Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

what should i go for ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

what should i go for ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 06:48 PM
K_Tar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what should i go for ?

Hi there every 1. i am a fixed wing flyer, forget that now. after i flew a heli the last week. all i can think of is heli's, it was the spy kind of heli cheeeeeeep ones. lol
any way. i wanna get deep into heli's and start with a very reliable electric and repairable heli. i'm planing to grow with this hobby for long. i want to gradually climb to 3D. man i can't wait. so the question is. what should i go for ???

i was told to go for a Humming bird electric. i want something more powerfull, and that i can improve on. i thought about the JR Voyager electric too. my problem is with flight time, i need a little more flight time. and i want a goooood radio that will last for time too. i was again told to go for JR 8103 something that has 8 ch.

so what do u say..

thnx
Old 10-12-2003, 07:37 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: what should i go for ?

The best start is a simulator.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:00 PM
rscamp

Simulator.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:52 PM
astronut30
My Feedback: (5)

As far as a radio, I personally own an Airtronics RD 6000 Super, it is a great quality radio and has everything you need for both heli's and planes and an 8 model memory. Very nice precision stick feel and looks and feels awesome. I've heard good things about the Hitec Eclipse 7 also so either of these two are very nice radios without breaking the bank.

The best way to start off with a heli is a Lite Machines Corona, the micro's aren't the optimum way to start but if budget were a factor then a Hummingbird would be the most durable that I flew and as stable as micro's come.

If you do have an experienced heli pilot around to help you though, then go straight to a cp heli, I owned a Voyager E and it is nice and a smooth heli on a brushless set up but the money you'd end up spending into that, you might as well get a Logo 10 which is an awesome ultra smooth and stable precise machine straight out of the box.

Now the Eolo which I also have but haven't yet flown it as I'm waiting on batteries is another choice for you if you went cp. I've heard great things about it and you can save a little initial funds by just putting in a brushed motor set up. It is smaller than a Logo 10, it's about the size of a Corona and just a tad smaller than the Voyager E.

So it also depends on what size you want, if you want a cp and want something on the smaller side than go Eolo! If you want something a bit bigger and can spend more $$ go Logo 10!

If you don't have anyone to help you physically, again go with a Corona as it is fixed pitch and it is very durable. It's going to be more relaxing to learn on it because it is very crash friendly. It also is waaaay more stable than a micro so it will be a lot easier to learn on it vs a micro. I've averaged apprx. $5 per crash when I learned with my Corona so this is the most important factor when learning. If you were to tip or crash any of the cp heli's you're proabably looking at more like $40-$300 if you tipped or crash depending on which one. You may find that you want to go to a cp heli soon after you learn to hover with the Corona like I did mainly because it gets breezy/windy here and a cp handles wind a ton better than a fp. No biggie though as the Corona holds it's resale value quite nicely because of it's popularity and reputation. You can learn the basics on the Corona and move on later. If you can fly the Corona, you can fly all the bigger birds, as a matter of fact, all the same size and bigger cp birds are easier and a lot more fun to fly because of the more precision control you have over it. It just might take a little getting used to the instantaneous response you have with a cp heli.

Anyways, I hope this helps...
Old 10-13-2003, 08:18 AM
slovac

1.) Get a GOOD simulator
2.) Buy the best radio you can afford (JR 8103 is a great radio, but it has already been replaced by the JR PCM9X in my country)
3.) Buy the best gyro you can afford with a matching digital servo. (for a 30 - 60 size heli go for Futaba GY401 with matching 9253 servo)

I own a hummingbird and fly it with an Airtronics RD6000 and do not have any hassles there (only uses 4 channels). I also own a JR Voyager 50 and fly it with a JR PCM9X. I flew my Voyager 50 with the RD6000 for a while but realised that the radio was just not good enough for me to use with a nitro heli. I am sure I am not the first person to upgrade from a 6 channel radio to an 8 or 9 channel radio.
Just keep that in mind when you make your purchase.

I am full of opinions today, so here are another one or two:
For the price of an electric heli, you buy a 30 size heli. (here in South Africa)
The flight times of electric and nitro helis are more or less the same ... 8 - 10 minutes when hovering.
If you want powerfull, with room for improvement, go for a 50 size heli (Raptor 50 v2 or JR Voyager 50 or any other 50 size).
Before you buy anything find somebody that already flies helis in your area, and become his/her best friend, because you will need their help when setting up the heli for the first time and also to show you the ropes.

it comes down to two things:
1.)budget
2.) personal preference

Hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:46 PM
K_Tar

thnx a lot guys that was just great.
then i will go for the best radio i can afford.
from there i will start with a heli as a trainer, maybe the humming bird i have a great offer for it, then i will graduate and so.

again guys thnx a lot plz i need more and more input.