Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

I've Played with the Toy Grade Heli's Now What?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

I've Played with the Toy Grade Heli's Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:49 AM
alps779

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've Played with the Toy Grade Heli's Now What?

I purchased a couple World Tech gyro Heli toys; had a lot of fun with them. I'm ready to move into the hobby class.
I'd love some advise about which company's have the best reputation, sturdy construction, ease of parts buying, affordable? Since I'm still new I'd like to stay with the gyro and I'd like to move up to 4 channel. I would like to fly outside with enough power to overcome light air.
Any advise will be appreciated!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:59 PM
karlik

I tried to research the one you have - it appears all it has is a basic tail gyro, which pretty much all of 'em have. Unless your documentation specifies something more than that (and with a toy grade in that price range I doubt it) don't worry.

A lot of people are learning on the WLtoys V911. Inexpensive, seems to fill the requirements of a trainer (never flew one so I'm going by what I read), parts are available, most forums have a few dedicated discussions going on with modifications etc. This would be the best answer to your last qualification - affordable.

For the other 3 qualifications - I'd go with Blade. Well made, last time I looked parts for the first model they made are still available. Most local hobby stores carry blade, so you probably have a local source. Stay away from coaxials outside. The MSR and the120 come to mind. Some people start with something like the MCPX collective pitch, but I wouldn't do that unless you have an experienced heli pilot to help you set it up and learn.

And if you can get past the fact that it doesn't look like a helicopter - there are quads. They fly the same, the controls are the same, you'll develop the muscle memory you need. They are much more stable than say a v911 or SR120, and do better in a crash. A quad would be my first choice.
This from WLtoys -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-OeB6peWrY

I don't know if the wind was strong as he said, but that is quite a breeze. I'm sure pilot skill was involved, so don't expect to fly in any wind at first.

Just my oppinions - and none of my suggestions may be right for you - but it's a start.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:44 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also say go with Blade . Horizon Hobby has great service and the Blade stuff works. You can buy a better entry level transmitter and buy the "bind and fly" models as you progress.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you plan on staying with the hobby I would go with a Blade mCPX....they are super durable....you will learn to fly a collective pitch...and you won't "outgrow" it. I do agree with Karlik about needing help with setup..unless you are a "technical" type person that does well getting information off the internet. I am self taught by just reading...asking questions...and crashing. The good news is...you can hover that mCPX in no time....forward flight will take a little patience. But heck...I've nosedived mine and all it usually does is pop a link off. Just another opinion. To me if you plan to fly outdoors at all you need a collective pitch. I'm sure there are large fixed pitch heli's you could get that can handle a breeze....but it won't be long and you'll be wanting a collective pitch.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:52 PM
torelentless

Blades the way to go. learned on a msr was above my skill at the time but after switchin to low rates was fine. 4 years later still love this heli.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:33 AM
linda82

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by karlik

I tried to research the one you have - it appears all it has is a basic tail gyro, which pretty much all of 'em have. Unless your documentation specifies something more than that (and with a toy grade in that price range I doubt it) don't worry.

A lot of people are learning on the WLtoys V911. Inexpensive, seems to fill the requirements of a trainer (never flew one so I'm going by what I read), parts are available, most forums have a few dedicated discussions going on with modifications etc. This would be the best answer to your last qualification - affordable.

For the other 3 qualifications - I'd go with Blade. Well made, last time I looked parts for the first model they made are still available. Most local hobby stores carry blade, so you probably have a local source. Stay away from coaxials outside. The MSR and the120 come to mind. Some people start with something like the MCPX collective pitch, but I wouldn't do that unless you have an experienced heli pilot to help you set it up and learn.

And if you can get past the fact that it doesn't look like a helicopter - there are quads. They fly the same, the controls are the same, you'll develop the muscle memory you need. They are much more stable than say a v911 or SR120, and do better in a crash. A quad would be my first choice.
This from WLtoys -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-OeB6peWrY

I don't know if the wind was strong as he said, but that is quite a breeze. I'm sure pilot skill was involved, so don't expect to fly in any wind at first.

Just my oppinions - and none of my suggestions may be right for you - but it's a start.

Thanks Karlik, it's very usefull info

Last edited by linda82; 03-01-2014 at 10:57 AM.