?

CCPM isn't the only means of collective pitch btw.

As Raphael says, get the best you can afford. The bigger they are the easier they are to see and the more stable they fly.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:48 PM
rumbleb
My Feedback: (1)

Thank you gentlemen for your help, I appreciate it. I think it's time to rethink my approach. I can remember the airplane learning curve and I think the helicopter learning curve may be more difficult. The CPPM heli will probably be put on hold in favor of something more suited for a beginner.
Thanks again!
Old 12-07-2011, 10:45 PM
MattyWhite

As I read this thread I was encourage to have my first electric heli. Can you suggest another heli for beginners Rafael23cc?
Old 12-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: MattyWhite

As I read this thread I was encourage to have my first electric heli. Can you suggest another heli for beginners Rafael23cc?
I don't suggest specific brands or models. Find your local flying group, or find a local pilot to show you at the same time he answers any questions. Ask him why he flies the helicopter that he flies and how available are the spare parts.

Here are a couple of links to get you started:
[link]http://modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx[/link]
[link]http://www.pilotlocator.net/[/link]

I have very little experience with electric helicopters. Most of my experience is with the TRex 450, and the Cypher 3D (both 450 sized helis). I can give you general pointers to size and type of heli but not electric specific.

Do a search here under my login name, and you will find a lot of information. You can also do a search using BarracudaHockey's name to find a lot more information.

Rafael
Old 12-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Grooverc

I also need the suggestion. What is the best for a newbie?