RCU Forums - View Single Post - what should i go for ?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2003, 08:18 AM
slovac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what should i go for ?

1.) Get a GOOD simulator
2.) Buy the best radio you can afford (JR 8103 is a great radio, but it has already been replaced by the JR PCM9X in my country)
3.) Buy the best gyro you can afford with a matching digital servo. (for a 30 - 60 size heli go for Futaba GY401 with matching 9253 servo)

I own a hummingbird and fly it with an Airtronics RD6000 and do not have any hassles there (only uses 4 channels). I also own a JR Voyager 50 and fly it with a JR PCM9X. I flew my Voyager 50 with the RD6000 for a while but realised that the radio was just not good enough for me to use with a nitro heli. I am sure I am not the first person to upgrade from a 6 channel radio to an 8 or 9 channel radio.
Just keep that in mind when you make your purchase.

I am full of opinions today, so here are another one or two:
For the price of an electric heli, you buy a 30 size heli. (here in South Africa)
The flight times of electric and nitro helis are more or less the same ... 8 - 10 minutes when hovering.
If you want powerfull, with room for improvement, go for a 50 size heli (Raptor 50 v2 or JR Voyager 50 or any other 50 size).
Before you buy anything find somebody that already flies helis in your area, and become his/her best friend, because you will need their help when setting up the heli for the first time and also to show you the ropes.

it comes down to two things:
1.)budget
2.) personal preference

Hope this helps.