RCU Forums - View Single Post - I've Played with the Toy Grade Heli's Now What?
Old 02-28-2014, 02:33 AM
linda82

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by karlik

I tried to research the one you have - it appears all it has is a basic tail gyro, which pretty much all of 'em have. Unless your documentation specifies something more than that (and with a toy grade in that price range I doubt it) don't worry.

A lot of people are learning on the WLtoys V911. Inexpensive, seems to fill the requirements of a trainer (never flew one so I'm going by what I read), parts are available, most forums have a few dedicated discussions going on with modifications etc. This would be the best answer to your last qualification - affordable.

For the other 3 qualifications - I'd go with Blade. Well made, last time I looked parts for the first model they made are still available. Most local hobby stores carry blade, so you probably have a local source. Stay away from coaxials outside. The MSR and the120 come to mind. Some people start with something like the MCPX collective pitch, but I wouldn't do that unless you have an experienced heli pilot to help you set it up and learn.

And if you can get past the fact that it doesn't look like a helicopter - there are quads. They fly the same, the controls are the same, you'll develop the muscle memory you need. They are much more stable than say a v911 or SR120, and do better in a crash. A quad would be my first choice.
This from WLtoys -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-OeB6peWrY

I don't know if the wind was strong as he said, but that is quite a breeze. I'm sure pilot skill was involved, so don't expect to fly in any wind at first.

Just my oppinions - and none of my suggestions may be right for you - but it's a start.

Thanks Karlik, it's very usefull info

Last edited by linda82; 03-01-2014 at 10:57 AM.